New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #2,642 of 3,925
It is the 8khz region that may not be everyone's cup of tea, so it is fine if some do not like that sound signature.

I have had some amps that make the mids and lower treble a tad harsh but now with the Audio-gd my T 1.1 are singing with great impact I have not heard before the high frequencies are really sweet too.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,643 of 3,925
Has anyone gone the path from DT990 Pro to T1.2?
I am using the DT990Pro (250 Ohm) thru a Little Dot MKIII and and the sound is amazing.
I mainly listen to classic rock, prog rock, fusion, acoustic, some classical.
The sound is powerful but airy (every instrument has lots of space around it), the bass is extremely well defined.
Now, I have an opportunity to upgrade to the T1.2 but I cannot audition it.
What I expect is that I will have the same powerful, dynamic sound with well defined bass and extended highs that are easy on the ear but perhaps little more details??
Perhaps I should just stick with the 990Pro as I absolutely love it...

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,644 of 3,925
I am using the DT990Pro (250 Ohm) thru a Little Dot MKIII and and the sound is amazing.
The sound is powerful but airy (every instrument has lots of space around it), the bass is extremely well defined.
What I expect is that I will have the same powerful, dynamic sound with well defined bass and extended highs that are easy on the ear but perhaps little more details??

I've owned DT990 PRO in the past although not side by side with my current T1 (2nd Gen)
Bass is flatter on the T1 (2nd Gen) and the overall character is somehow warmer/sweeter next to the slightly drier presentation of DT990 PRO.
Keep in mind T1 is closer to DT880 in terms of design. Soundstage on the T1 is different in shape, more layered and sounds are more focused. You get a much more controlled sound across the board with more midrange presence. In my experience DT990 PRO has more presence in the 6kHz region relative to the smoother T1.

In many ways, Tesla T1 is more of an improved DT880 (600).
I think DT1990PRO might get you closer to the improved DT990PRO you seem to be looking for.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #2,645 of 3,925
Only heard the DT990 Pros in a store, so take it with a pinch of salt. Both have the typical Beyer sound, but the T1.2s have some additional coloring. On the teslas there's a lot of space around every instrument like you described, however unlike on the DT990 Pros the air between instruments has a touch of warmth to it instead of feeling empty. Personally I find this awesome. The T1.2s are warm and bright, airy and rich at the same time. This is subjective obviously, but for me the T1.2s are also an improvement in sound signature. Please note that this is the T1.2 thread, meaning people who like the sound signature of the Beyer flagships over other headphones' are over-represented here. Hot treble and incoherent sound are the top complaints I hear from people who don't like them. After the DT990 Pros I don't think you would have a problem with the treble. As for the sound being incoherent, some people like to hear music as a "single entity". On the T1.2s different parts of the music can live their own independent lives. This has to do with the big soundstage, good extension at both ends and (very) high resolving power. The warmth somewhat glues the music together, but it doesn't stop the sound from being airy and open. I'd say if you like multi BA IEMs this is probably something you will rather love than hate. Instead of trying to relax the listener, the T1.2s tries to overwhelm and impress. Overall the T1.2s are not a far cry from the DT990 Pros (it's not like you're upgrading from the HD650s), but the small changes are something you may or may not like.

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,648 of 3,925
Thank you both Me x3 and Vergil for sharing your thoughts on this.
Also, do you use the stock cables?
I also use stock. Very nice, high quality cable. No reason to change it, unless you want different length or plug. Some Beyers like the Amirons come with cheapo cables. The T1.2s have the same premium cable you can buy separately from Beyer.

Check out the T1.2 Stock cable here. You can also buy the same stuff but shorter and with non-screw 6.5mm adapter here. There's even a balanced XLR cable here.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,649 of 3,925
Sold my T1.2’s and picked up the T1 90th Anniversary LE’s. They are more open and more dynamic sounding to my ears will still being musical headphones. I don’t mind that the cable isn’t interchangeable because they come preinstalled with a Cardas balanced cable. It also comes with a Cardas 1/4” adapter. I’m really liking what I’m hearing. Here they are next to my DT 1990’s

FFE31BF6-C410-41DC-8114-4CD01D71A200.jpeg

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,650 of 3,925
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,651 of 3,925
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #2,652 of 3,925
Got the T1 (2nd gen) 3 days ago, comparing with my previous T1 (1st gen, no. 8xxx).

Equipment: Prism Lyra1 headphone jack. Software: foobar2000 v1.4 . Music: mostly Japanese pop

General idea:
1st gen more airy and more expanded soundstage. 2nd gen more confined(like in a room with border). My ear was used to the airy sound of T1 (1st gen), and when I switched to 2nd gen it definitely feels darker. The 2nd gen has a different imaging (more like around you) compared to gen 1(in front of you, expanding left to right). Gen 2 is more energetic (engaging) and gen 1 is more relaxed (or plain). Human voice sounds a little bit laid back on the 2nd gen compared to 1st gen.

Examining the frequency response comparison posted #2650 in this thread and playing with the EQ really helped understanding the difference between these two gens. Let me first conclude the results: in foobar using the eq on board 1.8kHz-3.5kHz +4/+5dB, 7kHz-10kHz +4dB for T1 (2nd gen), you will probably find the "airy" of T1 (1st gen) while the bass sounds similar.

