New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,771 of 3,929
  Hey fellas,

Just nabbed a pair of these from Overstock (here's a link) for a ridiculous price, but completely worried that they might be first generation or not legitimate.  Anyone have any experience in this realm or any advice?

Here is the link, shortened: http://bit.ly/2cvhHSv

Don't be so worried, some of us here feel the first generation is better.  
biggrin.gif

Seems to say that it's the T1.2, but the picture is that of 1.1.  Never ordered from there, but searched it up online and most things seem to be quite positive.  

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,772 of 3,929
  Don't be so worried, some of us here feel the first generation is better.  
biggrin.gif

Seems to say that it's the T1.2, but the picture is that of 1.1.  Never ordered from there, but searched it up online and most things seem to be quite positive.  

Thanks for that! Alas, it was too good to be true, as Overstock cancelled my order (and others who had placed them).  Now I'm back in the market for my first pair of higher end headphones.  Really wide open on what to get, and back to being overwhelmed with options. :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,773 of 3,929

I got mine for 899 on amazon.ca and apparently it's 799 from ncix.com before. these are Canadian prices. cheaper than USA lol. guess sometimes the bad exchange rate makes a positive impact.

headphones are getting better and better. got the SHP9500 yesterday and while it is maybe 70% sound quality of the t1.2 but it lacks "soul" and realistic sound. but I got it for 75 bucks shipped I can attest that it is the best value for money at that price. sounds better than the audio technical AD700 series by a huge time. will be keeping the t1.2 after this. I was originally thinking the Philips maybe better. some songs are pretty close like electronic music with all sorts of non classical instruments.

again I really like the t1.2 with tube amp. as it is extremely bright. wife still think it's bright even with some super vintage tube on the amp. i still think the sony ma900 is just warm and detailed by default beside bass quality but not quantity. still waiting to go pick it up my second pair after selling first pair.

for t1.2, around 800 CAD bucks is reasonable price. anything more it's not good deal. get electrostatic instead.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,774 of 3,929

I got mine for 899 on amazon.ca and apparently it's 799 from ncix.com before. these are Canadian prices. cheaper than USA lol. guess sometimes the bad exchange rate makes a positive impact.

headphones are getting better and better. got the SHP9500 yesterday and while it is maybe 70% sound quality of the t1.2 but it lacks "soul" and realistic sound. but I got it for 75 bucks shipped I can attest that it is the best value for money at that price. sounds better than the audio technical AD700 series by a huge time. will be keeping the t1.2 after this. I was originally thinking the Philips maybe better. some songs are pretty close like electronic music with all sorts of non classical instruments.

again I really like the t1.2 with tube amp. as it is extremely bright. wife still think it's bright even with some super vintage tube on the amp. i still think the sony ma900 is just warm and detailed by default beside bass quality but not quantity. still waiting to go pick it up my second pair after selling first pair.

for t1.2, around 800 CAD bucks is reasonable price. anything more it's not good deal. get electrostatic instead.

800 CAD for T1.2 as reasonable price. Holy moly, I paid almost 1000 euros for that once the T1.2 released in Europe. Being jealous. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,775 of 3,929
Got a pair of these delivered from Amazon today and I know you need to have headphones settle down somewhat but I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It certainly didn't sound like what I'm reading in numerous posts here. The sound was truly awful, like there was something missing in the music, it was way too bright, very sibilant, lacking body and bass was extremely anaemic. I now have quite the headache and that's only after 30 mins listening.

I don't know if my ears are over sensitive, but I've had the HD800 in the past and really enjoyed it. Maybe the there was something wrong, who knows. The set are going straight back to Amazon tomorrow and now looking at the Focal Elears.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,776 of 3,929
Got a pair of these delivered from Amazon today and I know you need to have headphones settle down somewhat but I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It certainly didn't sound like what I'm reading in numerous posts here. The sound was truly awful, like there was something missing in the music, it was way too bright, very sibilant, lacking body and bass was extremely anaemic. I now have quite the headache and that's only after 30 mins listening.

I don't know if my ears are over sensitive, but I've had the HD800 in the past and really enjoyed it. Maybe the there was something wrong, who knows. The set are going straight back to Amazon tomorrow and now looking at the Focal Elears.

I had a similar experience when I got mine and decided to give them some time. After a couple of weeks I'm finding I really enjoy them. My other headphones are lcd 2s and I was looking for something lighter and more comfortable. I don't know if it's as a result of the headphones breaking in or me just getting used to the change. Good luck with your search.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,777 of 3,929
I had a similar experience when I got mine and decided to give them some time. After a couple of weeks I'm finding I really enjoy them. My other headphones are lcd 2s and I was looking for something lighter and more comfortable. I don't know if it's as a result of the headphones breaking in or me just getting used to the change. Good luck with your search.

I'm glad you're really enjoying yours, maybe my ears are over sensitive to brighter headphones. I would imagine your ears would get used to them if persevered with but they gave me a massive headache after 30 mins, which is quite off putting. After reading reviews, it was between this and the Focal Ears. I bought these out of interest as the Elears weren't in stock, but it's back to them now. You can't please everyone I guess :)

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,778 of 3,929

Sounds like you're amp may not be up to the task of driving a 600 ohm headphone. Hope you have better luck with Elear, it should be easier to drive.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,780 of 3,929

That's what the T1 Gen 2 sounds like underamped, it's a lot better when properly amped, though I personally suggest the much easier to drive and darker and more robust sounding DT 1990 in terms of high-end Beyers for you. The Elears are great from what I've been told by a good friend of mine, really want to listen to them soon.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,783 of 3,929
Brystons are highly recommended. I've hear the pairing at shows and it is sweet.

I use the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it is highly capable too. 

While the T5p.2 is easier to drive, and excellent in its own right, the soundstage/imaging is nowhere near as good as the T1.2s.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,784 of 3,929
Brystons are highly recommended. I've hear the pairing at shows and it is sweet.

I use the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it is highly capable too. 

While the T5p.2 is easier to drive, and excellent in its own right, the soundstage/imaging is nowhere near as good as the T1.2s.
Oh man, wish I could get my hands on an liquid carbon. Missed the last run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back