NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,246 of 2,079
I certainly hope that the H95 has better sound! The H95s may have the best sound quality for an ANC headset -- the problem is that none of the B&O bluetooth ANC headsets have very good ANC (as compared to Bose/Sony/Apple).

With "bling bling" my meaning is: more flashy / shiny design of the touch area. This is why I posting the photo.

The h95 anc in combination with the excellent passive isolation is offering, in fact, sufficiently close isolation than sony xm3. And I know this because I have xm3 with me still (and xm3 having better isolation than qc35 and nc700, in fact).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,247 of 2,079
Quick notes I making after one hour:
  • More full sound in h95, very more correct and realistic comparing with speakers.
  • HX sounding thin. Sibilance present (probably peak in about 7kHz), snares and cymbals hurting my ears in some tracks. Never in h95
  • Low end extension not so good in hx, excellent in h95
  • Next/previous touch control not always responsive in hx. I understanding people complaining about this in other headphones (like hx now), yes!, but not in h95 that is 99,9% responsive. (h95 owners never mentioning how good is this aspect, and this is so very important for me)
  • Carry case better (more practical) in hx even if h95 case more classy and beautiful
  • Volume control so so in hx, is definitely better having physical buttons like many headphones in this case (qc35 perfect example, and best with this type of buttons). Can't comparing with fantastic h95 volume dial (for me critical aspect) that having best volume control than all headphones.
  • Better ear cups adjustment in h95 for precision in fit.
  • Pause feature in hx working fine and is nice having but isn't necessary.
  • I preferring on-off button in h95 (feeling very, very solid) than press on/off in hx that feeling more cheap.
  • I liking the more black / more dark colour of h95 than dark grey (not really black) of hx.
  • HX isn't so heavy like the h95, but the h95 is feeling definitely more solid and premium.
After trying the hx, I'm again appreciating the h95 more. This happening when I trying the AirPods Max (APM) too, but I prefer the APM than hx. I'm a fanboy of h95? No (even if this post is looking like that). But a premium headphone from the same company (the hx) isn't, in my opinion, comparing very well with the excellent h95.

Independent of sound, price and features, if you liking 'bling bling', buy the hx (or better, the Portal!). If you liking more sophistication, buy the h95 (see the photo below).

h95_hx bling.jpg
Thanks for your comparison, does the HX sound better than the H9 3rd Generation? Will you also test the Portal?

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,248 of 2,079
Thanks for your comparison, does the HX sound better than the H9 3rd Generation?

Is a long time now that I trying the h9 3g and our memory for audio isn't very good. But from my memory I think the hx sound is more like h9i that I never liking at all. I don't remember not liking the h9 3g like I don't like the hx now. In fact, after I returning my second pair of sennheiser m3, I considering very seriously buying the h9 3g for second time, and this is when I discovering a new model coming 'very soon' (the h95).

Will you also test the Portal?

No.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,249 of 2,079
The HX isn't "bling, bling." It has usable ANC during phone calls, unlike the H95. It has a transparency/ANC button that is far easier (and quicker) to use than the dial on the left ear cup. I would argue that the on/off/bluetooth switch on the HX is better than the slider on the H95 -- easier to press, and most importantly, it can't confusingly be in the "on" position when the headphones are off.

I certainly hope that the H95 has better sound! The H95s may have the best sound quality for an ANC headset -- the problem is that none of the B&O bluetooth ANC headsets have very good ANC (as compared to Bose/Sony/Apple).
Having got the HX and up until a month or two ago had the H95 I’d agree with this.

The HX addresses some major flaws IMO with the H95 - two of which you’ve highlighted.
The HX is essentially the exact same hardware platform as the H95 so the ANC is identical on both.

I’d also argue the overall sound is very similar on both too - it’s the classic B&O signature - clean highs, great separation and detail with plenty of subbass extension. The H95 has possibly a little more punch but that’s it.

There is obviously a market out there for the H95, but out of the two I’d pick the HX every time because to me the difference between them doesn’t justify the cost difference - especially factoring in the serious calling/transparency flaw with the H95.

I still prefer the APM overall but I actually find the HX to be a nice compliment to them rather than a one or the other choice. I will admit I do rather enjoy the lighter weight and the lamb skin ear pads on the HX over the APM.

