New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,321 of 3,924
Speaking of tube amps: Has anyone tried the Torpedo III tube amp together with the T1 2nd generation?

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=166
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781651/torpedo-iii-build-thread

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,322 of 3,924
If anyone is looking for 3.5mm adapters to fit the T1.2, I just got these:
http://www.amazon.com/MobilePal-UltraFit-Extender-Connectors-Lifetime/dp/B016HKUSP8

Make sure to get the Ultrafit, not the Flexfit which I also have but are too wide. There's a coupon code (halfway down the page) to get 3 for the price of 2. Nice to have an extra just in case (they seem sturdy so far but can't yet judge long-term durability).

The Ultraslim is narrow enough to fully seat inside the T1.2 but snug enough to be secure (almost dropped my Pono player but cable tension caught it and the Ultrafits didn't budge). I've connected some heavy custom cables to the adapters and everthing plays perfectly; no signal dropout or distortions like what you normally hear when cables aren't seated well.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,323 of 3,924
http://www.amazon.com/MobilePal-UltraFit-Extender-Connectors-Lifetime/dp/B016HKUSP8

Make sure to get the Ultrafit, not the Flexfit which I also have but are too wide. There's a coupon code (halfway down the page) to get 3 for the price of 2. Nice to have an extra just in case (they seem sturdy so far but can't yet judge long-term durability).

The Ultraslim is narrow enough to fully seat inside the T1.2 but snug enough to be secure (almost dropped my Pono player but cable tension caught it and the Ultrafits didn't budge). I've connected some heavy custom cables to the adapters and everthing plays perfectly; no signal dropout or distortions like what you normally hear when cables aren't seated well.

Why do you need another cable?

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,325 of 3,924

You're kidding, right?

Are you saying the stock cable is that poor? I personally don't hear differences in cables of any kind, but I know many others believe there are audible differences. I'm just surprised to think that the stock would be poor (if that is what you meant).

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,326 of 3,924

Good find. I notice these are 4-pole. Does the stock cable work when attached to these adapters? Just wondering as I attached 3.5mm plugs terminated the same as the stock to my toxic cable (plugs were too fat as it turns out so not been able to use it)

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #1,327 of 3,924
  Are you saying the stock cable is that poor? I personally don't hear differences in cables of any kind, but I know many others believe there are audible differences. I'm just surprised to think that the stock would be poor (if that is what you meant).

Nothing wrong with the stock cable; its great. Just prefer a shorter cable when using my DAPs (10ft is too long there) and also have multiple balanced cables (one is a balanced, pure silver Surf Cable). Too bad the T1.2 didn't come with a balanced cable like the HD800S but the much lower price and 3.5mm connectors (didn't know how narrow they would be) to use my existing cables made the decision easier.

I guess the person asking why I need (their words, not mine) another cable obviously has no plans to use their T1.2s balanced (if they even have a pair; profile say they have the T1). Why would Beyerdynamic make the cable detachable and offer an optional balanced cable unless they knew some of us would swap the stock one?

Good find. I notice these are 4-pole. Does the stock cable work when attached to these adapters? Just wondering as I attached 3.5mm plugs terminated the same as the stock to my toxic cable (plugs were too fat as it turns out so not been able to use it)

Yeah, when I saw they were 4-pole I wondered if they'd work. Decided to try them and working perfect so far. Just finished using the T1.2 balanced with my Pono player (used a dual 3-ring cable made for my Z7s). Don't see why the stock cable wouldn't work when every other cable I have does but I'll try it and post if it doesn't work.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,328 of 3,924
Nothing wrong with the stock cable; its great. Just prefer a shorter cable when using my DAPs (10ft is too long there) and also have multiple balanced cables (one is a balanced, pure silver Surf Cable). Too bad the T1.2 didn't come with a balanced cable like the HD800S but the much lower price and 3.5mm connectors (didn't know how narrow they would be) to use my existing cables made the decision easier.

I guess the person asking why I need (their words, not mine) another cable obviously has no plans to use their T1.2s balanced (if they even have a pair; profile say they have the T1). Why would Beyerdynamic make the cable detachable and offer an optional balanced cable unless they knew some of us would swap the stock one?

Yeah, when I saw they were 4-pole I wondered if they'd work. Decided to try them and working perfect so far. Just finished using the T1.2 balanced with my Pono player (used a dual 3-ring cable made for my Z7s). Don't see why the stock cable wouldn't work when every other cable I have does but I'll try it and post if it doesn't work.

Thanks. I bought the beyer balanced cable anyway but still looking to try my toxic cable. Pono balanced with t1.2=great!!

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,329 of 3,924

This is a proper answer. Forums is - for asking questions, answering them, writing reviews, impressions and so on... I asked this, because i thought T1 2nd cable are of high quality, didn't know your reasons, nor i saw your balanced cable... I have original T1, Original was more exciting and price was too good to pass. Originally i was planned to buy HD800S, but T1 price was too good to pass. HD800S can wait:).

