New Beats, SCAM?
Jan 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
I think these look quite good.
I'm guessing Monster has seen a lot more success in upscale headphones than they expected, so they're trying to move even more upmarket and see how well something even more (supposedly) high end will do. The proliferation of flagship headphones from other companies also probably has them thinking that the market's ready for something more upscale and it's time to cash in.
I'm kinda conflicted about these. On one hand, it's great that the idea of expensive, high-quality headphones is starting to become more socially acceptable. On the other hand, if these aren't too good - and I don't expect them to be - they'll probably end up showing a lot of people that expensive headphones aren't necessarily better than cheap ones. The Beats have probably done a lot of that already.
Monster's both hurting and helping the idea of expensive, premium headphones. Probably more helping than hurting though, and significantly more at that. Even if the Beats are nothing more than a fad and a fashion statement, they're still selling the idea that it's ok to spend more on headphones and not be (socially) an idiot. Also, these are probably not aimed at the teen and twentysomething demographic so they will probably (hopefully) be voiced differently, and will offer something other than just bad bass. Monster has good engineers, they just don't let their engineers do what they should.
I should probably word this in a way that's moderately intelligible, but screw it, this will have to do.

I'd rather that they wouldn't mess with what we have going on here. Because even if they look more professional the most probable thing is that the people who have bought or are thinking to buy beats so far are all going to worship them as the best sounding headphones. In that way they might be supporting the headphone market.
Unless you think that people who could have been sucked by the audiophile market will instead follow this kind of weird rip-off, until many other brands with the same purpose start appearing until we get to see something ridiculous like 500$ SkullCandy's

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 32
New design, old sound? we will wait and see if they worth the price. 
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 32
Monster doesn't sell to the audiophile market. They don't give a damn about the audiophile market, it's just not big enough. Neither does the average consumer. The average buyer sees headphones as something cheap and disposable, and the very idea of spending several hundred dollars on headphones meets with a hearty "huh?" at best. And Monster are changing that. Granted they're changing that with something that's a fashion statement and not an actual high-end headphone, but they're telling average consumers that it's ok to spend a few hundred on headphones, and someone that's done that is far more likely to actually discover the audiophile market than someone that wouldn't have ever thought of spending more than $20 on a pair of cheapies from Best Buy. And that is why Monster are helping the market. Hell, they're creating a lot of said market in the first place.

Also, let's not get ahead of ourselves, a few hundred bucks is not audiophile, and neither are most headphones at all, to be brutally honest.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
Monster doesn't sell to the audiophile market. They don't give a damn about the audiophile market, it's just not big enough. Neither does the average consumer. The average buyer sees headphones as something cheap and disposable, and the very idea of spending several hundred dollars on headphones meets with a hearty "huh?" at best. And Monster are changing that. Granted they're changing that with something that's a fashion statement and not an actual high-end headphone, but they're telling average consumers that it's ok to spend a few hundred on headphones, and someone that's done that is far more likely to actually discover the audiophile market than someone that wouldn't have ever thought of spending more than $20 on a pair of cheapies from Best Buy. And that is why Monster are helping the market. Hell, they're creating a lot of said market in the first place.
Also, let's not get ahead of ourselves, a few hundred bucks is not audiophile, and neither are most headphones at all, to be brutally honest.

That's what I meant actually. But I would refer headphones as audiophile if they are committed to have the best sound for the price instead of looks or whatnot. Maybe I should say hi-fi

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 32

Quote:

Do the Monster Turbine Pro's not cater to the audiophile market? While their MSRP is ridiculous, the Coppers can be found on Amazon for ~$250 which makes them quite respectable IMO.

I seriously doubt that anything from the Beats by Dre line will be anything other than overly-priced marketing hype, but maybe will eventually extend their Pro line to include full-sized headphones. I still have high hopes for these though as the design is quite refined IMO.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 32
Wow they had to make sure to hit ALL the buzz words in there little "review"

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #22 of 32
Since my earlier post about the beatsexecutive web site, I still see people here postng comments as if this is a real product. I'll say it again and a bit louder this time:

This just an elaborate HOAX.

