New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Jun 4, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #781 of 902
I'm having a hard time to find a closed pair to play guitar. While I like the Sennheiser HD599, drop HD6xx and DT880/250ohm, somethings the acoustic string/picking noise from my guitar really bothers me and I need a closed set. I've tried ath-M40x, AKG 371, Rode NTH-1 and now I have a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT8 and Beyerdynamic DT770/80. None of the seems to be the perfect ones, maybe my favourite ones are the DT770, but I find them a bit too bright and mid scooped. Are the DT 700 pro X a good alternative?

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #782 of 902
I'm having a hard time to find a closed pair to play guitar. While I like the Sennheiser HD599, drop HD6xx and DT880/250ohm, somethings the acoustic string/picking noise from my guitar really bothers me and I need a closed set. I've tried ath-M40x, AKG 371, Rode NTH-1 and now I have a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT8 and Beyerdynamic DT770/80. None of the seems to be the perfect ones, maybe my favourite ones are the DT770, but I find them a bit too bright and mid scooped. Are the DT 700 pro X a good alternative?
You will not regret going for the DT 700 Pro X. 👍🏻

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #783 of 902
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #785 of 902
What's more, Beyer's doing a B-stock sale right now where you can snag a 700 Pro X for $185
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/sale.html
Thanks for the heads-up! Nabbed a set of DT-700 Pro X at that price. They arrived in flawless condition though the box had been opened previously (I assume most B Stock are customer returns). No cosmetic or functional issues, no evidence of prior ownership, sounding great to me so far :)

Edit: Yeah, the DT 900 Pro X and DT 700 Pro X are worthy additions to Beyer's respectable lineup if you ask me. They share positive characteristics and a similar overall voicing. DT 900 Pro X is flatter in most of its range though a bit more peaky in some treble frequencies but the overall frequency curve of the DT 700 Pro X seems to emphasize certain treble sibilances more (maybe reflections? maybe just different construction anatomy leading to slightly different dip around 4k and different peaks higher up...), and the DT 700 Pro X also has a decent sensation of bass "thump" although it seems overall significantly less bass heavy and less scooped than my old DT-770 Pro. And, the DT 900 Pro X are actually no slouches at low frequencies, possibly owing to their truly semi-open nature there is more thump to them than many open headphones that I've used with such overall flatter frequency responses.

Just cool cans, digging 'em!

Edit 2: Very good response to modest EQ moves too. Raise the sub bass a couple dB or so, tweak the treble a bit in places. Good hip hop phones as long as you aren't trying to recreate a massive bass overload experience - if you're just looking for good impact and a nice frequency balance overall, though, awesome. Seem like solid gaming cans for situations where you want isolation in or out (or both), too.

Soundstage is definitely there though less exceptional than some other Beyer cans IMO. I personally feel the DT 900 Pro X and DT 700 Pro X both have good positional audio, though I give the nod to the DT-880/600 and DT-990/600 as having subjectively better soundstages for me. More clamp and less openness may contribute to the narrower perceived acoustic space, but it's still perfectly adequate for mixing and enjoyable listening, especially when considered in conjunction with the headphones' strengths. I can't compare the DT-770 Pro I have because I'm using non-standard pads for those that changed quite a bit about them when I put them on, including the perceived sound stage (drivers farther from the ear than they were, different treble reflections and bass absorption all contributed to a fairly distinctive change).

Overall while I wouldn't say the DT 700 Pro X can match the soundstage of my other favorite closed can, the ATH-A990Z, that's a pretty high bar, and there are other technicals where the DT 700 Pro X seems clearly superior to be frank. But, Audio Technicas were always more about their to-me favorable house sound and "the sum being more than its parts;" I'll still be using them now that the DT 700 Pro X have landed, because I love 'em! But the DT 700 Pro X are much more suitable for audio tracking and mixing and provide a more representative overall presentation with less coloration.

What an enjoyable evening listening to music with these. Thanks again for the heads up on that sale.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #787 of 902
I've received them yesterday. I think they are exactly what I was looking for. More balanced than the 770s, less bright. Really great to play guitar through them.
Glad you are enjoying them, Beyer really hit a home run with these new 700/900 Pro X models!

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #788 of 902
I think these might be becoming my favorite closed back headphones. Previously I think I'd have considered the A990Z my favorites.

First and foremost I have to say, the wearing comfort in warm summer months exceeds the comparatively toasty A990Z. Despite the DT 700 Pro X's greater clamping force, they sit super comfortably when on and the ear pads don't heat up nearly as much. The DT 700 Pro X foam is much more breathable than the pleather pads of the A990Z. A990Z's wearing comfort in cooler temperatures is nice and I don't mind their unusual "3D wings" head relative positioning apparatus, but there's something to be said for the effectiveness and simplicity of a normal, adequately padded headband that sits well and isn't uncomfortable to begin with, as Beyer uses. I've owned Audio Technica "3D Wings" headphones in the past and they do get looser over time as the tensioning mechanisms wear. But my thoughts on the sound might be more interesting to readers than any further extended ruminations on comfort.

