New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Apr 8, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #766 of 902
I'm really enjoying the DT-900 Pro X I picked up recently. I got too curious after really enjoying a pair of DT-880 and DT-990 both in the 600ohm "Edition" variety, reminded me just how much I like Beyer's thinking when it comes to headphones. Glad I decided to check these out, many strengths in terms of analytical presentation but still fun to listen to music with 'em. Good positional audio useful for gaming, though not as wide of a soundstage as the older ones in my opinion (maybe because of the enclosure being more of a real hybrid between open and closed, maybe the clamping force increase holding the drivers closer, could be I'm failing to account for what makes them differ there between those thoughts too). I still feel that the older Beyers perform very admirably today and represent great value (and sound very nice - I think the 600ohm have an edge over the fidelity of the 250ohm, having owned both now), but the DT-900 Pro X at its current price is also a great value and does, to my ears, offer some improvements over the older models. I like their thinking with the voice coil and driver design of the Stellar.45.

I said in another thread they seem like an evolution of the DT-880 to me more than the DT-990, with its pretty different sound signature. I wonder why they felt the 900 was more appropriate than a theoretical DT-800 Pro X moniker. Idle curiosity, it doesn't matter too much, the cans are nice!!

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #768 of 902
I own the 1770 Pro the 770 pro 250ohm the 990 edition 250ohm the T5 3rd gen. now are just collections soon you gonna find why..

.....and now I own the 700 Pro X, all I can say finally I have a Beyer headphone that I can blast with max volume and wont hear distortions...
all of my other beyers have this issue but the 700 Pro X sound awesome! bass just like it should play a bassy song and you gonna hear real bass! the treble is just right! not fatiguing too me at least! the sound signature is something different from all the beyers I own, and I prefere it the most! works for all the genres of music I liaten, metal, punkrock, deathmetal, hardcore, numetal, synthwave and etc..
all I wanna say I totally love this headphone!!!!!!!

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #769 of 902
Never had the DT770, but I IMO DT1990 is the best looking one out of the bunch :k701smile:
I remember the day I first got the 1770 Pro when I unpack it I said wow!!!! what I real beauty!!! when I started to test it made my metal and rock tracks fly!!! the saddest thing tho, was the loud volume distortion, cause I can't enjoy and hear music in low volume I need the MAX!

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #770 of 902
what you are hearing compared to other Beyer headphones is midrange. so maybe you have a preference for V shaped sound signature.

for me the pads are fantastic but i dont have huge ears. also with the DT700/900 you must bend the head band to suit your head size as the clamping force is really tight.

you also have to remember that these headphones are designed for studio use. they are not designed for home use although they can be used as such like any headphones can. its the same between the DT-990 Pro and the DT-990 Edition. the Edition are tuned for home use.

i personally think the new DT-900 are superb and a step forward for Beyerdynamic. now all we need is a new DT-800 ProX :)

personally I dream a DT 1770 PRO X 🤘🤘

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #772 of 902
Listening to headphones at max volume is a one-way ticket to tinnitus and hearing loss as you get older, man, be careful.
I listen at max volume all the time and my hearing is just fine. It is real weird, though, that all people ever seem to say to me is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #775 of 902
DT-900 Pro X sound great at all volumes I've listened to them at, but I like them at or around conversational volume - hearing is precious, spending it unwisely when you're young is a shame. The ringing goes away now but comes back later, louder and forever. I wish that I had always, always worn hearing protection when drumming in metal bands when I was younger - I usually did, but there were a few times, and now those few times will last until I'm dead, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Thank goodness it's not very loud, not a complex pitch, doesn't tend to get in the way when I am listening to or working with audio, and doesn't register as hearing loss when I get tested. But it's always there!

I'm a metalhead too, I get the feeling you are relating here but our parts have their limits.

I am sad to think one day you will regret your choices to blast through your headphones, but I can't make you do differently, here's hoping it isn't too bad for you as time goes on.

