New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,021 of 3,924
No, it really only happens when you're crazy enough to put a vacuum up against the side of your headphones. :p Or you're trying to get some dust, hair, or dander off the driver or ear foam and you blow on it a bit too hard. I learned the hard way with my DT990, lol. From then on, I've been taking my headphones apart to clean individual parts!

Yea, but you can usually fix it. More air. :)))

Ask me how I know.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,022 of 3,924

T1s on the big stack!
iBASSO DX90 coax' to:
iFi iDSD Micro As DAC to:
iTube Micro as tube stage to:
iCAN Micro Amplifier

Still burning-in the iTube, but liking what I'm hearing so far!

Ken N.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,023 of 3,924
I'm trying to change the way I'm used to listening to music, which used to be pretty loud. These headphones sound great at lower volumes: very clean, precise, great separation, airy and deep. It's just that I can't put the volume up loud because of the upper mids and highs. I read that this is a neutral headphone. It does sound like that, it doesn't add much. But I can't put up the volume much because of the highs, and that is a flaw of the headphone in my eyes. I read that they are easy to listen to headphones, and are great at almost every genre. It's true they are easy to listen to, but only at lower volumes. But aren't all headphones easy to listen to at lower volumes? I also don't really agree that they sound good with most genres. The highs can be spiky.  

I don't want to be too negative, I do like them. It's just that I almost only read positive things, and I feel the need to have some comments about the negative aspects of the headphone too. They do have some annoying flaws in my experience.  

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,024 of 3,924
I'm trying to change the way I'm used to listening to music, which used to be pretty loud. These headphones sound great at lower volumes: very clean, precise, great separation, airy and deep. It's just that I can't put the volume up loud because of the upper mids and highs. I read that this is a neutral headphone. It does sound like that, it doesn't add much. But I can't put up the volume much because of the highs, and that is a flaw of the headphone in my eyes. I read that they are easy to listen to headphones, and are great at almost every genre. It's true they are easy to listen to, but only at lower volumes. But aren't all headphones easy to listen to at lower volumes? I also don't really agree that they sound good with most genres. The highs can be spiky.  

I don't want to be too negative, I do like them. It's just that I almost only read positive things, and I feel the need to have some comments about the negative aspects of the headphone too. They do have some annoying flaws in my experience.  
I suspect you are becoming treble/high frequency hypersensitive. I only suggest this because I am myself from years of exposure to excessive spl and ultrasonic frequencies. Have your hearing checked by an audiologist or ENT physician. Just a suggestion.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,025 of 3,924
I had my hearing checked (quick 0.5-4khz test), and it was excellent. With 0 being perfect hearing, I scored an average of +5db (5db loss). That's almost a perfect hearing. On 2khz with my right ear I can even hear 5db louder then perfect. (-5db) On my left ear it was +10, so that's a 15db difference, maybe hence why I experienced some imbalance more quickly.
But if anything, I'm experiencing the unnatural highs because my hearing is better I think. I'm 22 years old, and don't go to places with loud music. Strange nobody else is experiencing this with the headphones here :wink: Maybe mostly older people are into this hobby, and are less sensitive to higher frequencies, and experience the boost as compensation for their hearing loss?

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,026 of 3,924
I had my hearing checked (quick 0.5-4khz test), and it was excellent. With 0 being perfect hearing, I scored an average of +5db (5db loss). That's almost a perfect hearing. On 2khz with my right ear I can even hear 5db louder then perfect. (-5db) On my left ear it was +10, so that's a 15db difference, maybe hence why I experienced some imbalance more quickly.
But if anything, I'm experiencing the unnatural highs because my hearing is better I think. I'm 22 years old, and don't go to places with loud music. Strange nobody else is experiencing this with the headphones here :wink: Maybe mostly older people are into this hobby, and are less sensitive to higher frequencies, and experience the boost as compensation for their hearing loss?
Wow. Thats fantastic. Your theory could be right. Is there any way you can eq those frequencies through your music server software? Other than that I cannot think of anything else. Good luck

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,029 of 3,924

What electronics are you using?

Your later point of young ears vs. older ears is a good one.

The T1 is a revealing headphone, albeit a musical rather than analytical one but it can only reproduce what it is fed.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,030 of 3,924

First CONGRATS! I wish I had that kind of hearing. Mine is pretty good for people around their 50's, so please don't think that I am complaining at all. I LOVE the way I hear music. And I'm not going to try and sway your opinion. It's yours even if my experience has been different. I merely suggest trying your T1 with an amp with either more power, or a larger voltage swing. My reasoning is; when I listen to my T1 through my FIIO e17, (Just wanted to see if it would work!) I hear a much harsher quality than with any amp I normally use. Since your hearing is so much better, I imagine you are much more sensitive to harshness of that nature. If the e17 harshness was rated a 10, then I would guess my iDSD Micro would be a 5.5, iCAN a 4, and ASGARD2 a 3.5 and ASGARD2 with iTube a 3.

