New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Oct 12, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #826 of 1,965
  I had, but looking at graphs (which I ended up knowing a great deal about as an electrical engineer as well as audiophile), hearing about unnatural mids (closed cup coloration) and slight v-shape, I decided these weren't for me. Despite my issues with the old t5p, I liked them a lot and heard that the 2nd gen fixed some of the shouty upper mids and the bass. I could definitely deal with the treble, even if unchanged

However, due to hearing about lack of isolation and not finding great prices on them I decided to get the PM-3. Theres a whole lot of time for me to try new things out and go to meets, buying blind is too dangerous. I'll enjoy the PM-3s and I won't look like a goof with huge headphones, plus I'm kind of a die-hard ortho fan. I keep trying to buy dynamic headphones, then selling them 
redface.gif

Btw, Oppo PM-3 comes with 4-pole balanced wiring TRRS although the stock cable is TRS. It means you can simply buy a 3.5mm TRRS cable (HiFiMan pole scheme) and enjoy a bit better SQ out of Balanced Out of some DAC/Amps and DAPs like DP-X1 (2.5mm TRRS/AK scheme). The pads can be hot in summer. There were some other brand soft velour pads that fit PM3. Look around. Also, the synergy with Oppo HA-2 is excellent. Now it is Oppo HA-2SE. :) Congrats!

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #827 of 1,965

29639168063_8899d7e90d_c.jpg

30183809461_e210da2c86_c.jpg

30183808831_ee8f86165d_c.jpg

HiFi im Hinterhof - a great place to shop headphones. They were also the place where the one of the first Pan-European Head-fi meets were held. And it was at that place I heard the first newly released T5p for the first time. I didn't like them at first... but later I ended up loving them and owned a pair for some years. They have now been replaced by the DT-1770. Maybe I should try the T5p2 soon....

I also remember someone at that meet with the T1 serial number 0001 :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #828 of 1,965
HiFi im Hinterhof - a great place to shop headphones. They were also the place where the one of the first Pan-European Head-fi meets were held. And it was at that place I heard the first newly released T5p for the first time. I didn't like them at first... but later I ended up loving them and owned a pair for some years. They have now been replaced by the DT-1770. Maybe I should try the T5p2 soon....

I also remember someone at that meet with the T1 serial number 0001 :)

lol I know Hifi im Hinterhof as well, but the shop in Offenbach, not the one in Berlin.
It is indeed a great place for audio maniacs.
I spent several salaries over there but mainly on speakers. I was young, double income no kids, plenty of time to enjoy my setup at home....

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #829 of 1,965
Despite buying the Elear's and P9s (which are going back, way too bassy) recently, I was still getting drawn towards the T5P.2's for some reason.  I finally got a pair today and can see why I was drawn to them, they are wonderful sounding cans.  I'm using them with my Plenue S with a silver balanced cable and to me, they outclass the Elear's using the same. The Elear's are no slouch but the T5P.2's have a little more clarity, better soundstage and imaging too. I think my Elear's will be going up for sale. Superb!

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #830 of 1,965

HiFi im Hinterhof - a great place to shop headphones. They were also the place where the one of the first Pan-European Head-fi meets were held. And it was at that place I heard the first newly released T5p for the first time. I didn't like them at first... but later I ended up loving them and owned a pair for some years. They have now been replaced by the DT-1770. Maybe I should try the T5p2 soon...

I can easily believe that. 
beerchug.gif
I wonder if there is any other such dedicated Headphone listening room anywhere else. I was very lucky to find them because it was a last-minute idea on a very short trip!!!

Re. T5pG2s - I have a lot of testing to do* but I'm very pleased with what I've heard so far... !
beyersmile.png

*with two top (portable) sources as well as the different pads as I also opted to buy the T1 velour pads to see which I prefer in terms of comfort, acoustics and isolation.

30211656222_650c731fc0_c.jpg

29697508234_9eb3e87066_c.jpg

30241814481_72f460de4b_c.jpg

30211657712_582c9c5aeb_c.jpg

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #833 of 1,965
Hey guys, considering buying these, as I want a portable that I can use at my desk space at work. Unfortunately, I fear that these may leak a bit too much, as my bosses sit about 6 feet behind me, one directly behind, two on each side about 8 feet apart. I don't want to bug them, and I also have a coworker who sits next to me, maybe 3 feet away...

