New balanced portable amp from RSA w/ DAC!
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #76 of 258
The RSA website says:  "The Intruder is designed to make you enjoy listening to your computer’s music files, in balanced when connected via a USB cable. By flipping the two toggle switches on the back panel toward the USB, you can digitally listen via the DAC built into the Intruder."  Is the 3.5 SE still active for listening when USB is selected?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #77 of 258
The RSA website says:  "The Intruder is designed to make you enjoy listening to your computer’s music files, in balanced when connected via a USB cable. By flipping the two toggle switches on the back panel toward the USB, you can digitally listen via the DAC built into the Intruder."  Is the 3.5 SE still active for listening when USB is selected?

From hearing Ray explain it at our Chicago mini meet, if you connect by the USB, no other inputs would be active.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #79 of 258
Quote:
In USB mode is the only active output the balanced one?

You can use USB either balanced or single ended but not balanced and single ended out at the same time.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #81 of 258
I am willing to built the best portable set-up with a DAC/AMp like this Intruder.

My options are :    Android Tablet,  MacBook Air, Windows Tablet PC.

- The Tablet factor is the most convenient, but ... not enough storage for 1000s of FLAC in an Android tablet :frowning2:((
- The MacBook Air (iTune + Amara) is proven for providing very good quality audio when outputed to an external DAC/AMP, but... clamshell form factor not so convenient.
and
- The Windows Tablet PC can have the good form factor AND the needed storage (500 Go), but... will a Window PC provide the same sound quality than a Mac when connected to a DAC/AMP ? 

So what do you thing ?  Can Windows match the audio quality of OSx ? 

What is the HIGHEST capacity available today in a Windows Tablet PC ? 

thanks

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #82 of 258
I am willing to built the best portable set-up with a DAC/AMp like this Intruder.

My options are :    Android Tablet,  MacBook Air, Windows Tablet PC.

- The Tablet factor is the most convenient, but ... not enough storage for 1000s of FLAC in an Android tablet :frowning2:((
- The MacBook Air (iTune + Amara) is proven for providing very good quality audio when outputed to an external DAC/AMP, but... clamshell form factor not so convenient.
and
- The Windows Tablet PC can have the good form factor AND the needed storage (500 Go), but... will a Window PC provide the same sound quality than a Mac when connected to a DAC/AMP ? 

So what do you thing ?  Can Windows match the audio quality of OSx ? 

What is the HIGHEST capacity available today in a Windows Tablet PC ? 

thanks

You might want to wait a bit, as windows 8 release is imminent and there will be tons of new touchscreen laptop ultrlbook tablet windows 8 machines coming out, with the surface coming from mircrosoft as a prime example. There will be ones from hp, samsung, acer, asus, lenovo, etc. You will have plenty to choose from. I use foobar with windows and it sounds wonderful to my ears.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #83 of 258
Quote:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when listening from an external DAC it will sound identical whether connected to a PC or Mac (because it is processing the sound, not the PC or Mac). Why would you think otherwise? 

You can circumvent the internal storage problem and use something like the GoFlex Satellite or Patriot Gauntlet Node, I used the GoFlex with the 16GB iPhone 4S I had earlier in the year so that I could have my whole collection available as FLACs. Many will find it too cumbersome a solution I'm sure, but I thought I would mention it on the off chance it appeals to you.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #84 of 258
Quote:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when listening from an external DAC it will sound identical whether connected to a PC or Mac (because it is processing the sound, not the PC or Mac). Why would you think otherwise? 

You can circumvent the internal storage problem and use something like the GoFlex Satellite or Patriot Gauntlet Node, I used the GoFlex with the 16GB iPhone 4S I had earlier in the year so that I could have my whole collection available as FLACs. Many will find it too cumbersome a solution I'm sure, but I thought I would mention it on the off chance it appeals to you.

Seems reasonable to me. I can use a 1 or 2 tb small hard drive hooked up to my Mac and use the Intruder off of the Mac. You have many 1000's of FLAC or even WAV at your disposal.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #85 of 258
Quote:
Seems reasonable to me. I can use a 1 or 2 tb small hard drive hooked up to my Mac and use the Intruder off of the Mac. You have many 1000's of FLAC or even WAV at your disposal.