See if you can plug them up to a real powerhouse amp and check if you still hear it. Mine mellow as my amps improve, and I'm not even using Gustards or Violectrics, or Bursons which all seem to get a lot of love and are "reasonably priced" at their tiers as I've read. But I'm very happy with mine where I'm at, and can only imagine what they will sound like as I audition them with true high-end setups throughout the year. :smile:

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,031 of 3,924
First CONGRATS! I wish I had that kind of hearing. Mine is pretty good for people around their 50's, so please don't think that I am complaining at all. I LOVE the way I hear music. And I'm not going to try and sway your opinion. It's yours even if my experience has been different. I merely suggest trying your T1 with an amp with either more power, or a larger voltage swing. My reasoning is; when I listen to my T1 through my FIIO e17, (Just wanted to see if it would work!) I hear a much harsher quality than with any amp I normally use. Since your hearing is so much better, I imagine you are much more sensitive to harshness of that nature. If the e17 harshness was rated a 10, then I would guess my iDSD Micro would be a 5.5, iCAN a 4, and ASGARD2 a 3.5 and ASGARD2 with iTube a 3.

See if you can plug them up to a real powerhouse amp and check if you still hear it. Mine mellow as my amps improve, and I'm not even using Gustards or Violectrics, or Bursons which all seem to get a lot of love and are "reasonably priced" at their tiers as I've read. But I'm very happy with mine where I'm at, and can only imagine what they will sound like as I audition them with true high-end setups throughout the year. :smile:
Excellent.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,032 of 3,924
I have it connected to a Marantz hd-dac 1, which has quite some power. It has a 600ohms setting, and I never turn the volume up more then 35%. I use Spotify premium, but have the same issues with lossless audio. On my ps4 with optical is does sound a better, although I can't make a good comparison since it's only movies and games. Maybe a tube amp in the future is my solution. 
Anyway, this is just my experience and I hope you guys keep enjoying it! 
Maybe you can give me a song that sounds perfect to you, and I'll see how it sounds to me?

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,033 of 3,924
  I have it connected to a Marantz hd-dac 1, which has quite some power. It has a 600ohms setting, and I never turn the volume up more then 35%. I use Spotify premium, but have the same issues with lossless audio. On my ps4 with optical is does sound a better, although I can't make a good comparison since it's only movies and games. Maybe a tube amp in the future is my solution. 
Anyway, this is just my experience and I hope you guys keep enjoying it! 
Maybe you can give me a song that sounds perfect to you, and I'll see how it sounds to me?

Give me a genre that appeals to you.  I've got pretty eclectic tastes from JPOP/KPOP to OPERA, to VIVALDI, to KITARO, to The Eagles, to The Buggles, to...

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,034 of 3,924
What song it is doesn't really matter right? I want to see if a song you listen to sounds off to me. A song you know well. Then I can point out what I'm hearing.
I guess I like the album 'The Switch' from Emily King'. But these songs sound good on the T1.2's. 

Edit:
Ok, just a random number from spotify top 50 in the world. Stitches, Shawn Mendes: harsh sounding. Hello, Adele: sharp voice that has artifacts and sometimes goes to the right or left. Light it up, Major Lasor: awfull :) also artifacts on the highs on the left side. 
I can be more specific about what I'm hearing, but it's mainly the sibilance and harshness. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,035 of 3,924
  What song it is doesn't really matter right? I want to see if a song you listen to sounds off to me. A song you know well. 
I guess I like the album 'The Switch' from Emily King'. But these songs sound good on the T1.2's. 

Fair enough:

"What God Wants" Part 1 (or 2) off "Amused To Death" by Roger Waters (from Pink Floyd)  There is another artist who goes by "Roger Waters" as well.

"Why Me" off same-titled "Planet P Project" by Planet P Project

"So Far Away" (Original, NOT the remaster) by Dire Straits

"Take The Power Back" by Rage Against The Machine

"Thiller" by Michael Jackson  (If the opening synth-horn blares don't get you, NOTHING will!)

"Reach Out" by The Four Tops

"Dream On" by Aerosmith

"Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Yes, I'm serious!)

"Touch And Go"  by ELP

"Come Together" by The Beatles

Most ANYTHING by Hans Zimmer ("Drink-Up, Me Hearties", "Main Theme From Rainman/Leaving Walbrook", Crimson Tide-"Roll tide" The Da Vinci Code - "Chevaliers De Sangreal"

EDIT:  Oh, can't forget "Modern Love" by David Bowie, or "Under Pressure" D.B. with Queen!  And nothing against Elton John, but Roger Daltry's version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" out does the original BY FAR in my book.  (Hard to find it outside of "The Lost Boys" Orignal Soundtrack.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back