New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 9, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,261 of 3,924
  Received my replacement T1 second generation today and boy am I impressed. Listened to Tina Guo "Eternity", Biffy Clyro "The Vertigo of Bliss", Natalie Merchant "Ophelia" and Big Sugar "Heated" all 16 bit flac from my PC running Foobar (wasapi) > Cambridge Audio Dacmagic > Little Dot MK II (tube rolled to Russian 6N6P Power tubes and Mullard CV4010 drivers). I cannot wait to burn these headphones in.

I'm glad for you, Hungry Panda.  

The detachable cord was very important to me, and in a few months, I have stepped on it, by accident, and was so glad I made the switch to 2nd gen, though the deals at Amazon for T1 are, in my view, of great value.  

The T1.2 is my hope to outlive me.  The clarity, soundstage, definition and beauty are things I have never heard before and did not think there would be any improvement, especially since coupled with a very good DAC and the marvelous A20 amp.  

I did, however, give Mojo a shot and it has now replaced everything; desktop and portable.  

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,262 of 3,924
Thanks Peter,
                     I'm pretty sure these will not be the last headphones I ever buy :) They are however very nice and should suffice for home use. When out and about I prefer my Unique Melody Miracles coupled with my iBasso DX80 or Cowon Plenue P1. I am already toying with the idea of a new set of custom iem's, just got to decide which ones.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,263 of 3,924

I'm glad for you, Hungry Panda.  

The detachable cord was very important to me, and in a few months, I have stepped on it, by accident, and was so glad I made the switch to 2nd gen, though the deals at Amazon for T1 are, in my view, of great value.  

The T1.2 is my hope to outlive me.  The clarity, soundstage, definition and beauty are things I have never heard before and did not think there would be any improvement, especially since coupled with a very good DAC and the marvelous A20 amp.  

I did, however, give Mojo a shot and it has now replaced everything; desktop and portable.  

yes the A20 + T1.2 combination is by far the best headphone sound I have heard, and believe me I had a lot of headphones before.
I recently ordered a Audeze LCD XC and gonna pick it up in the store next week, a closed back solution. But whatever happens I will keep the T1.2 as the open back headphone. But when you have kids and the TV sometimes a closed back headphone is essential :wink:. I also ordered a Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp for the Audeze headphones but have to wait over 4 months until production is finished and I also currently have an ifi iCan SE as a review sample from ifi... interesting times ahead
gs1000.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,265 of 3,924

yes the A20 + T1.2 combination is by far the best headphone sound I have heard, and believe me I had a lot of headphones before.
I recently ordered a Audeze LCD XC and gonna pick it up in the store next week, a closed back solution. But whatever happens I will keep the T1.2 as the open back headphone. But when you have kids and the TV sometimes a closed back headphone is essential :wink:. I also ordered a Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp for the Audeze headphones but have to wait over 4 months until production is finished and I also currently have an ifi iCan SE as a review sample from ifi... interesting times ahead
gs1000.gif

Some very nice kit there. I think the T1.2 sound sweet with the Liquid Carbon. I'll be interested to hear your comparison with the A20 when you eventually have both. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,266 of 3,924
  HD800s got thicker bass. More fullfilled midrange. A bit more polite. Also the vocal presentation is closer to listener face. HD800 got more distant sound signature. Also the upper midrange is more smooth with HD800s. But still ir relation to price I fine T1 V2 better. And to my head T1 are far more comfortable.

Synthax. How did you find the earpads on the T1? Do they touch the side of your ears at all or completely encircle them as with the HD800?

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,267 of 3,924

Synthax. How did you find the earpads on the T1? Do they touch the side of your ears at all or completely encircle them as with the HD800?

What I find, after my own experience and talk to my audio friends is that, if T1 fits you perfectly than HD800 will not give you that level of comfort, and in contrary if HD800 fits you great, you will not be happy with T1 pads.

What is sure is the ear holes in HD800 are bigger than in T1. I have rather big head and T1 pads do not touch my ears. 