Yeah, I liked it then and still sometimes use it with my Galaxy S3/Note 2.

My 'lunchtime at work rig'= GoFlex Satellite--> S3 --> USB audio out--> USB DAC/amp (presently using the HeadAmp Pico, but it only works with my US S3 and not my Note 2, hence why I've pre-ordered the Intruder)--> whichever headphones I feel like using from W3000ANV/Ed8/T5p. Don't really feel like I'm compromising on much with this set-up.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #86 of 258
Quote:

Yeah, I liked it then and still sometimes use it with my Galaxy S3/Note 2.

My 'lunchtime at work rig'= GoFlex Satellite--> S3 --> USB audio out--> USB DAC/amp (presently using the HeadAmp Pico, but it only works with my US S3 and not my Note 2, hence why I've pre-ordered the Intruder)--> whichever headphones I feel like using from W3000ANV/Ed8/T5p. Don't really feel like I'm compromising on much with this set-up.

Having used the 71b a lot and loving the sound, having the Intruder running from the USB and driving anything out there should be extremely fine. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #87 of 258
Quote:
Having used the 71b a lot and loving the sound, having the Intruder running from the USB and driving anything out there should be extremely fine. 

Yep, I expect big things from this small box!

Will be interesting to do a three-way comparison between the Intruder, my Pico, and the Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII I am also getting...

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #88 of 258
Quote:

Yessss.......  VERY VERY VERY INTERESTING this GoFlex Satellite or Patriot Gauntlet Node solution.   Thanks.........

GoFlex Satellite--> S3 --> USB audio out--> Intruder  seems a "dream" solution

But:

.... does those WiFi HD like teh Goflex  work even outside of a local Wifi Network (in the car for example) or do they need, like air-play, to be in a Wifi Environment ? 

.... Can the music library (under iTune for iPAD or another player with Android)  be split between the  Hansdet internal memory and the GoFlex Satelite ?  Or even better, can I have a "mini" music library in my 32Go phone when I am really on the go, and a bigger library (in the GoFlex) ? 

.... What is the most audiophile and best player under Android

.... Which one do you recomand between the  GoFlex and the Patriot ?

And finally, most important,

.... I have today my complete library organized in iTune with many many hours already spent organizing the playlists, and cleaning the metadata (titles, artiste, visuals), so,  is there a way to transfert all this work under an Android player, so that I do not need to create again all those playlists.

many thanks for this "eye opening" GoFlex  solution and for your advices

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #89 of 258
Quote:

.... does those WiFi HD like the Goflex  work even outside of a local Wifi Network (in the car for example) or do they need, like air-play, to be in a Wifi Environment ? 

The GoFlex and Patriot Node broadcast their own WiFi network, so there is no need to be in a WiFi environment.

.... Can the music library (under iTune for iPAD or another player with Android)  be split between the  Hansdet internal memory and the GoFlex Satelite ?  Or even better, can I have a "mini" music library in my 32Go phone when I am really on the go, and a bigger library (in the GoFlex) ? 

Yes. I use Bubble UPnP for playing off the GoFlex, so the library for the GoFlex is there and my regular music player PowerAMP indexes the locally stored stuff (64GB card, mostly full of music).

.... What is the most audiophile and best player under Android

Probably Neutron, however the UI is truly horrible. PowerAMP would be the other player people go to most.

.... Which one do you recomand between the  GoFlex and the Patriot ?

I've no experience with the Patriot. Nice thing about the Patriot is that it can take up to a 1TB drive, whereas the GoFlex is limited to 500GB. Software-wise the GoFlex is better I think, because it supports UPnP, so much bigger choice of apps to use with it.

And finally, most important,

.... I have today my complete library organized in iTune with many many hours already spent organizing the playlists, and cleaning the metadata (titles, artiste, visuals), so,  is there a way to transfert all this work under an Android player, so that I do not need to create again all those playlists.

No experience working with iTunes and Android, I believe there are several apps that are made for handling that like Doubletwist.

many thanks for this "eye opening" GoFlex  solution and for your advices

No problem, happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back