NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #481 of 2,078
and have LDAC which is theoretically better than aptx HD
It is on paper, you're right. But you won't notice the difference unless you're playing 24/96 files, and even then I'm sure you wouldn't tell the difference since the H95 are good-sounding 'phones but not as discerning as to let you hear the gain. =)
aptX HD sounds just as fine as LDAC with a 99% 24/48 max. FLAC files library like mine.

As for the Ferrari / Merc analogy (I'm a huge F1 "tifoso" by the way... This kinda hurts)... The only thing that doesn't fit is that if you're blasting at 300km/h (or even 250km/h for that matter) on just about any road, you're running the risk of killing other people along with yourself.
If you want to get permanent hearing damage by cranking your cans up to a dangerous degree, the only inconvenience other people will experience is that they'll have to shout at you instead of whispering.
Only reason why you won't get that is because you're listening to very quiet classical music, and even then the H95 have an adequate output, not to mention you can still gather a handful of dBs by digitally pre-amping the signal, although it's far from ideal.

:deadhorse: Keep the volume at a reasonable level, gentlemen. Please. You'll thank me later. =)
Unless you're willing to die young on a steaming Ferrari while listening to _very_ loud music, that is.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #482 of 2,078
Has anyone managed yet to compare the H95 to the warmer treble sounding Montblanc MB01?

I've heard both. Been meaning to post full impressions of both but work has been manic. My quick comparison fwiw (which may well focus on some aspects that would be less important for others) would be:
MB01: amazing comfort and design (great for large heads like mine!), love the aesthetic (many ANC headphones don't get this right but these manage to not stick out on my head in a goofy way), really enjoyable sound with very good soundstage, compared to H95 sound it's a bit more grainy/lower res, warmer sound as you note and less sub bass, more of a mid focus, some hissing/digital noise but the ANC strength is actually very good and deals fairly well with wind noise. Main issue with the MB01 is the pair I tried went a bit odd when I downloaded the app and updated the firmware - the sound quality seemed to degrade. Did you have this issue?
H95: decent comfort, obviously very good build quality, I'm actually not a huge fan of how they look on my head as they stick out quite a bit when viewed head on (although other wireless cans have this issue too - most notably the PX7), fantastic sound, detailed for an ANC headphone and well balanced, ANC is decent but isn't good with wind noise at all which can make using them outdoors in a windy city like London quite tricky.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #483 of 2,078
I've heard both. Been meaning to post full impressions of both but work has been manic. My quick comparison fwiw (which may well focus on some aspects that would be less important for others) would be:
MB01: amazing comfort and design (great for large heads like mine!), love the aesthetic (many ANC headphones don't get this right but these manage to not stick out on my head in a goofy way), really enjoyable sound with very good soundstage, compared to H95 sound it's a bit more grainy/lower res, warmer sound as you note and less sub bass, more of a mid focus, some hissing/digital noise but the ANC strength is actually very good and deals fairly well with wind noise. Main issue with the MB01 is the pair I tried went a bit odd when I downloaded the app and updated the firmware - the sound quality seemed to degrade. Did you have this issue?
H95: decent comfort, obviously very good build quality, I'm actually not a huge fan of how they look on my head as they stick out quite a bit when viewed head on (although other wireless cans have this issue too - most notably the PX7), fantastic sound, detailed for an ANC headphone and well balanced, ANC is decent but isn't good with wind noise at all which can make using them outdoors in a windy city like London quite tricky.

Probably also worth mentioning the H95 battery is leagues above the MB01 but the MB01 battery life is just about passable.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #484 of 2,078

With the update, as you said, the sound changed. It kept going to a certain sound profile that I had to take back to the default via the app.

Also I noticed if you go to the EQ app you can increase the subbass if you use the EDM preset and then customize it back to neutral, but keep the 90Hz band up.

Responds really well to EQ, as you can make the treble brilliant too if you want. (Though it doesn't need it.)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #485 of 2,078
See if Ferrari sold me a car and said it is restricted to 250 km/hr because it is a statistical fact that cars driven above that speed can kill you, I would not buy that argument or buy that car.

I think this analogy isn't apt.

My wife listens louder than I do and 10 mins after listening to the headphones she said its not for her as the volume is not high enough. Believe it or not even my 72 yr old father said the same.

This is only telling me that your wife liking listening very, very loud. Maybe the same with your father, but I don't know if because of his age his hearing isn't so good like in the past (I don't meaning offending your father)

Yes , there are people who don't listen to loud music, for health reasons or whatever, you seem to be one of them. But it is nevertheless a limitation of these phones for MANY people, I am sure of it.

Incorrect. I like listening to music loud too sometimes, and depending of the master / recording quality I can easily playing 80% of the volume. In your world, and maybe people around you, of very loud listening you thinking I listening only quiet or mid volumes, and this is true sometimes, but many times I don't doing that.

