New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,741 of 3,925
  My T1.2’s arrived today and I’ve started the burning process. First impressions? They sound pretty good out of the box connected to my Onkyo HA200. I was skeptical that this portable DAC/AMP with max 35mW per channel into 600 ohms might not be able to manage, but Beyerdynamic’s Paul Fattrosso assured me that it would pair very well with the T1.2, and it does. However, I’m a bit curious how they would sound if paired with something much more robust like a Schiit Valalla2 (450mW into 600 Ohms) and complementing Schiit DAC. Hoping someone can give insight and help my curiosity. And much thanks to bavink who helped me with the decision to go with the T1.2 over the T5p.2

I thought the same when I plugged my T1.2s into my iFi stack, kept thinking there must be a better solution as I didnt get the impression they were 'singing' as best they could even after burn in.  They were enjoyable don't get me wrong but I started to question my rig.  Sure enough I am now running them off a Beyer A2 amp and Chord Hugo with the ifi i-tube stage in the middle....wow, talk about addictive.  I would suggest attending meets, mini-meets, micro-meets, audio stores, whatever you need to do to try them with as many different peices of gear as you can until you mind something you can't live without.  Maybe avoid the Chord Dave just in case you like it...

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,742 of 3,925

I thought the same when I plugged my T1.2s into my iFi stack, kept thinking there must be a better solution as I didnt get the impression they were 'singing' as best they could even after burn in.  They were enjoyable don't get me wrong but I started to question my rig.  Sure enough I am now running them off a Beyer A2 amp and Chord Hugo with the ifi i-tube stage in the middle....wow, talk about addictive.  I would suggest attending meets, mini-meets, micro-meets, audio stores, whatever you need to do to try them with as many different peices of gear as you can until you mind something you can't live without.  Maybe avoid the Chord Dave just in case you like it...

I'm hoping for a bit of guidance before investing in a Beyer A2 + Chord Hugo (or similar) to pair with my T1.2s. I have two questions:

1. Will the Beyer A2 @ 100mW into 600 ohm add more bass to the T1.2s......My current Onkyo HA200 high gain outputs at 35mW and lacks bass when connected to T1.2s but not when connected to Fidelio X2 headphones rated at 30 ohms.

2. Will it make a difference if my main source of music is Spotify Premium. Thanks

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,743 of 3,925
I'm hoping for a bit of guidance before investing in a Beyer A2 + Chord Hugo (or similar) to pair with my T1.2s. I have two questions:

1. Will the Beyer A2 @ 100mW into 600 ohm add more bass to the T1.2s......My current Onkyo HA200 high gain outputs at 35mW and lacks bass when connected to T1.2s but not when connected to Fidelio X2 headphones rated at 30 ohms.

2. Will it make a difference if my main source of music is Spotify Premium. Thanks

I wouldn't encourage you to invest in anything without hearing it first. How much bass is just right? Do you like the Chord sound? Etc, these are very individual preferences. Some dealers will let you audition gear at home, worth checking it out if you don't have access to meets.

If you're looking for bass, I tried out the iFi iCan Pro and it's got lots of power and very tunable sound (3D and xbass - both expertly implemented), definitely worth a look (it's both solid state and/or tube).

Also, I find the T1.2 is most definitely not a bassy can, but if it's in the recording it'll push it out to your ears!

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,744 of 3,925
As a related suggestion, the SPL Auditor I used with my DT 880 600ohm was a stunning combination. The Auditor can do crazy voltage swings so that might be worth considering for T1 owners.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,746 of 3,925
  I need to haul butt and give this a try.

If you can find one, it appears they are pushing people toward the Phonitor 2 which I think has bells and whistles most people don't really need. The Auditor, and the Phonitor had the exact same amplification section in them, at least in the recent past, but perhaps it is different now? If you can find a used Auditor I suspect the price would be reasonable now and it really had stunning synergy with the DT 880 and I remember reading that some found the T1 with it the best they had heard. Now we are talking three or four years back, but really, amplification hasn't changed, so if the design was excellent then it will still be so now. Read up on it and see what you think.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,747 of 3,925
I wanted to chime in here before I pull any triggers. What's the verdict on 1st vs 2nd gen for electronica/edm and metal? It'll be paired with a Feliks Elise tube amp.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,749 of 3,925

Try T1 with other amps before investing that kind of money. Maybe T1 is not suitable for you and it seems bass shy to you. T1 is not hard to drive and doesn't need that  kind of Voltage swing.

I think source of music can make a difference when songs have low replay gain; But it's not very important for you at this stage.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,750 of 3,925

Fidelio X1/X2's bass is really boosted, it's one of the open back headphones with higher boost in the bass.
T1's bass is slightly raised vs neutral but far from the Fidelios.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,751 of 3,925
How T1.2 sounds with Chord Mojo ?
I am confused between T1 and Elear :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,753 of 3,925
Hi All, Sorry if this has been discussed already (I haven't made it through this whole thread yet), but can anyone comment on how the T1 vs. T1.2 fares in classical music? I've loved my T1 through a Woo 3 OTL for classical-- just wondering if the 2nd gen. is a significant upgrade in this genre or not. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,754 of 3,925
Hi All, Sorry if this has been discussed already (I haven't made it through this whole thread yet), but can anyone comment on how the T1 vs. T1.2 fares in classical music? I've loved my T1 through a Woo 3 OTL for classical-- just wondering if the 2nd gen. is a significant upgrade in this genre or not. Thanks.

Depends...T1.2 with its added bass could potentially be more engaging for big orchestral works, but the T1.1 is lighter on its feet in general, with a better performance in the highs.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,755 of 3,925
  My T1.2’s arrived today and I’ve started the burning process. First impressions? They sound pretty good out of the box connected to my Onkyo HA200. I was skeptical that this portable DAC/AMP with max 35mW per channel into 600 ohms might not be able to manage, but Beyerdynamic’s Paul Fattrosso assured me that it would pair very well with the T1.2, and it does. However, I’m a bit curious how they would sound if paired with something much more robust like a Schiit Valalla2 (450mW into 600 Ohms) and complementing Schiit DAC. Hoping someone can give insight and help my curiosity. And much thanks to bavink who helped me with the decision to go with the T1.2 over the T5p.2

I'm sure this is explained somewhere, but I didn't catch it in the last 25 or so pages I just read, what kind of volume do you "burn in" the headphones at and for how long? The sound that I'm getting from my T1.2's doesn't seem to match most of the descriptions from the people in this forum. I have three headphones, the T1.2's, HE560's and HD600's. The T1.2's seem to have more bass presence than the other two, but the sound doesn't even come close to the crispness that I get out of the HE560's. I would say the HD600's fall between the two in that regard. The HE560's with the Mjolnir 2 is an awesome combination and the HD600's with either the Mjolnir 2 or the Valhalla 2 sounds better to me than the T1.2's. People talk about HD650's as sounding "veiled" (I haven't listened to them), but I feel like that would be a good description of the sound I'm getting from my T1.2's; there's nothing offensive about it, it's just not as crisp as my other two headphones. The build quality of the T1.2's is impressive though and they're quite comfortable. I don't want to give up on them yet, I don't have that many hours on them. I didn't do a "burn in" for my HE560's and HD600's though, and I don't feel like the sound of either has changed much since I first used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back