New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #451 of 3,929
Can anyone compare T1.2 to the DT1770 for me?

They definitely come out of the same philosophical approach. More bass and less treble (compared to older beyers), and beyer "house sound" through the mids. Overall, the sound is similar. Obviously, the T1 has more resolution and sound stage. The 1770 is slightly more colored sounding, mostly due to being a closed back. The T1 mk2 is more transparent in that regard. I wouldn't call either one ultra transparent, but the transparency is quite decent. The T1 improves pretty dramatically in this regard with the right amp pairing... getting very close to top-flight status, even if not completely there (for the price, it's pretty tough to beat though). To my ears, the Cavalli Liquid Crimson really did the best job of getting the T1 there, and this is a pairing I would whole-heartedly recommend, if you have the means to make it possible (I wish I did). 

It's hard to compare the two without having them in hand anymore, but I would say the DT1770 is on a very short list of closed-back headphones that I like, along with the Mr. Speakers Ether-C, Fostex TH-900, Oppo PM-3 and maybe the Final Audio Design Sonorous VI. Two of those are more than double the DT1770's price, FWIW. The FAD is roughly the same price and I prefer the beyer, I think. The Oppo costs less, but is an entirely different flavor.... just so you know where I'm coming from here.

I'd have no problem recommending either of the new beyers.

TL;DR version:
similar sound
T1: More soundstage, more resolution, open back, higher cost.
1770: Less soundstage & resolution compared to T1, closed back, lower cost.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #452 of 3,929

I agree with the bottom line under one condition: German beer.
popcorn.gif

Like a pint of my favourite Hacker Pschorr hefe weisse. 
beerchug.gif

I've had the review sample of T1v2s now for about a week and I am thoroughly impressed with the improvements from Beyerdynamics. I did have some issues with the treble with my original pair (bought in early 2010...first pair sold in Canada). I did enjoy them very much though for a number of years, but the V2s have refined them to a point where they just sound really, really good and it is going to be hard to send them back! 

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #455 of 3,929
For me I always prefer open vs close , so T1 v2 for me .
 it's smoother and no harsh treble ,better in imaging but th 900 sound clearer than T 1 .bass hit harder on th900 .
But I still prefer the headstage and the natural sound of T1 .

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #459 of 3,929
Well you buy the headphones for the sound and not looks I hope :wink:

I tried a number of headphones and found there is little to no difference between them, perhaps my ears aren't that good. This is going to be my first expensive headphones and if there is still no difference, I'll be left with good bass and beautiful headphones TH900.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #460 of 3,929
I tried a number of headphones and found there is little to no difference between them, perhaps my ears aren't that good. This is going to be my first expensive headphones and if there is still no difference, I'll be left with good bass and beautiful headphones TH900.

If you're having a hard time telling the differences between headphones I don't think your hearing is the cause but rather your brain. If you're new to this hobby, which I asume you are, then it takes time to develop the ability to do this. Just like the ability to taste different falvours in food, which is one of the reasons why it takes time to become a good chef. In any case I would not buy such expensive headphones if I were in your position but rather start with something mid-fi instead. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #461 of 3,929

If you're having a hard time telling the differences between headphones I don't think your hearing is the cause but rather your brain. If you're new to this hobby, which I asume you are, then it takes time to develop the ability to do this. Just like the ability to taste different falvours in food, which is one of the reasons why it takes time to become a good chef. In any case I would not buy such expensive headphones if I were in your position but rather start with something mid-fi instead. 

Yep same thing as buying instruments, but the food analogy is good. But at the end it´s quite subjective, and the differences aren´t that big. I mean comparing to the prices they offer for the top tier ones.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #462 of 3,929
  Yep same thing as buying instruments, but the food analogy is good. But at the end it´s quite subjective, and the differences aren´t that big. I mean comparing to the prices they offer for the top tier ones.

Yeah that is why I think he should buy a really nice pair of mid-fi headphones. HD650 is a good example for this. Scales well and many actually prefer it to more expensive headphones.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #463 of 3,929

Yeah that is why I think he should buy a really nice pair of mid-fi headphones. HD650 is a good example for this. Scales well and many actually prefer it to more expensive headphones.

How about going with something IMO less appreciated, Ultrasone Pro 2900. Hold the phone before you say Ultrasone sounds terrible. Open back pro series are different. Here is a small review: http://www.headphoneer.com/ultrasone-pro-2900-review/

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #464 of 3,929

Tried both the T1 2nd gen and the Dt1770 at my dealer recently and I ended up coming home with both.  Best of both worlds, they mate really well with the IDSD Micro and the Chord Hugo.    The DT1770 is the tamest Beyer I've tried yet in the highs, but still very detailed, not quite the extension of the T1, but close.  Slight V shaped curve sound signature to the DT1770 and the bass is a bit tighter on the T1.  The 1770's have a decent boost in the mid bass, making for an impactful and fun sound...

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #465 of 3,929

Tried both the T1 2nd gen and the Dt1770 at my dealer recently and I ended up coming home with both.  Best of both worlds, they mate really well with the IDSD Micro and the Chord Hugo.    The DT1770 is the tamest Beyer I've tried yet in the highs, but still very detailed, not quite the extension of the T1, but close.  Slight V shaped curve sound signature to the DT1770 and the bass is a bit tighter on the T1.  The 1770's have a decent boost in the mid bass, making for an impactful and fun sound...

Beyer make some really sexy looking cans. Understated, but still beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back