I have decided to keep them for its other plus points (build quality, dials and the brand snobbery)

If "brand snobbery" is important for you, good. For me isn't important at all and I really preferring if the very visible brand in the case is tiny or not showing at all, or just small logo not the full name. I also preferring the b&o logo in the earcups is little more small / discreet or a least more dark. In audiophile circles b&o isn't exactly a brand you wanting mentioning to people. But I don't needing impressing (other) audiophiles or having their acceptance, I only recognising very good sound when I hearing this.

The XM4 remain the best option for less than half the price for 90% people, which do have better microphone quality than xm3 and now also can connect to multiple devices and have LDAC which is theoretically better than aptx HD.

I think the Microsoft Surface 2 is better than xm4 and is costing $250 USD, much less than xm4, and is having excellent construction (better than xm4), having dials too and is many more comfortable (for me) than xm4, is having really excellent microphones for calls, and fantastic anc.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #486 of 2,078
On the volume complaints for the H95, I'm wondering whether some people are listening via streaming services with volume normalisation settings turned on? If you have that setting turned off you should get more volume. Otherwise haven't experienced any issues with the H95 volume-wise.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #487 of 2,078
Maybe 250 km/hr was not the right speed to make analogy, should have written 150 km/hr restricted would have more aptx, I mean apt. The gist of what I meant was that for the price and how B&O is marketing this product, a little oomph in the volume department would not have hurt. By the way, I am not the only person complaining about this, so not sure why be so defensive on this one point.

Yes, audiophiles don't talk about B&O but there is no doubt there is brand snobbery in buying any product from B&O, see how they themselves market these headphones and their other products. Whether you personally care about brand snobbery or not is irrelevant and a personal choice.

Moving on - I am using both xm4 and h95 and I think they are more different than I initially thought. I feel the auto pause and the music pausing and activating ambient sound mode as soon as you start talking is simply awesome. The H95 are growing on me (keep in mind I made it clear that I had JUST gotten the phones and were jotting down my initial impressions) and I had to tweak the Listening Mode as none of the present ones in the appealed to my ears. Checkout the image for the ones interested/curious. One thing which these excel in, even, compared to Sony MDR-Z7 and others in this price range, is the mid, very very clear and intimate, not recessed. At the moment that is one of the strongest reasons for me to retain these.

Attachments

• 16029595490198542353591995175352.jpg
    16029595490198542353591995175352.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #488 of 2,078
It is on paper, you're right. But you won't notice the difference unless you're playing 24/96 files, and even then I'm sure you wouldn't tell the difference since the H95 are good-sounding 'phones but not as discerning as to let you hear the gain. =)
aptX HD sounds just as fine as LDAC with a 99% 24/48 max. FLAC files library like mine.

As for the Ferrari / Merc analogy (I'm a huge F1 "tifoso" by the way... This kinda hurts)... The only thing that doesn't fit is that if you're blasting at 300km/h (or even 250km/h for that matter) on just about any road, you're running the risk of killing other people along with yourself.
If you want to get permanent hearing damage by cranking your cans up to a dangerous degree, the only inconvenience other people will experience is that they'll have to shout at you instead of whispering.
Only reason why you won't get that is because you're listening to very quiet classical music, and even then the H95 have an adequate output, not to mention you can still gather a handful of dBs by digitally pre-amping the signal, although it's far from ideal.

:deadhorse: Keep the volume at a reasonable level, gentlemen. Please. You'll thank me later. =)
Unless you're willing to die young on a steaming Ferrari while listening to _very_ loud music, that is.

Hi, I can see people pairing this with Tidal premium in which case, it is may be unsettling for some to know that you have aptx hd (limited to 576 kbit/s / 48 kHz) when the song itself may be at a much higher resolution, especially with their master at 96 kHz. But I agree in practice the sound will be almost imperceptible but then a lot of people spending this kind of money think that they can hear minutest of differences..having said that for me personally, on these phones the difference between wires and wireless using aptx hd is very minimal.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #489 of 2,078
Hi, I can see people pairing this with Tidal premium in which case, it is may be unsettling for some to know that you have aptx hd
Hi back, buntyster mate!
Yeah, I can see 'em whining on that too! What a sorry sight!
The unsettling feeling you mentioned makes zero sense, but is still highly regarded as an "intellectual right", be like:
"Wha.. What with my Tidal 24/96 masters?! AptX HD is gonna KILL 'em!".
Really?! What a sorry sight again!

The H95's Ti/Nd drivers might stretch to what... 22KHz maybe (didn't check)? Gotcha. AptX HD's 24/48 will just do.
Your hearing will stretch to what... 20KHz? Good for you if it truly does! Gotcha once more though. Same as above.
I can hardly tell a 96KHz master from a 48KHz one myself when using my favorite 1DD+6BA+2EST IEMs ***!
I'll let you imagine how I'd (not) be able to discern that with the H95.
Seriously... Enough of the next Audiophile playing Batman! :bat: Although playing the superhero is admittedly fun sometimes.
24bit vs 16bit? Now that's another story! You're free to convince me you can tell the difference in dynamics then.

