NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #392 of 2,079
Anyone have any experience of using the H95 with an external dac? I have the H6's and they sound exquisite, with both my Dragonfly Red and my Zorloo Stella, but my B&W PX's have a faint crackling from the Dragonfly (a known issue) but not from the Stella.
I don‘t hear much difference with a RME Adi 2 DAC or a Focal Arche, so I assume there is no change to Bluetooth

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #393 of 2,079
UPS just dropped off my H95!

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #394 of 2,079
Really interested in these. Currently have the Momentum 3 wireless which sound so much better with the new eq update. Wondering how these compare with an eq'd M3, specifically given that the sens have a relatively wide soundstage which I really didn't get from other ANC sets I tested.

Also awaiting comparisons with the drop thx!

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #395 of 2,079
Dolores is in love!
There's this elegant B&O store in my city I didn't know about. so I took a visit in a spare hour I had yesterday morning.
I didn't even look at the weirdly shaped speakers scattered around and my eyes got caught by a pair of black H95 right away. The circular side of the earcups was covered by an awkward blue protective film. I went "Oh, here they are... Hmm, Black Look Mortifies! Truly boring!".
I turned to the store manager and went "But there's also a grey version, right?". He walked to a brushed aluminum case and opened it in front of me, revealing the shiny folded H95... "Whoa!"
The guy handed me the unfolded cans and I immediately had goosebumps just by touching them. The weight was there, but it wasn't too much. Just the right amount that tells you there's beef into that stunning look, and weight completely disappeared once on my head. I didn't even had to adjust the headband. A glowing glove.
I asked if I could take a listen, and was kindly agreed. The sound can't be compared to my favorite wired IEMs, but I was ready for that. It blew my B&W PX's out of the water anyway when fed some reference flac files through aptX HD from a quickly-hooking FiiO M11 Pro running Neutron (the guy's iPhone was still struggling to find the cans, you picture that...!).
Balanced, rich, detailed enough yet laid back in the high-mids and treble area. Fast. Thumpy but not too bassy. Wide enough, although the stage seemed to shrink by dialing the ANC all the way up, along with worse positioning.
"Enjoyable and sweetly balanced", I would summarize.
Everything else was 100% spot-on: the weight, the looks, the feel, the comfort. All these were almost too good to be true.
I urged myself not to buy them right away and left the store after a little chat, just to end up calling the guy in the evening and ask him to keep that (only one available) grey H95 pair for me to pick up on Monday...
:L3000: I can hardly wait.

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #396 of 2,079
I've just got my H95... And for now I am vey disappointed (I listened it for about 1 hr). Hights sound SOO oversharped... It is absolutely impossible to listen. I will try to find some EQ preset near RELAXED position, but it already sound so unnatural. And there is no midrange clarity. Sounds as very v-shape sound. I am still very exited about Beoplay H6 and it is the best B&O headphone set yet. I will write more in a few days.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #397 of 2,079
I've just got my H95... And for now I am vey disappointed (I listened it for about 1 hr). Hights sound SOO oversharped... It is absolutely impossible to listen. I will try to find some EQ preset near RELAXED position, but it already sound so unnatural. And there is no midrange clarity. Sounds as very v-shape sound. I am still very exited about Beoplay H6 and it is the best B&O headphone set yet. I will write more in a few days.

Maybe this 2 graphs can helping explaining why you hearing the h95 "Hights sound SOO oversharped" and saying "there is no midrange clarity":

Beoplay H6
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 14.34.49.png:

Beoplay H95 (red)
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 14.35.18.png

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #398 of 2,079
Maybe this 2 graphs can helping explaining why you hearing the h95 "Hights sound SOO oversharped" and saying "there is no midrange clarity":

Beoplay H6
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 14.34.49.png:

Beoplay H95 (red)
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 14.35.18.png
Thank you for these graphs. Actually I don't know what to think. I will listen it more. I'll try to write my thoughts in a few days. Just tell me please, did you mention any over-sharpness sounds in high frequencies? May be something wrong with my particular headphones? I also merged FR graphics for h95 and H6... it looks like it should feels opposite. But over-sharp is here. In H95. Build quality by the way is awesome.

