NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,531 of 2,079
On a side note, I have noticed today a rattling/knocking sound in the left ear cup when walking or turning my head.

Found out it was the left ANC dial was VERY loose, can wiggle it around and hear it knocking.

It drives me nuts hearing it when walking now, especially considering the price of these.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,532 of 2,079
Tested the H95. Sounds pretty good. I think it has slightly more bass slam than APM, or at least it feels a touch heavier but not sloppy. Mids were reasonable. Treble was there and quite detailed but not crunchy/sparkly or in your face.

For a B&O the ANC is waaaaay improved over previous versions like H9 3rd.

It also has much less hiss and eletronic noise. But it still has some.

I would have liked more image depth and more soundstage.

I still think the H6 1st gen was their best can.

Ultimately these offer little to nothing over the Airpods Max, and is much too expensive.

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,533 of 2,079
Tested the H95. Sounds pretty good. I think it has slightly more bass slam than APM, or at least it feels a touch heavier but not sloppy. Mids were reasonable. Treble was there and quite detailed but not crunchy/sparkly or in your face.

For a B&O the ANC is waaaaay improved over previous versions like H9 3rd.

It also has much less hiss and eletronic noise. But it still has some.

I would have liked more image depth and more soundstage.

I still think the H6 1st gen was their best can.

Ultimately these offer little to nothing over the Airpods Max, and is much too expensive.
I agree with you - H95's are quite decent, but lacking some soundstage/dynamics and mids are not their best area - a bit thin with some sharp moments. Highs and bass are the highlights of these cans. And of course their portability.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,535 of 2,079
Will I benefit form using Spotify premium, and a dragon fly cobalt or red, also looking in a razor Onxy dac . Use h95 thanks 🙏

Not really no... Because of the fact that the H95 have no passive mode (=using the H95 while completely disabling the internal DAC/AMP) and the speaker drivers have specifically been tuned to match the internal DSP, you will not get the maximum out of an external DAC/AMP... (In comparison, the DALI IO-6 has this passive mode and improves beautifully with an external DAC/AMP)...

On the topic of Spotify however, the H95 are a way better pair of headphones than Spotify can bring out. Using a Hifi subscription from Tidal or Qubuz definitely is worth the investment... And if you really want to make sure the H95 operate at their maximum capabilities, make sure your source device (eg Phone or DAP) supports APTX-HD...

Note: do not assume that all modern smartphones support APTX-HD.. Samsung for instance as the world's largest smartphone manufacturer actually does not support APTX-HD... https://www.aptx.com/products is your friend. You can use this to find brands of smartphones and music players that do... (That's for instance why I stayed away from an iBasso DX300 when shopping for a new DAP. I want my DAPS to support all hi-res codecs)

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #1,536 of 2,079
Not really no... Because of the fact that the H95 have no passive mode (=using the H95 while completely disabling the internal DAC/AMP) and the speaker drivers have specifically been tuned to match the internal DSP, you will not get the maximum out of an external DAC/AMP... (In comparison, the DALI IO-6 has this passive mode and improves beautifully with an external DAC/AMP)...

On the topic of Spotify however, the H95 are a way better pair of headphones than Spotify can bring out. Using a Hifi subscription from Tidal or Qubuz definitely is worth the investment... And if you really want to make sure the H95 operate at their maximum capabilities, make sure your source device (eg Phone or DAP) supports APTX-HD...

Note: do not assume that all modern smartphones support APTX-HD.. Samsung for instance as the world's largest smartphone manufacturer actually does not support APTX-HD... https://www.aptx.com/products is your friend. You can use this to find brands of smartphones and music players that do... (That's for instance why I stayed away from an iBasso DX300 when shopping for a new DAP. I want my DAPS to support all hi-res codecs)
Thanks for good explanation I use iOS devices so wil I buy one for Christmas holiday,

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #1,537 of 2,079
Now I changed OnePlus8pro Dolby Atmos Scenario-Based Enhancement setting to Dynamic and Intelligent Styles to Warm and they sound better - sound is more dynamic and mids coming more in face, and are less boxy or thin. Bass getting better as well, nice : )

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,538 of 2,079
Hallo,

could some one please explain, what is the purpose of wiring the H95 when there is no passive mode? Do I get more battery life? Better sound? If the sound ist always processed by the headphones internal DSP how that would work with wires phones, the wired signal is analog not digital?

Can someone eleborate on that?

Thank you.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #1,539 of 2,079
Hallo,

could some one please explain, what is the purpose of wiring the H95 when there is no passive mode? Do I get more battery life? Better sound? If the sound ist always processed by the headphones internal DSP how that would work with wires phones, the wired signal is analog not digital?

Can someone eleborate on that?

Thank you.

Mainly, lower latency and use with legacy devices which don't support Bluetooth.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,542 of 2,079

Not really true on the wiring topic. I use them 99% of the time wired into ASIO capable DAC/AMP behind my computer and there is significant difference compared to wireless sources even if internal DSP is active. The sound is more dynamic and warmer to me and most important is 0ms latency. I'm alergic when someone is "talking" to me and I see that delay.