Here's why. It was late last night when I looked at the web site, I went back to see if I cound find some more clues. First off, there are no references to trademarks or copyright, nor any links to official Monster web sites (there is also no press release on official sites about this product).

I missed the top email link last night, today I saw it and it links to a mail system at "news.extrafantastic.com" and further investigation of the site shows it to be owned by a Boulder, CO based web designer named Will Henderson. The beatsexecutive web site is hosted on extrafantastic's servers, along with several of Will Henderson's personal sites. If t was truly an official site it would be hosted on monster's own servers (aawsom.net). I'm also pretty certain that companies cannot legally hide behind proxy registrations.

What is amazing is that this has been going on for nearly two months and hundreds of web sites and thousands of punters have been taken in by it. This includes well known websites like CNet, Vibe and Huffington Post, to name but a few. Some of these sites have even managed to give pricing (for both USA and the UK), released dates (including just before Christmas), and the stores and territories were they will be sold.

Maybe it is time to ask Will a few questions, I'm not on Twitter, but maybe some of you who are would like to ask about this project that is hosted on his servers. http://twitter.com/#!/willhenderson

The funny thing is, there is probably a Chinese factory owner in Shenzen, having seen the web site, churning out knock-offs already!

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
Since my earlier post about the beatsexecutive web site, I still see people here postng comments as if this is a real product. I'll say it again and a bit louder ths time:

Here's why. It was late last night when I looked at the web site, I went back to see if I cound find some more clues. First off, there are no references to trademarks or copyright, nor any links to official Monster web sites (there is also no press release on official sites about this product).

I missed the top email link last night, today I saw it and it links to a mail system at "news.extrafantastic.com" and further investigation of the site shows it to be owned by a Boulder, CO based web designer named Will Henderson. The beatsexecutive web site is hosted on extrafantastic's servers, along with several of Will Henderson's personal sites. If t was truly an official site it would be hosted on monster's own servers (aawsom.net). I'm also pretty certain that companies cannot legally hide behind proxy registrations.

What is amazing is that this has been going on for nearly two months and hundreds of web sites and thousands of punters have been taken in by it. This includes well known websites like CNet, Vibe and Huffington Post, to name but a few. Some of these sites have even managed to give pricing (for both USA and the UK), released dates (including just before Christmas), and the stores and territories were they will be sold.

Maybe it is time to ask Will a few questions, I'm not on Twitter, but maybe some of you who are would like to ask about this project that is hosted on his servers. http://twitter.com/#!/willhenderson

The funny this is there is probably a Chinese factory owner in Shenzen, having seen the web site, churning out knock-offs already!

I have to say, that it is a pretty good detective work done there, my friend.

The sad thing about it is, that these are still better looking when it comes to colors (or abundance of colors, the photos look plain black and white) than the original beats. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Since my earlier post about the beatsexecutive web site, I still see people here postng comments as if this is a real product. I'll say it again and a bit louder this time:

The funny thing is, there is probably a Chinese factory owner in Shenzen, having seen the web site, churning out knock-offs already!

I knew they wrest from monster but they are the same deal, it's probable that they don't even exist and were just a market test

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #26 of 32
i would have never got into decent headphones if it wasn't for dre beats. the dre beats have got consumers interested in spending hundreds for headphones, i've swayed several of my friends away from dre beats to respectable brands :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
i would have never got into decent headphones if it wasn't for dre beats. the dre beats have got consumers interested in spending hundreds for headphones, i've swayed several of my friends away from dre beats to respectable brands :)

well i got into headphones because of speakers. If they had good entry level headphones (grado maybe?) and the employees actually knew what they say they could get people into headphones the same way, but I guess I'm asking too much from everyone.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 32
It's a shame. IMO, these are nicer than regular Beats (though that's not saying too much, not very hard to beat Skullcandy-esque plastic).

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #30 of 32

No, these are real.

http://store.monstercable.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=135&idproduct=9234
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Executive-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005HTBISC

They also show up in the product registration drop down.

http://beatsbydre.com/support/register.aspx

I suspect these were intended to be announced this week but for some reason the official announcement was withdrawn. It happens. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back