Attachments

• 432.png
    432.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #399 of 2,079
Thank you for these graphs. Actually I don't know what to think. I will listen it more. I'll try to write my thoughts in a few days. Just tell me please, did you mention any over-sharpness sounds in high frequencies? May be something wrong with my particular headphones? I also merged FR graphics for h95 and H6... it looks like it should feels opposite. But over-sharp is here. In H95. Build quality by the way is awesome.

If you looking at the graphs more carefully, you will noticing that your comments are natural / understandable (for me is very clear). Why? Because the h6, even if the graph for this headphone isn't bad, is having emphasis in the mids (a little elevated, with minor dipping in one part of bass!). Then you can seeing dipping in mids / lower treble too, and this is why you hearing h95 very bright. The h95 graph is more correct than h6, and this meaning that is giving more faithful reproduction of the music you are listening.

Is very common that people that coming from a different headphone will finding a new headphone much better or worse, and this is depending in their taste of sound. When you listening one headphone / earphone only for a long time, is easy thinking is great or the best, and something different, even if more, more better, is maybe sounding wrong. The people that loving, for example, sony xm3 or xm4 maybe hating the h95 (or the very good sa50).

The h9 is definitely not v-shaped in sound, and isn't bright in treble at all if you are coming from, or considering, a reference / flat curve as your base. If you're coming from more warm / dark headphones, the h95 will sounding bad / wrong.

My suggestion is maybe listening only the h95 for 2-3 days so your ears are listening for more long period to a close to reference sound. Don't comparing in this days, or only after 2 days maybe. Is very possible that your h6 after this time will sounding not so good.

Is improbable, but not impossible, that your h95 is faulty.

Edit: BUT even if h95 is more correct than h6 (many people don't liking flat / neutral / reference sound), your sound preference is only yours, and if h95 at the end of some days isn't the correct flavour for you, is better you looking for something similar to h6, even if other people saying this or that headphone is the best in sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #400 of 2,079
I also merged FR graphics for h95 and H6... it looks like it should feels opposite. But over-sharp is here. In H95. Build quality by the way is awesome.

I only now looking more carefully at your new graph and you DON'T merging the 2 graphs I posting before correctly. The frequencies in each one don't corresponding directly with the other, plus dB difference in each graph is NOT correct either, so this is making the graph comparison even more incorrect. The 2 graphs are coming from 2 different sources so isn't easy doing what you're trying doing.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #401 of 2,079
You DON'T merging the graphs correctly. The frequencies in each one don't corresponding directly with the other, plus dB difference in each graph is different too so this is making the comparison more incorrect. The 2 graphs are coming from 2 different sources so is difficult doing what you're trying doing.
I've merged dB absolutely correctly and I tried to merge frequencies but there is no numbers on pictures... in any case it's more informative to compare then from different pictures with different scales.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #402 of 2,079
I've merged dB absolutely correctly and I tried to merge frequencies but there is no numbers on pictures... in any case it's more informative to compare then from different pictures with different scales.

The freq values are showing in my previous post but here you can trying again:

H6
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 20.42.46.png

H95 (red)
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 20.43.15.png

If you can't seeing again, try downloading the photos or click in this symbol in the right side in the bottom:

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 20.47.14.png

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #403 of 2,079
Hi all, how does the sound stage comparing to open back headphone such as Sennheiser hd650? Plan to use it for classical music sometimes, does it work? I used to own H8 and I think it’s good for pop but average for classical/jazz, main problem is the stage to narrow and there is not much separation of music instruments. Thank you in advance!

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #404 of 2,079
Hi all, how does the sound stage comparing to open back headphone such as Sennheiser hd650? Plan to use it for classical music sometimes, does it work? I used to own H8 and I think it’s good for pop but average for classical/jazz, main problem is the stage to narrow and there is not much separation of music instruments. Thank you in advance!

I have h8 and this isn't a good headphone for sound in general, like you saying maybe good for pop and some rock. The h95 is more flat / linear and, like other flat / reference sounding headphones is better for classical and jazz AND for very good recordings in other genres, but even not so good recordings are sounding decent / good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back