I do not like HD800 pads at all, i feel them like rounded thin sausage. And these do not touch bottom part of my head/ under ears, the sound leaks...
T1 are exceptionally comfort for me. Like NightHawks. I don't know other that comfortable headphones. Keep in mind the T1 V2 are more comfortable than T1 V1

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #1,268 of 3,924

Many thanks for that. I've tried Beyerdynamic headphones in the past (can't remember which model though) and found that the pads touched the side of my ears which I found irritating after a while. I just wondered if the T1 pads are bigger on the inside than the ones I tried previously. I do find the HD800 very comfortable though, so going on what you say the T1 may not be for me comfort-wise.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #1,269 of 3,924
The T1.2 and the Beyerdynamic A20 amp felt like it was made to be together.  The build quality is impressive and the sound is so very clean. 

Regrettably, I have not heard the Beyerdynamic A2 amp, as it is out of my price range, but I imagine that it may be even more beautiful.  

This gives you a reference point for my opinion, and you can imagine how I felt about the Mojo.  

The only point I felt uncertainty was Mojo to A20 to T1...

I could not discern if this was an improvement over Mojo alone.  

The reviews of T1 and A2 amp are special.  

I have tested a number of Beyerdynamic products and everything made in Germany was special.  I was disappointed in the portable earphones, though.  I'd love to see them put out a mid priced high quality set. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,271 of 3,924
  Hello everybody,

I am Klaus, 1 of 4 product managers for headphones at beyerdynamic and the responsible one for the T 1.
Happy to see, that you like what we did. Shipping from our Heilbronn (Germany) factory has started yesterday.

Let me give you a little background info:
Yes, we changed the sound a bit, making it slightly more even in the treble and giving it some extra dBs in the low-mids and bass - broadrange, not just deep end. The T 1 is still far from being a bass-heavy, let alone muddy headphone. Remember: it's a beyer, so you treble and transparence -geeks will still be VERY happy with it. We just found, that tuning it to this direction, we can make it sound a bit more pleasing to our audiophile target group in general. (In other words: A string quartet will still sound beautiful, but some Quincy Jones basses will finally shine...)

The former T 1 is discontinued, and only the 2. generation will continue.
Changing drivers of the 1. Generation will not be enough to make it sound like the current 2. Generation. We won't offer modifications. An upgrade program is not planned.
Of course, we will show it at all trade shows, beginnning with IFA in Berlin beginning of September.
Happy to read, by the way, that you like the case. It was a pain in the neck getting it right...

Best,
Klaus

PS: In need to change that avatar...

Would you recommend T1 2nd gen or T5P 2nd gen for EDM and contemporary music? Closed or open back doesn't matter. Source/amp is Chord Mojo.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #1,272 of 3,924
Merhaba Obsidyen,
personally I would go for the T 5 p (2. Generation). It has a bit more promiment bass and it more fun for elctronica. The T 1 (2. Generation)'s slightly better spacial transmission in my opinion won't be a such big plus for electronic music, since apart from panned mono signals in the stereo image, normally there isn't much going on and you will miss the more engaging sound of the T 5 p. (There may be exceptions, of course.)
The user Plakat is a great guy to speak with, if you need somebody with a deeper knowledege about T 5 p (2. Generation) and electronic music.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,273 of 3,924
  Merhaba Obsidyen,
personally I would go for the T 5 p (2. Generation). It has a bit more promiment bass and it more fun for elctronica. The T 1 (2. Generation)'s slightly better spacial transmission in my opinion won't be a such big plus for electronic music, since apart from panned mono signals in the stereo image, normally there isn't much going on and you will miss the more engaging sound of the T 5 p. (There may be exceptions, of course.)
The user Plakat is a great guy to speak with, if you need somebody with a deeper knowledege about T 5 p (2. Generation) and electronic music.

Thanks so much! I also considered DT1770 but T5P 2nd gen looks so cool. I like things that look pretty.

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,274 of 3,924
Now that you're here hanselmann, I have a question for you... 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought an IBasso - DX80 DAP and I'm hoping that it will work well with the T1 - 2 generation, even though they are 600 ohm. I still have not purchased the T1's, but they are at the very top of my list and I expect to buy a pair within the next few weeks.

It would be nice to get your input on the DX80's ability to drive them? Here you have the specs, as you can see the DX80 has quite a good amp section for a DAP and can deliver good voltage swing / power.

http://ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=304#page8

Thank you so much for your input hanselmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back