If you are seeking for wireless combo you definitelly want to pair it with iOS device and Spotify premium is more than enough. Tidal is overkill. Bitrate is not everything. Do a quick codec research and you will find why AAC is better overall over aptx and aptx-hd and again it's not an bitrate thing. iOS because of AAC codec which is the best implemention made by Apple and Windows 11 will support it as well. Biggest advantage of H95 is aptx-adaptive and also biggest disadvantage at the same time because you can count supported devices on one hand. Why only so many? Because radio smog is too high to achieve high quality connection for aptx adaptive in standard environment. Thats why we don't see new aptx adaptive devices coming in even after several years.

On the new FW topic. They didn't fixed the issues I reported previously so I went back to them asking What because they stated the fix will be applied in next firmware release. I also asked them for full changelog because they clearly didn't covered all changes (wind noise feature for example). The answer was like they are working on it and process need to pass several stages in order to get into production which I completely understand, so next update they stated. To my next question asking them "which year" they didn't replied. The only improvement I noticed is volume knob is more responsive. Other than that nothing in my use case. I don't have aptx-hd capable device to check any improvement, but standard aptx and aac are the same.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,543 of 2,079
Not really true on the wiring topic. I use them 99% of the time wired into ASIO capable DAC/AMP behind my computer and there is significant difference compared to wireless sources even if internal DSP is active. The sound is more dynamic and warmer to me and most important is 0ms latency. I'm alergic when someone is "talking" to me and I see that delay.

I see that I was not completely clear here. @Soundfidelity was referring to the use of H95 with dongles such as the Dragonfly.. That implies 3.5mm analog..

Your point about the DSP and the sound quality is about the USB connection where the DSP is perfectly tuned to the H95 internal DAC & AMP.. And yes, I agree, in ASIO mode via USB the H95 sounds way better than via an analog 3.5mm connection

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,544 of 2,079
If you are seeking for wireless combo you definitelly want to pair it with iOS device and Spotify premium is more than enough. Tidal is overkill. Bitrate is not everything. Do a quick codec research and you will find why AAC is better overall over aptx and aptx-hd and again it's not an bitrate thing. iOS because of AAC codec which is the best implemention made by Apple and Windows 11 will support it as well. Biggest advantage of H95 is aptx-adaptive and also biggest disadvantage at the same time because you can count supported devices on one hand. Why only so many? Because radio smog is too high to achieve high quality connection for aptx adaptive in standard environment. Thats why we don't see new aptx adaptive devices coming in even after several years.

I beg to differ.. Aside from what my ears are telling me (I have IOS devices, Android devices, Windows 11 devices and OSX devices so can test all scenarios. I also have headphones that support all codecs) the difference between APTX-HD and AptX adaptive is about something completely different...

Yes, we live in congested environments with WiFi and Bluetooth both clogging up the 2.4ghz spectrum. But AptX Adaptive is an answer to the capability of dynamically being able to maintain connection in difficult environments by decreasing and increasing bandwidth. AptX adaptive is *not* a better sounding codec than APTX-HD.. Its added value is that is better capable of maintaining a steady connection in all circumstances and combines that with the capabilities of what was introduced with APTX-LL .. And yes, while developing AptX adaptive they have been able to increase the compression a bit reducing the required bandwidth in the process.

This developement in APTX technology was partially in answer of a phenomenon where LDAC at its highest quality level (990kbps) has difficulties maintaining a stable connection. And when that happens, the fact that LDAC cannot dynamically scale down results in drop outs. This plus that fact that LDAC already is less stable than APTX-(any form) to begin with makes it somewhat less than ideal.. (For example my Ananda BT sounded better in LDAC but was more comfortable to listen to in APTX-HD. Ironically my Shanling M8 is the first DAP ever that I found to support an obscure variety of LDAC-Adaptive).. Oh and before I forget.. APTX-adaptive and the individual AptX flavors (classic, HD and LL) are of course universally compatible.

Now back to the difference between AAC and APTX-HD.. Indeed, strictly looking at maximum bandwidth (AAC 256-320kbps vs APTX 452-576kbps) neither of them supports the full bandwidth of a native full resolution sound stream. There will always be compression, whatever technology you pic.

APTX however also supports hi-res between LPCM 16bit/48khz and LPCM 24bit/48kHz, and that difference is audible (LDAC btw supports 24bit/96khz and sounds even better)... AAC only supports 16bit/44.1khz...

For more on Bluetooth technology see these excellent reads:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundguys.com/understanding-bluetooth-codecs-15352/amp/

and

https://www.soundguys.com/aptx-adaptive-explained-18768/

To finally top it off, aptx adaptive is increasingly becoming mainstream. For a list of devices, see the following link for a list devices that support it

https://www.aptx.com/product-listin...ax]=2021/12/31&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-190444_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20211213-190444_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,545 of 2,079
For claim before that Spotify will manage enough compared to Apple Music lossless quality I have to disagree, because I have both and Apple sound way better. The higher quality increases a realistic feel of sound, it is quite clear difference by ear.

Dolby Atmos lossless APTX-adaptive is better than Dolby Atmos compressed APTX-adaptive. More resolution is more room in sound as well - a wider detailed soundstage. There is no such overkill in sound existed but lack of equipment to deliver it or lack of ears to digest it instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back