DT-700 Pro X are 117dB/V, sensitivity 103dB/mW. Damage to your hearing can occur in as little as 15 minutes at 100dB+, 5 minutes at 105-110dB. Higher than that, in as little as 2 minutes. Source

Again I can't make you do differently but just consider a bit, do you want to still hear metal when you're fifteen years older than you are right now? Or thirty, or more? And act accordingly.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #776 of 902
I've had band mates that had to quit even listening to music because of getting tinnitus, used to be talented musicians, I've been relative lucky but it's not because of being any wiser just more lucky

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #777 of 902
DT-900 Pro X sound great at all volumes I've listened to them at, but I like them at or around conversational volume - hearing is precious, spending it unwisely when you're young is a shame. The ringing goes away now but comes back later, louder and forever. I wish that I had always, always worn hearing protection when drumming in metal bands when I was younger - I usually did, but there were a few times, and now those few times will last until I'm dead, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Thank goodness it's not very loud, not a complex pitch, doesn't tend to get in the way when I am listening to or working with audio, and doesn't register as hearing loss when I get tested. But it's always there!

I'm a metalhead too, I get the feeling you are relating here but our parts have their limits.

I am sad to think one day you will regret your choices to blast through your headphones, but I can't make you do differently, here's hoping it isn't too bad for you as time goes on.

DT-700 Pro X are 117dB/V, sensitivity 103dB/mW. Damage to your hearing can occur in as little as 15 minutes at 100dB+, 5 minutes at 105-110dB. Higher than that, in as little as 2 minutes. Source

Again I can't make you do differently but just consider a bit, do you want to still hear metal when you're fifteen years older than you are right now? Or thirty, or more? And act accordingly.
I get what you mean but a headphone needs to go loud without distortion and when it goes with this issue then it's vital to enjoy it!!! I get you safety conserns but enjoyment is vital here! loud doesn't mean always unsafe!

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #778 of 902
Unfortunately that's not quite correct: it may hurt less without distortion, but the stress on the ear is still there. And permanent damage is derived simply by exposure to a certain level over a stretch of time. The values given above may be a bit on the low side, but the exact duration does not matter that much: damage is done by exposure to very high SPL. And that starts at less than 100dB. Which is actually quite loud when standing in front of a PA, but less impressive when using headphones -- which makes them more troublesome I think.

Having worked for 3 decades in pro audio as a live sound technician (using hearing protection of course) I think I know *all* the excuses DJs and musicians make for not wearing hearing protection yet blasting out loud... nowadays its technically feasible to reproduce sound at literally ear-splitting levels without distortion. That does not make extended exposure any safer though, just less painful.

I know morals are not in high regard, and the last thing I want to do is to kill the fun with music. Yet personally I prefer to keep my hearing for a bit longer... and since damage is in many cases not reversible, planning ahead is crucial.

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #779 of 902
Unfortunately that's not quite correct: it may hurt less without distortion, but the stress on the ear is still there. And permanent damage is derived simply by exposure to a certain level over a stretch of time. The values given above may be a bit on the low side, but the exact duration does not matter that much: damage is done by exposure to very high SPL. And that starts at less than 100dB. Which is actually quite loud when standing in front of a PA, but less impressive when using headphones -- which makes them more troublesome I think.

Having worked for 3 decades in pro audio as a live sound technician (using hearing protection of course) I think I know *all* the excuses DJs and musicians make for not wearing hearing protection yet blasting out loud... nowadays its technically feasible to reproduce sound at literally ear-splitting levels without distortion. That does not make extended exposure any safer though, just less painful.

I know morals are not in high regard, and the last thing I want to do is to kill the fun with music. Yet personally I prefer to keep my hearing for a bit longer... and since damage is in many cases not reversible, planning ahead is crucial.
the every point here is the headphone to provide with high volume without distortion for those who want the MAX!!!! the new Pro X series let's do this beautifully!!! when the older and tesla drivers distorted very easily when crank up the volume. I just take anyrime the flexibility and the working right headphone aditude 🤘🤘🤘

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #780 of 902
the every point here is the headphone to provide with high volume without distortion for those who want the MAX!!!! the new Pro X series let's do this beautifully!!! when the older and tesla drivers distorted very easily when crank up the volume. I just take anyrime the flexibility and the working right headphone aditude 🤘🤘🤘
There’s no doubt that a driver capable of high SPL with low distortion is technically better and might even sound better (different can of worms…)
My point is that even with low distortion high SPL is detrimental to the mechanic side of hearing, also impacting the nerves involved.

That being said, feel free to listen at whatever level you wish. The beauty of headphones is that it doesn’t impact others (much), so it’s just your personal decision about what you later want to be able to do with your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back