New balanced portable amp from RSA w/ DAC!
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #241 of 258
The clas in my setup is the old one, the new -r is cheaper than that was. The -r is 499$. According to David of Cypher the initial problems of the sq of the new -r has been fixed, and it should now sound as least as good as my old solo according to him. The -db is 699, but I dont consider it since I carry my setup with me and don't use the computer much as a source. If I do I use the Intruders dac. The clas does hammer that, so if you will use the computer much as the source the -db might be worth the difference in price. As for balancing the source, Ray says that one gets full balanced benefits on the output with single ended input, so I don't know if it's worth the cost. Never heard it myself, so I am only speculating on that.

To be perfectly honest, to my ears using the 334s that dont need much juice, the clas is the most important game changer in the setup, more so than the amp. (Different story with fullsize high impedance cans)However when given the nice signal from the clas the intruder performs perfect. The clas really makes the music come alive and to me it is worth every penny. With the 334 it is much easier to tell when the clas is there or not, than it is to tell the difference if the intruder is there or if it's straight out of the ipod.

I gather this tell us that the Intruder does well, amplifying without disturbing the sound. But **** in gives **** out. The clas changes this to bliss in bliss out.

Thanks for your quick review, sounds like I am going to put some $$$ aside for a clas. For me though I won't lug around the stacked amp and dac just too much gear for my taste. I want to build a firepower setup on my computer desk however I wanted a better dac than the intruder (no offense, it's a good one), a reference one which I want to plug into the balanced input of the intruder to finally connect my balanced iem cable. Now that sounds like I setup that won't get me out of my house lol. One last thing though I read that one needs to have at least a more recent iPod or other newer devices to take advantage of the clas USB input (USB Audio) so more gear to buy. It just never ends :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #242 of 258
Happy to assist. I felt just like you when I understood the importance of a dac and what damage it would cause my wallet.... However now I feel so happy I hurt that wallet! It provides a powerhouse of sweet sound.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #243 of 258
If you could finish your cable in both configurations then you can decide how to use your amp.

Hope it will make your decision easier however you are still going to be left with the evaluation of one over the other, usually a combination of subjectivity and great electronic wizardry. 

Thanks for the input.

My 5.0's came. Tried them single ended out with Magnus 1 cable from Heir Audio. Then tried them balanced out with the cable from Ray.

Subjectively, Balanced out rules. :) Intruder is king.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #244 of 258
Thanks for the input.

My 5.0's came. Tried them single ended out with Magnus 1 cable from Heir Audio. Then tried them balanced out with the cable from Ray.

Subjectively, Balanced out rules. :) Intruder is king.

Yeah my balanced cable is music made in heaven, Ray said it's like night and day, made for balanced output without a doubt. Thank you Ray! :clap:

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #245 of 258
Has anybody discussed music players that allow for the "Intruder" to bypass the player's internal DAC.  I missed it if it was already discussed...

May 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #247 of 258
Thanks kothganesh.

I have not heard the SR-71B, but I have noticed many users reporting that the upgraded SR-71B has quite similar signature to the sound of the Intruder. My upgrade to the Intruder was from the Continental V2 and on that upgrade I'm still very happy eventhough I miss those crystal clear mids of the V2. The Intruder makes me tap my foot more allround.

If you have a unupgraded SR-71B I know Ray is happy to upgrade it for you, I think it is only a matter of paying the postage. Sorry that I have not heard it.

May 31, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #249 of 258
Quote:
Ray posted on his Facebook page his new smaller fully balanced portable called the "Lightning".

Can you direct me to Ray's Facebook page?  Is it his personal one (seems to require friending him to see any posts)? 

I'm considering the 71B with new mods.  My main concern is whether some reports of sibilance or lispiness are (still) true.  

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #250 of 258
My best amp pairing with Tralucent 1+2

Source : AK 120
Amp : RSA The Intruder
Iem : Tralucent 1+2 with UBER cable in balance RSA
Cable : Ventura Craft LE mini to mini
Balance female RSA to mini DIY 8 braid solid core

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #251 of 258
Why would you use that balanced se adapter? Do you like the sq better single ended on this setup?

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #252 of 258
Well, the AK120 doesn't have balanced output, so maybe there would be no benefit?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #253 of 258
Well, the AK120 doesn't have balanced output, so maybe there would be no benefit?

The Intruder benefits well from se in to balanced out. This according to Ray himself and my ears, hence the question.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #254 of 258
Quote:
The Intruder benefits well from se in to balanced out. This according to Ray himself and my ears, hence the question.

Yes you are right, I also sampled both with a single ended input and the balanced out sounds better and stronger as opposed to single ended. Ray has also mentioned the difference as well and strongly suggested to opt for the balanced out if your iems are balanced terminated.

I have the same dyi plug as Rudi above but always used the balanced out.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #255 of 258
That is my dream setup, Rudi how good is that contraption sounding compared to any AK100 stock or modified? (with the RSA Intruder of course)
Quote:
My best amp pairing with Tralucent 1+2

Source : AK 120
Amp : RSA The Intruder
Iem : Tralucent 1+2 with UBER cable in balance RSA
Cable : Ventura Craft LE mini to mini
Balance female RSA to mini DIY 8 braid solid core

Users who are viewing this thread

Back