New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #3,106 of 3,924
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3,108 of 3,924
I'm on my 2nd pair of black T1.2; previous one was brand new and I didn't give it a real chance, sold it within 2 weeks time. My journey let me to the high-end world of closed back headphones (Focal Stellia) and back to high-end open (Stax SR-007 mk2). When I decided to sell my Stellia's I knew I had to buy back a pair of T5.2 since I have had seller remorse since the day I sold them. Again the T5.2 prove to be one of the headphones that really suit my taste and so I decided to bid on an auction for a used pair of black T1.2's, mint.
Those have been on my head every day since I got them (which is about a month back), combined with some tube love from the xduoo ta-20. In sheer detail retrieval and speed the Stax is king in this house but for musicality ... I like these T1.2 more then I thought when I put down my bid. Imaging and depth are spot on, if I have any complain it would be that the T1.2 is a bit bright though never fatiguing. I'm glad I gave the T1.2 a 2nd chance!

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #3,109 of 3,924
I'm on my 2nd pair of black T1.2; previous one was brand new and I didn't give it a real chance, sold it within 2 weeks time. My journey let me to the high-end world of closed back headphones (Focal Stellia) and back to high-end open (Stax SR-007 mk2). When I decided to sell my Stellia's I knew I had to buy back a pair of T5.2 since I have had seller remorse since the day I sold them. Again the T5.2 prove to be one of the headphones that really suit my taste and so I decided to bid on an auction for a used pair of black T1.2's, mint.
Those have been on my head every day since I got them (which is about a month back), combined with some tube love from the xduoo ta-20. In sheer detail retrieval and speed the Stax is king in this house but for musicality ... I like these T1.2 more then I thought when I put down my bid. Imaging and depth are spot on, if I have any complain it would be that the T1.2 is a bit bright though never fatiguing. I'm glad I gave the T1.2 a 2nd chance!

I found the T1.2 does take a bit to break-in. They are very musical headphones with excellent depth and imaging. Not the lass word in terms of detail or speed I agree, that's what I have my modded DT 480 for. They're a strangely addicting headphone to listen to. The upper treble does have some emphasis but never too much nor fatiguing, but I'm personally more sensitive to upper mids and I personally find them quite dark due to their more relaxed upper mids.

What made you decide to let go of the Stellia?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #3,110 of 3,924
Stax SR-007 would be the answer we all can agree upon but when I listened to the MMX-300 (which imo is a better tuned DT-770) and heard the difference between €300 and €3000 .... it was just too close for comfort and hell we all know beyerdynamic is comfort!

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,111 of 3,924
Stax SR-007 would be the answer we all can agree upon but when I listened to the MMX-300 (which imo is a better tuned DT-770) and heard the difference between €300 and €3000 .... it was just too close for comfort and hell we all know beyerdynamic is comfort!

Ah so the MMX-300 made you question the actual value of the Stellia's sound quality. Never had the chance to hear the MMX-300, I did hear the DT 150 which is an excellent closed-back Beyer too. Honestly when I found the DT 480 and started modding it, it killed any interest in any other closed-back as to me it's the best headphone I've owned, the T1.2 doesn't quite reach it's sound quality. It's just as musical but it's faster, more detailed, and has even better imaging and depth, but it weighs 500g and is seal sensitive(I wear glasses so a minor problem). To me if you find the right Beyer or even modify and/or EQ one offer the best value for your money of any headphone manufacturer.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #3,112 of 3,924
Don't get me wrong, the Stellia ís the best closed back I have ever heard. For me it was about value for the money in the end. The Stax has the most transparent sound I'd ever seek in a pair of headphones but no form of sound blocking. The Stellia did have that but was less durable IMO. Stellia discoloured a bit due to sweat and use, while imo a headphone should be able to handle a bit of misuse.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,113 of 3,924
Don't get me wrong, the Stellia ís the best closed back I have ever heard. For me it was about value for the money in the end. The Stax has the most transparent sound I'd ever seek in a pair of headphones but no form of sound blocking. The Stellia did have that but was less durable IMO. Stellia discoloured a bit due to sweat and use, while imo a headphone should be able to handle a bit of misuse.

I was expecting the Stellia to be one of the best closed-backs but it does cost quite a bit. Discoloration is a bit of a concern on a headphone so expensive. I was worried about the color scheme of the Stellia having discoloration issues with use. I agree a headphone should be able to handle some misuse and even better if it can handle a lot of misuse. Do you find the semi-open T1.2 to block enough noise for your use? I personally find it enough, while not closed it isolates enough to make me ignore background noise.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #3,114 of 3,924
One of the reasons I went for closed back headphones was the girlfriend factor :wink: the T1 blocks a bit of her skype noise but it's never enough (again phun intended).
Here is where the T5p does shine.

Same goes for the teenager factor, the fortnite factor ... I love family :)

The T1 is more enjoyable if the others are quit enough for sure.
The T5p is what keeps me sane, since it's 95% of the T1 with more private space.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3,115 of 3,924

great post! The Xduoo T-10 and T-20 were on my mind as well. Glad to learn that you think it works well with the T1.2. Would you consider the T-20 amp to be versatile enough for other dynamics? I know that tube is not particularly good for planar (and I might grab a pair for my next purchase), but given that I already own a Senn and a Beyer, I am strongly considering purchasing the Xduuo. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #3,116 of 3,924
great post! The Xduoo T-10 and T-20 were on my mind as well. Glad to learn that you think it works well with the T1.2. Would you consider the T-20 amp to be versatile enough for other dynamics? I know that tube is not particularly good for planar (and I might grab a pair for my next purchase), but given that I already own a Senn and a Beyer, I am strongly considering purchasing the Xduuo. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
The Xduoo amp is quite neutral, but can be coloured using the tubes. It's a good amp for the money.

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #3,117 of 3,924
It’s funny you say that!
I’m also on my second pair of T1.2 now. I sold my first pair a couple of months ago, and have regretted it ever since.
I’m listening to my new pair with almost ‘fresh ears’. And they sound great. They also ‘scale’ very well. I’ve added a Chord M Scaler to my setup since I let my first pair go, and they just sound great at the end of the chain. I’m never going to make the same mistake again!

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #3,119 of 3,924
Can anyone compare the T1 Gen 2 bass to the DT880 for me, more/less?. I'm thinking of buying a used T1.2 and the DT880 is my only reference for Beyer house sound. Similar sound signature?

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #3,120 of 3,924
Lastly, if I did want to replace the headband, is it difficult?

And where would I buy the headband padding from?

The only real place you can find a replacement is from Beyer. If you check under their spare parts page they offer a replacement service. I tried contacting them for the same service for a pair of T5P's i'm currently restoring. Haven't heard back from them so I might just might pull off the padding when I replace the slide stoppers and use the 990 wrapping pad over the band instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back