Here is the reasoning:
"Darker":
One may come to conclusion that 2nd gen has more bass than 1st gen after listening to them but actually they are not. The bass is nearly identical. This can be found by rising the 1.8-3.5kHz region. Rising this region can "expand" or "resolve" the sound more leading to a more relaxing(thin) sound. When listening to piano gen1 and gen 2 becomes pretty different since gen 2 piano do sounds more "boxy". Rising the 7-10kHz region really doesn't do much to the pianos to my ears.

The whole sibilance thing:
As for (female) vocals, T1 gen 1 has some sibilance(s, tz, z sounds) for some records while gen2 way less. But for gen 1 female voice sounds more open and natural overall.
I have to point out the sibilance at around 9-11kHz definitely has something related to human voice mastering techniques/recording quality/singer. For some singer I barely hear any sibilance, like 浜崎あゆみ - glitter, 玉置成実 - distance, 平井堅 - 瞳をとじて, kanade - 恋花(koibana), Lia - あなたがいるだけで(people probably more familiar with 鳥の詩), Suara - トモシビ (acoustic version). For these songs T1 (gen 1) definitely shines and sometimes triggers ASMR for me(sounds strange right? But it does trigger. My speculation is the adequate amount of 9-11kHz sound is causing a "whispering" effect near your ears. For gen 2 I never experience this). While others I find lots of sibilance, like 中島美嘉 - SAKURA~花霞~, RYTHEM - 20粒のココロ. For these songs although T1 (gen 1) is more airy the 9-11kHz peak really hurts and I have to turn down the volume. Gen 2 have no problems playing those songs. Also some singers have different sibilance levels in different albums, like 島谷ひとみ. No sibilance in 深紅 (original version), but definitely some sibilance in 真昼の月.
(I know most people here don't listen to Japanese songs, but these are really good songs :D)

Human voice:
When processing vocals in mastering, it is important to keep 3 parts of the human voice balanced(fundamental frequency, harmonics and sibilances). Fundamental frequency usually collides with instruments and different singers have different harmonics patterns. Usually more harmonics will be perceived as "good"/"stronger" voice. Bel Canto have lots of harmonics in the 3kHz area (秋川雅史 - 千の風になって). If you observe the frequency response comparison of gen 1 and gen 2, you will find that gen 2 is -5 dB around this region. No wonder I find gen 1 vocals more forward. More airy sound of gen 1 is related to the 7-10kHz 4-5dB increase compared to the gen 2. If you use EQ you will find that pretty easily.

It's a dilemma whether Beyerdynamic goes to suppress the 8-16kHz region or not since it really depends on the recording/mastering quality of the music. The overall sound quality for gen 1 and gen 2 is comparable and it's really a "side" upgrade depending on what you listen and your preferences. For me, both are not perfect since for gen 1 you do get 10kHz sibilance and for gen 2 you get a more laid back mid. On the other hand, both have strong points, for gen 1 you get more airy, open sound and for gen 2 you get more punching power/surrounding effects.

I'm not sure which one to keep!

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #2,653 of 3,925
You can always swap the pads to find out what you enjoy the most.
T1 (1st Gen) earpads can help the T1 (2nd Gen) with the sense of openness while Tesla T1 (2nd Gen) earpads can help the T1 (1st Gen) to produce a denser, more powerful type of sound.

I do own both Tesla T1 (1st Gen) and Tesla T1 (2nd Gen) but my T1 (1st Gen) is the one that's softer in the treble region.
It should be noted that my T1 (1st Gen) is a later unit than yours (s/n16.8xx)

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,654 of 3,925
sorry if it's a repeated question but i did not find the exact answer
how the T1.2 compared to the dt 1990 ?

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #2,655 of 3,925
So, I had the T1, 2nd Generation for two weeks now.

What the hell?

I own a ten year old dt990 that sounds WAY better.. The T1 only sounds good and flagship-like on a very selected few kinds of music. Gospel sounds breathtakingly good. Very small jazz ensembles also sound fantasic. As soon as more instruments come into the scene things fall aparat very quickly. Most Beatles-Songs (and not just the bright early ones) are almost unbearable with the T1s. They sound boring, dull, and almost with every song extremely sibliant and overly bright, like a pair of very cheap plasticy cans. Every can I own sounds better, from the DT990ies to the Fidelio X2s to the Grado RS2e.

Yes I know that many of you might love the T1s, and please do not taqke this as an attack on your preferences, but this is my honest opinion. I am very grateful for amazon's policy of letting me return products easily. And I am not the kind of guy who takes advantage of this. I do not order stuff and more stuff just to send it back again. But these cans are so bad I have no choice.

I do not know what happend to german and austrian headphone manufacturers. Okay, Sennheiser is still going strong, allthough I personally never fell in love with their house sound. But Beyerdynamic and AKG really messed up. I also had a pair of AKG K712, and I LOVED how they sounded. Only thing: After two weeks (!) the mini-xlr-connector fell apart. Litereally.

And now this horrible experiance with the T1. Most of the music I listen to (Tidal master, flacs, LPs) is unbearable with these. Most music sounds harsh and distorted even. Only quiet songs with little instrumentation shine. This is not acceptable for a flagship.

And before you ask: No, I did not drive them through an A1 or some other high class DAC: I put them to use on the headphonje jack of my 2.000-Dollar-AVR. And yes, I think that a headphone MUST show it's good side on an expansive Receiver/Amplyfier.

Maybe I got a lemon? Maybe the price Amazon offered was too good to be true (it was 755 Euro). And yeah, maybe I am a baffoon who cannot tell good cans from bad ones. But in my opinion, these are the worst by far that beyerdynamic every made under the tag "flagship".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back