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,330 of 3,924
I have bought 3 months a go T1 2generation and the balanced cable and i am disapointed that i have spend  1050 euros for a headphones who sound like a mid range headphones.This is only my opinion and i don't want to hurt any feelings:The T1 sec generation with or without balanced cable sound just a little better than Akg K 702 with gel pads +cardas cable.Both headphones sound like 'twins' with a little + for  the T1.Same soundstage,same little details,same tonality with a little diference:the Akg  are a little warmer ,The T1 sec gen have a little more clarity but just a little.
I have tested both headphones with the Oppo Ha 1  high gain and i was a little surprise that  akg k 702  and the T 1 sec gen demand the same ammount of  power.
The T1 sec generation will go to ebay for selling.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,331 of 3,924
  I have bought 3 months a go T1 2generation and the balanced cable and i am disapointed that i have spend  1050 euros for a headphones who sound like a mid range headphones.This is only my opinion and i don't want to hurt any feelings:The T1 sec generation with or without balanced cable sound just a little better than Akg K 702 with gel pads +cardas cable.Both headphones sound like 'twins' with a little + for  the T1.Same soundstage,same little details,same tonality with a little diference:the Akg  are a little warmer ,The T1 sec gen have a little more clarity but just a little.
This is my conclusion ,i have tested both headphones with the Oppo Ha 1  high gain and i was a little surprise that  akg k 702  and the T 1 sec gen demand the same ammount of  power.
The T1 sec generation will go to ebay for selling and i will keep the akg 702 .

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with the T1s hasn't been more positive. What is really positive is that you've shared your experience here as honest opinions are the most helpful to others looking for information on gear  
beerchug.gif

I get really fed up with Head-Fi threads that turn into a love-in for products, where any slightly contrary opinion is treated with derision. I love my T1s but I never expected to own them. It was only after listening to some other 'holy grail' headphones and finding them nowhere near as much to my liking as other's experience might suggest that I tried the Beyers.

I think with headphones in particular it's important to hear them before buying, or at least be prepared to sell them on if not to taste. I haven't heard the K702s but you have me very interested in them. I have no difficulty believing that I might find them as good as the T1s. The law of diminishing returns is far stronger than a lot of people want to admit. I'm also interested in the T5p for mobile use but as I got the T1s at a very good discount I'm not prepared to pay more than that for the closed version. To tide me over I bought a pair of DT150s for less than £80 new and I'm amazed at how great they sound. When I eventually get the T5p at around eight times the price I know the sonic improvement will be small (although the aesthetic improvement will be immeasurable 
smile.gif
)

I hope you get a good price for your ebay sale.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,332 of 3,924
I have tested both headphones with the Oppo Ha 1  high gain and i was a little surprise that  akg k 702  and the T 1 sec gen demand the same ammount of  power.

Moral of this story is try before you buy.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,334 of 3,924

I own the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition. I was able to compare them to the T1 1st Gen and I found a lot of similarities as well. I ultimitely favored the more detailed treble of the T1 as well as a seemingly tighter bass response. Moving onto the T1 2nd Gen, the treble can be fatiguing at times as I find there is a peak in the upper treble somewhere that I didn't hear in the 1st gen. Also, the bass of the 2nd gen is less articulate and can sound bloated in comparison to the 1st gen. I have to say though that had I not heard the T1.1 I would not have known any different though.
What is surprising to me though is that the more I listened to the T1.2 at low levels the more it agreed with me. So I am sincerely hoping that powering the T1.2 with the Liquid Carbon in a Balanced termination will control the drivers better than what I used when it was in my possession. I will say that the T1's sound better/smoother from a high impedance amp. I found this out while setting my HiFiM8 to 11ohms output.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,335 of 3,924

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with the T1s hasn't been more positive. What is really positive is that you've shared your experience here as honest opinions are the most helpful to others looking for information on gear  
beerchug.gif

I get really fed up with Head-Fi threads that turn into a love-in for products, where any slightly contrary opinion is treated with derision. I love my T1s but I never expected to own them. It was only after listening to some other 'holy grail' headphones and finding them nowhere near as much to my liking as other's experience might suggest that I tried the Beyers.

I think with headphones in particular it's important to hear them before buying, or at least be prepared to sell them on if not to taste. I haven't heard the K702s but you have me very interested in them. I have no difficulty believing that I might find them as good as the T1s. The law of diminishing returns is far stronger than a lot of people want to admit. I'm also interested in the T5p for mobile use but as I got the T1s at a very good discount I'm not prepared to pay more than that for the closed version. To tide me over I bought a pair of DT150s for less than £80 new and I'm amazed at how great they sound. When I eventually get the T5p at around eight times the price I know the sonic improvement will be small (although the aesthetic improvement will be immeasurable 
smile.gif
)

Good points. I have no problem with a well expressed opinion, assuming the headphones got a long enough audition (which I'm sure they did; I've made my share of early decisions only to change my mind after listening more closely).

Got my T1.2s for a great price too but never heard them prior. Wasn't expecting to hear a huge difference from my other mid-fi headphones but they do possess much more detail.

I agree there are often diminished returns but we all hear differently. Some people prefer the T1 over the HD800 and vice versa while others say neither is worth their price points above other headphones. That can be true depending on the headphone and a person's hearing. Like the $150 T50rp mk3's whose sound, imo, is preferable to the PM-3 or Z7 (which cost 3-4x more but have much better materials and build quality; some of the T1(.2)'s higher price is also due to this).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back