I think overall B&O have done a great job with the HX - they’ve addressed long standing complaints with the H9 series like the carry case and the failure prone power button and put together a really solid package.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,250 of 2,079
I tried these out at Yodobashi camera and they sound the same, which is to say, a very good thing. The problem with the H95 is the volume. It plays like 35% of the volume at 75%. So the HX is definitely the cheaper way to go. Still, both sound wonderful and you can't go wrong with either.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,252 of 2,079
I don’t testing yet but is possible too that isolation with and without anc is better because the h95 is having better passive isolation.

So, I testing ANC and Transparency and I'm correct yesterday in my assumptions.

Both with anc on or off the h95 offering more isolation. With anc this is even more evident, so anc in hx isn't so good like h95.

In transparency mode, the HX is more loud (only one setting is available) with outside sounds. In h95 in max transparency setting is little more quiet than hx only setting. With HX:

1. If you want going from ANC to Transparency is only one click of the button.
2. If you want going from Transparency to ANC then is 2 clicks.**
3. If you want going from Off to Transparency then is 2 clicks too.**
4. If you want going from ANC to Off then is 2 clicks too.**

The order is this: ANC > Transparency > Off > ANC > Transparency > Off...

** You can't clicking quickly 2 times for a change to the mode you wanting after 2 clicks. You must waiting little time from first to second click. BUT this waiting time isn't so long like in sony xm3 and xm4. When 2 clicks is necessary in hx, the h95 is actually more quick in obtaining this specific modes (2, 3, 4 above)

The HX don't remember the last setting and is always going to ANC by default when you turning on the headphone again. The h95 aways remembering the last setting (ANC, Transparency or Off) when you turning on the headphone again.

EDIT: I have return label now an I'm returning hx tomorrow. If somebody having serious question about hx, please ask only today.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,253 of 2,079
A very long, long (48 minutes!) review and comparison of h95 and apple airpods max here.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,254 of 2,079
The HX addresses some major flaws IMO with the H95 - two of which you’ve highlighted.
The HX is essentially the exact same hardware platform as the H95 so the ANC is identical on both.
Emanuel G. from B&O replied today to a query of mine about the ANC during phone calls, and he states that the HX is no better than the H95!

With the H95 the Active Noise Cancellation feature is disabled during calls due to the same array of microphones in use during the call are also the ones the headset uses for this feature. Due to the active component being disabled only the passive noise cancellation is present from the cushions which may give the impression transparency mode is active.
The Beoplay HX has the same technical limitation I am sorry to say.
And frankly, I noticed while I took a phone call yesterday that the HX seemed to be in transparency mode 😞

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,255 of 2,079
Emanuel G. from B&O replied today to a query of mine about the ANC during phone calls, and he states that the HX is no better than the H95!

And frankly, I noticed while I took a phone call yesterday that the HX seemed to be in transparency mode 😞
How bizarre, because the HX and H95 definitely do behave very differently with calls based on my experience.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,256 of 2,079
How bizarre, because the HX and H95 definitely do behave very differently with calls based on my experience.
Meant to add - if it was B&O support that replied from the website then it isn’t really B&O proper. They’re not known for the best support.

I’d be tempted to ask on the Beoworld forums where Geoff Martin often replies directly to posts there

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,257 of 2,079
I just got a pair of H95 and I absolutely love them. I am experiencing an issue and wonder if it is normal. They have the normal hiss in transparency and it is controlled enough for me. However, if I press play, just a moment before music starts, a higher pitch whirring sounds starts and continues until about 5 or 10 seconds after I pause. While music is playing, it is fine because the music drowns it out, but in videos (like YouTube) the whirring is constant and very distracting.

Do any other H95 owners experience this? Is it a defect?

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,258 of 2,079
I just got a pair of H95 and I absolutely love them. I am experiencing an issue and wonder if it is normal. They have the normal hiss in transparency and it is controlled enough for me. However, if I press play, just a moment before music starts, a higher pitch whirring sounds starts and continues until about 5 or 10 seconds after I pause. While music is playing, it is fine because the music drowns it out, but in videos (like YouTube) the whirring is constant and very distracting.

Do any other H95 owners experience this? Is it a defect?
I never had that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back