Of course they have different frequency balance (A990Z is darker overall and a bit V-Shaped by sound, DT 700 Pro X brighter overall but flatter mids) and you might like this or that one more "at first blush," but I think with more extended comparison the DT 700 Pro X exceed the A990Z on technical merits regardless of frequency emphasis. Low end balance is superior on the DT 700 Pro X, with the A990Z being a bit looser, a bit boomier. The boomy character can be flattering to certain material, but obscuring to others, and the A990Z's emphasis is centered closer to 100-110hz, with lower frequencies dropping off gradually to 50hz where the signal is roughly in line with the average frequency response level, and lowering below that (but still there and audible as sub-bass). By way of comparison the DT 700 Pro X are just a lot flatter in the low frequencies, while still having ample impact and extension. Balanced and good sounding on everything I've tried them with. While the A990Z's midrange is more recessed, the mids are not actually low quality or anything. Well, there's a reason I've liked Audio Technica's closed headphones in that series for like two decades now, you know, their house sound is really cool in my opinion, just very different from the Beyer house sound. But I have to give it to the DT 700 Pro X for having the superior frequency balance for most material and a more "natural" sound much of the time, in this comparison.

Let's let the Audio Technica's have a break, here - the A990Z win when it comes to soundstage and it isn't hard to tell. How could they not with their more distant, angled presentation versus the DT 700 Pro X's closer-to-the-ear (more clamp), more intimate "flat coupling" design? Positional audio is still accurate and fine with the DT 700 Pro X, not quite as luxurious as the wide soundstage of their less clamping DT-880/DT-990 Premium Edition models (and neither is the DT 900 Pro X - hey, those older cans have some real strengths!). But the A990Z is wider and more speaker-like; more cinematic, when called for, which makes them still a favorite for watching film and playing games. But, the DT 700 Pro X are fine gaming cans too, and have better passive isolation including blocking frequencies a bit lower than the A990Z, so there might be times when those are the deciding factors rather than which has the greater soundstage and all that. Oops, this was supposed to be a win for the A990Z, I'm gilding the lily a bit :D

Power requirements are pretty similar for them, with neither having particularly demanding amplification needs. Big points go to the DT 700 Pro X for its removable cable versus the A990Z's nonremovable one. It is what it is there. And while I haven't exactly put them under heavy stress testing for durability, the DT 700 Pro X certainly gives the impression of being less fragile; A990Z doesn't seem like "sneeze and you'll break it," but there are more delicate mechanisms at work and as mentioned earlier I do expect them to exhibit some effects and signs of wear moreso than the DT 700 Pro X, in time.

Hope everyone else is digging their DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X as much as I am!

Jul 20, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #790 of 902
you need to remove the foam outside the centre. doing this lets the radiated/reflected sound move back into the cups and a lot faster and the result is a lot less muddyness/in cup sound and they sound more like listening to speakers. i'm still experimenting with felt disc replacement materials but so far cotton makup removal pads cut into discs works fairly well. they are a nightmare to get in under the foam though but if you use a butter knife to slide them in it helps. also top tip, i use a butter knife to remove the securing rings, slide it under the ring edge on the inside and twist using the centre of the driver as a wedge on the dull edge of the knife.

i dont like the felt discs and find it removes the sparkle. no internal material and just foam is too bright and sibilant. next is coffee filter and face mask.
Thanks for all of this info bibbs! I've been auditioning both the dt 900 pro & dt 1900 and it's been really helpful trying all these adjustments as I'm having a tough time deciding between the two/making either one work for me.

Have you tried the foam discs from the 1990 in the 900? Compared to the stock felt discs they have a different character (more similar to the dt 1990 shape) which to me balances it out a bit with more treble and less high mids than the felt discs. I also tried the dt 900 pads on my 1990 and WOW that really brought it to life with a much fuller more even sound and incredible bass. Am thinking of going that route if I can't get the sound signature right on my 900…

Was wondering if you could tell me in a little more detail about using the 700 pads on the 900? I just bought them (haven't arrived yet) in hopes that it would kick up mostly the sub bass and maybe a little mid bass but am worried that it's gonna bloat the lower mids/upper bass too much.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #792 of 902
How is the sound leakage of DT 700? Do the velour earpads leak a lot of sound?
Depends on your listening level obviously, but in general I think they don't leak much -- at least I never had any complaints at home :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back