Movie talk apart, I took these beauties for a bus+train+walk looong ride on Friday and bwuoy they amazed me once more. Flat signature, yet engaging. Fast transients, nice fat down there without being too bassy, airy treble without harshness and mellow mids. A wide soundstage for a closed helmet and incredibly precise positioning if you consider that there's no high-mid boost.

And the lushy pads even allow me to put glasses on and off without the need of taking the headphones off or adjusting the fit.
Being ANC wireless, I can't find a weak spot in these 'phones just yet. Unless I'm playing the nitpicking job just for the sake of it.
Did I mention I'm in love with the H95?? =)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #490 of 2,078
Hi back, buntyster mate!
Yeah, I can see 'em whining on that too! What a sorry sight!
The unsettling feeling you mentioned makes zero sense, but is still highly regarded as an "intellectual right", be like:
"Wha.. What with my Tidal 24/96 masters?! AptX HD is gonna KILL 'em!".
Really?! What a sorry sight again!

The H95's Ti/Nd drivers might stretch to what... 22KHz maybe (didn't check)? Gotcha. AptX HD's 24/48 will just do.
Your hearing will stretch to what... 20KHz? Good for you if it truly does! Gotcha once more though. Same as above.
I can hardly tell a 96KHz master from a 48KHz one myself when using my favorite 1DD+6BA+2EST IEMs ***!
I'll let you imagine how I'd (not) be able to discern that with the H95.
Seriously... Enough of the next Audiophile playing Batman! :bat: Although playing the superhero is admittedly fun sometimes.
24bit vs 16bit? Now that's another story! You're free to convince me you can tell the difference in dynamics then.

Movie talk apart, I took these beauties for a bus+train+walk looong ride on Friday and bwuoy they amazed me once more. Flat signature, yet engaging. Fast transients, nice fat down there without being too bassy, airy treble without harshness and mellow mids. A wide soundstage for a closed helmet and incredibly precise positioning if you consider that there's no high-mid boost.

And the lushy pads even allow me to put glasses on and off without the need of taking the headphones off or adjusting the fit.
Being ANC wireless, I can't find a weak spot in these 'phones just yet. Unless I'm playing the nitpicking job just for the sake of it.
Did I mention I'm in love with the H95?? =)

Fair enough, only thing I want to know now is, are you in love with the H95s??

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #491 of 2,078
This discussion of loud enough is difficult to proove without measurement. It seems anecdotally that some devices play louder than others into these headphones, suggesting more of a software compatability rather than not enough output.

Remember there is an EU law that requires a acoustic limit on domestic headphones, and these are likely to adhere to that. iPhones sold in Europe had 1/3rd the output of elsewhere when they had headphone sockets for this reason. So maybe a European source may have a limit imposed (incorrectly) when a BT headphone is used.

However, it is extraordinarily easy to play headphones too loud, because they don't distort even when you are causing permanent damage. Please work out how loud you are playing music guys. It may already be too late, but damage is cumulative.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #493 of 2,078
Somebody posting in this thread that he contacting b&o and they replying saying maximum volume output for h95 is 100 dB.
85 dB is already dangerous level for the ears according to many scientific articles.

The majority of the people posting opinions and impressions in this thread and in YouTube (not sponsored videos) don’t complaining about volume.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #494 of 2,078
This discussion of loud enough is difficult to proove without measurement. It seems anecdotally that some devices play louder than others into these headphones, suggesting more of a software compatability rather than not enough output.

Remember there is an EU law that requires a acoustic limit on domestic headphones, and these are likely to adhere to that. iPhones sold in Europe had 1/3rd the output of elsewhere when they had headphone sockets for this reason. So maybe a European source may have a limit imposed (incorrectly) when a BT headphone is used.

However, it is extraordinarily easy to play headphones too loud, because they don't distort even when you are causing permanent damage. Please work out how loud you are playing music guys. It may already be too late, but damage is cumulative.

The EU regulation is only for portable audio players not for headphones / earphones. This we discussing in this thread already.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #495 of 2,078
Somebody posting in this thread that he contacting b&o and they replying saying maximum volume output for h95 is 100 dB.
85 dB is already dangerous level for the ears according to many scientific articles.

The majority of the people posting opinions and impressions in this thread and in YouTube (not sponsored videos) don’t complaining about volume.
Buddy, there are literally only a hand full of review videos on YouTube and I don't know how you judged whether they were sponsored in some way or not. This is why forums like this one exist, so that real users can exchange their opinions. You have been vehemently defending the volume issue since last month now, despite the fact that I am not the only person who complains about this. If I dint know any better I'd say you are sponsored. Just kidding.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-headphones-reviews-impressions.941031/page-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back