New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #3,496 of 3,924
Are the T1's with flaking headband problem gen2? I had gen1 that had seen alot of use...serial was near 04000 so it propably was 10 years old. Padding was still perfect because gen1 was made with genuine leather. Using pleather on expensive headphones is just bs.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #3,497 of 3,924
Are the T1's with flaking headband problem gen2? I had gen1 that had seen alot of use...serial was near 04000 so it propably was 10 years old. Padding was still perfect because gen1 was made with genuine leather. Using pleather on expensive headphones is just bs.

Yes it’s gen 2, haven’t experienced the flaking issue though. The T1 headband in general is a weak point it seems. But the gen 1 at least had leather so it wouldn’t flake or anything. Gen 3 changed the clamp (I find it clamps more like the Hd 6xx or DT 1990, will see if it loosens up much with use) and padding some (less padding near the plastic yoke clasps, good thing imho, I had some problems with this both comfort until it broke in and the adhesive coming loose due to how it fit my head), only time will tell if it holds up better, but to me the headband on the gen 3 is an improvement over the gen 2, wish they went pure alcantara (more like the Amiron Home headband, which is my favorite Beyer headband) or alcantara with genuine leather though.

Serial number is listed a bit different on the gen 3, seems they reset it and added a 0. It starts with 1 on mine. Mine has a serial number around 10000x which indicates is likely the one of the first made for the consumer market or for the US/North American market if they change the first number around based on region. I’ve seen some start with 01, the one pictured on the retail box says 010001, but that may be review units/pre-production units. On my gen 2 it’s serial in the 43xxx range, wonder what the T1.2’s serial number stops at as I’m assuming it’s discontinued now.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #3,498 of 3,924
T1.2 is the biggest disappointment I have ever experienced with headphones. I was so hyped about these headphones, but man was I disappointed! my other headphones are HD800S, TH900 MKII and HD700. The T1.2 sounded super muffled compared to my other headphones! I have both Eddie Current ZDS, Woo WA2 and Auralic Taurus MKII, and the T1.2 sounded terrible out of my 3 amps. The best sound was from the Auralic Taurus because it sounded a little brighter. Maybe I got a bad pair of headphones, or should have burned them in longer, but I ultimately returned them back to amazon. Build Quality was super though, beautiful looking headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,499 of 3,924
T1.2 is the biggest disappointment I have ever experienced with headphones. I was so hyped about these headphones, but man was I disappointed! my other headphones are HD800S, TH900 MKII and HD700. The T1.2 sounded super muffled compared to my other headphones! I have both Eddie Current ZDS, Woo WA2 and Auralic Taurus MKII, and the T1.2 sounded terrible out of my 3 amps. The best sound was from the Auralic Taurus because it sounded a little brighter. Maybe I got a bad pair of headphones, or should have burned them in longer, but I ultimately returned them back to amazon. Build Quality was super though, beautiful looking headphones.
Something isn't right there. The T1.2 hasn't ever been criticized for being muffled. If anything, it's the brightest of my 3 headphones.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #3,500 of 3,924
Something isn't right there. The T1.2 hasn't ever been criticized for being muffled. If anything, it's the brightest of my 3 headphones.
yeah, it was weird. vocals were very grainy and scratchy, sounded too dark on my tube amps...in comparison, my HD800S, HD700 and TH900 sound HEAVENLY on my Zana Deux. The only amp where it sounded decent was on my auralic taurus MKII. Anyways, I returned it to amazon and bought a ZMF Eikon instead.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #3,501 of 3,924
yeah, it was weird. vocals were very grainy and scratchy, sounded too dark on my tube amps...in comparison, my HD800S, HD700 and TH900 sound HEAVENLY on my Zana Deux. The only amp where it sounded decent was on my auralic taurus MKII. Anyways, I returned it to amazon and bought a ZMF Eikon instead.

Beyers are different in presentation than most other headphones and often like very different systems than many other headphones, there is a chance it simply didn’t like something in your systems. I’ve heard the scratchy vocals on them before. We’re you using the same dac/source on all three amps? They can be finicky headphones. I always found the T1 quite sensitive to the system chain and not the easiest headphone to make happy the gen 3 is even more sensitive to it despite being 32 Ohm.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #3,502 of 3,924
Beyers are different in presentation than most other headphones and often like very different systems than many other headphones, there is a chance it simply didn’t like something in your systems. We’re you using the same dac/source on all three amps? They can be finicky headphones. I always found the T1 quite sensitive to the system chain and not the easiest headphone to make happy the gen 3 is even more sensitive to it despite being 32 Ohm.

ADI2 Dac is my source.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #3,503 of 3,924
ADI2 Dac is my source.

Never had the chance to hear the dac but heard a lot good about it. It could also simply be they just didn’t agree with your ears as they have an unique tuning or they just needed acclimation or burn-in. They took a long time to fully burn-in honestly, mine felt a bit strained sounding for a while.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #3,505 of 3,924
They certainly don't sound grainy or scratchy (which, if anything, is the opposite of dull) on the Phonitor or the Burson.

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #3,506 of 3,924

This is really sad to hear. I seldom listen to my headphones system these days, but when I do my jaw literally drops when I plug the T1.2s into my headphone amp. I, too, was unimpressed when I bought these headphones for the first few weeks. However, with a fairly good audio chain configured in the best possible way, and most importantly for me, Dekoni Elite Velour earpads, I cannot imagine the sound being any better.

Did you evaluate your T1.2s with the stock pads?

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #3,507 of 3,924
This is really sad to hear. I seldom listen to my headphones system these days, but when I do my jaw literally drops when I plug the T1.2s into my headphone amp. I, too, was unimpressed when I bought these headphones for the first few weeks. However, with a fairly good audio chain configured in the best possible way, and most importantly for me, Dekoni Elite Velour earpads, I cannot imagine the sound being any better.

Did you evaluate your T1.2s with the stock pads?
I returned them and bought the zmf eikon, ever since then, I haven't touched my th900 and hd800s. My t1.2 was stock, brand new from Amazon... I must have gotten a defective pair, if that even exists, they sounded like crap unfortunately.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #3,508 of 3,924
Given their impedance, would it be worth it to get a balanced cable for them? I have a Monoprice THX 887 solid-state and a Darkvoice tube amp (darkvoice not balanced, but a worthy option single-ended).

The 887 is my main amp, which is why I ask.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #3,509 of 3,924
Given their impedance, would it be worth it to get a balanced cable for them? I have a Monoprice THX 887 solid-state and a Darkvoice tube amp (darkvoice not balanced, but a worthy option single-ended).

I have eddie current zana deux super, auralic taurus mkii and woo wa2 with high end tubes... T1.2 sounded bad on all of them, best sound was from taurus mkii, the tune amps sounded too dark, and vocals was grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back