This one's hard to answer. But at (my) "normal" listening levels* it depends on the average frequency range of the music. Female vocals will be heard much of the time in, say, a 1m~1.5m radius (3~5ft) ditto for strings and horns. Base ~ midrange tones are less noticeable despite the port being presumably to improve bass response. In your case it depends how "busy" the office is. multiple workstations, printers etc. will help to mask 90% of the leakage but still not 100% due to the different frequency ranges.

I will be using mine in an adjoining room (no doors) which places me over 5M (15ft) from my partner. In such a scenario, it's not a topic. Even say, 3M would / should do the trick for 99% of frequencies and dynamic peaks. And in this scenario I am talking about a dead-silent environment (partner's sleeping, reading a book, etc). If someone's watching TV on the other side of the living room then there is NO chance they will hear you
wink.gif
But there's a good chance you will hear them (these do not isolate as well as, say, the 1770s PM-3s)
rolleyes.gif

*My normal volume for 90% of my music: 32ohms -> Mojo's vol. indicators both set to medium~high red. It would certainly be a little higher if I was using the same in a busy environment, say public transportation (but for that scenario I prefer IEMs).

Here's the culprit!
30327411475_ed6fc890f0_c.jpg

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #835 of 1,965
Oct 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #837 of 1,965
  Despite buying the Elear's and P9s (which are going back, way too bassy) recently, I was still getting drawn towards the T5P.2's for some reason.  I finally got a pair today and can see why I was drawn to them, they are wonderful sounding cans.  I'm using them with my Plenue S with a silver balanced cable and to me, they outclass the Elear's using the same. The Elear's are no slouch but the T5P.2's have a little more clarity, better soundstage and imaging too. I think my Elear's will be going up for sale. Superb!

Hope this helps MunDa.

Anyone else wondering why measurements and reviews from venerable and prolific headphone veterans (InnerFidelity etc.) are missing for this particular pair of headphones?

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #838 of 1,965

My bad! Thanks for correcting me.
beerchug.gif

LOL you made me "speechless"....
In the beginning of the T5p2, there were these leakage discussions and with this wholes.... and accidently i had my DT1770 (which is for sale right now) in my hands and thought "OMG, there are at least some too ... :wink:". 
I very curious about further feedback and it is just great to switch between first and second generation and have this flavours based on my mood. From my perspective the DT1770 tonal tuning is more cousin as that both T5p are brothers and sisters LOL... yeah i think it is the beer.... 

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #839 of 1,965
Have to say...after a long road of searching, I believe these are my end game closed phones for a while. Within the last year I've had the Oppo PM 3, Audeze Sine, Audeze EL-8 Titanium, TH-X00, Momentum 2, Bose QC25, NAD HP50, P7, Beyer DT1770, and some of the other recommended closed phones, but all were either sold or returned for one reason or another. I think I can finally stop (for a while) and just enjoy these.

So I have to ask... are you still holding on to your T5p.2s? If not, what followed and what's on your head right now?

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
In my experience, the DT1770 has definitely got more bass quantity ... Furthermore the sound seems to be more direct on your ears which is due to the angled driver in the T5P. Therefore the soundstage on the DT1770 seemed smaller, but still large for a closed headphones ... On higher levels the treble on the DT1770 got more harsh. I guess the signature is a slight v or u curve.
The resolution of both headphones didn't differ to much, I guess the T5P had a slight edge. However, that could also be attributed to the different emphasis on the bass and treble.
The T5P seemed more natural to my ears, having a more balanced, though still little warm signature. This also meant less tiring in my case. I absolutely loved its holographic soundstage. ... The bass was great and much better than on T5P first gen which I didn't like as much as the dt1770 in a first comparison. The second gen however seemed perfect to my ears on that aspect. The build quality on both was great. The clamping on the dt1770 is noticeably higher, probably resulting in a better resolution...

First off, great analysis, thank you 
cool.gif
 I had the opportunity to try the DT 1770 Pro along with the T5p.2 T1.2 and A&K T1p. Coming from an open-can background I couldn't manage to fully appreciate the 1770s finding them "slightly" dark and veiled. On the other side of the spectrum, the T1.2 and A&K T1ps were too "thin" for my taste. While the T1p is a 32-ohm version of the T1.2, they seemed to be much closer in character than either one is with the T5p.2. FYI, I was using a Chord Mojo for the auditions.
Bass is perfect on the T5p.2s while the treble seems to be ever-so-slightly rolled off so I can understand why many describe them as balanced. Personally, I'm hoping for a bit more HF over time as they break in. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I haven't tried a portable amp but the T5p's seem to be sensitive to source/amps. I was using a good quality amp/source (Yulong A18/D18).  The T5p's sounded very good but my Audeze LC2's sounded better.  I recently switched to a Burson Conductor Virtuoso.  The Audeze continue to sound great but not much change.  The T5p, on the other hand, now sound sublime.  They are blowing the doors off my Audeze.  The T5p and the Burson is the best combo I've ever heard.  Both amps have plenty of power so I don't think the wattage has anything to do with it.  It just seems like the T5p's gel better with some equipment than others.

I agree. I don't have your level of HW but simply going from the Mojo to the AK320 changed the T5p.2's signature enough that I was taken by surprise. My comments above were based on the Mojo as DAC but with the AK320 I'd have to claim a slight veil and more of a roll-off of HF. I even started to question the soundstage which felt like it was closing in with the AK320. Now in the AK320s defence, none of these issues are apparent when paired with the JHA Angies, Etymotic ER-4S or Grado SR225. Maybe these have a surplus in both HF and soundstage so that they pair well with the "warm" AK320... 
smile.gif

I also own a Dragonfly Red but haven't had the opportunity to try that combo and tbh I can't imagine anything good can come from that pairing... . So again, I am right behind you and your assessment - the  T5p.2 needs proper pairing with source! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
... As for the bass reproduction, yes there's a big difference. T5p.2 has really rich and deep bass that doesn't get "muddy" (if that is the correct term to describe it) I enjoy the bass section of T5p.2 with almost every genre I listen to... T1.2 is another story. I find it to be better tuned than T5p.2 The bass is not as deep as T5p.2 but it doesn't mean that it is lacking. It is as punchy as T5p and I tend to enjoy rock and especially heavy metal more with T1.2. Being an open-back headphone, the overall feel is airy, including the bass. All in all they are both exceptional headphones and I think they compliment one another ... The three biggest difference would be, 1 - The bass, 2 - The airy sound and as a result better imaging or sound stage of T1.2  and 3 - T1.2 is a little bit brighter than T5p.2 ...

Yes, the T1.2 is quite a bit brighter - in a good way (imho). Reading all of the above opinions including yours and I find myself day-dreaming of a T5p.3 with the HF of the T1.2s, the LFs of the T5p.2s and maybe just a tad larger soundstage than the T5p.2 - which already has a very impressive soundstage for closed cans. After listening to them for a while and then switching to my old but faithful Grado 225s, I feel a bit "lost", as if the 225s have too much air (is that even possible?). 
beerchug.gif

Owning both JH Audio's Angie and Etymotic ER-4S IEMs, I think I am getting used to "bright" signatures... . Thus it is very easy for me to produce a frown when wearing something like the Oppo PM-3s. The combination of a smaller (closed-can) soundstage and slightly rolled-off HF make such cans way too dark. The Grado 225s aren't as bright per se, but the airy, expansive soundstage makes it easier to distinguish the higher frequencies, if that makes any sense... 
tongue.gif

30241813391_9e19ae87a8_c.jpg

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #840 of 1,965

Hope this helps MunDa.

Anyone else wondering why measurements and reviews from venerable and prolific headphone veterans (InnerFidelity etc.) are missing for this particular pair of headphones?

If my memory serves me correctly, Tyll didn't care much for the T-1 and as far as I know he never reviewed it. I'm not sure if he cares for any Beyerdynamic product for that matter. I do not agree with him sometimes but to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back