NEW Audio Technica Multiple BA IEM: ATH LS50,70,200,300,400
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #199 of 405
I tried the LS70 and 50 yesterday and thought they were too warm and bassy. The E40 was more punchy in the bass and had a bit more sparkle on top. The LS200 was brighter and less bassy, like the MSR7. Note that these are just brief impressions

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #202 of 405
I tried the LS70 and 50 yesterday and thought they were too warm and bassy. The E40 was more punchy in the bass and had a bit more sparkle on top. The LS200 was brighter and less bassy, like the MSR7. Note that these are just brief impressions

I'm currently using the E40 and love them. I was interested in the LS70 if they were an upgrade but seems not?

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #203 of 405
If you want more detailed highs stay with the E40. The LS70 has less sparkle in the highs - bass is quite similar, maybe a bit more forward in the lower midrange. The LS50 is similar but its midbass is more boomy. Both seemed to have lower-mid forwardness while the E40 emphasizes the upper mids and sounds more V-shaped, similar but not as extreme as the M50x. The soundstage seemed a bit smaller than the LS50/70 but not congested, and instrument separation seemed better as well. The LS70 in Taiwan costs 4000 which is about 170 CAD or 130 USD. Kinda disappointing as the IM70 was sold around 80 USD shortly after launch in Japan.

I got the 1More Triple Driver today but am still deciding whether I should also get an AT IEM, maybe the E40. I couldn't get a direct comparison but the 1More Triple Driver sounded more neutral with some bass emphasis. Somewhat similar to the Xiaomi Piston 3's tuning but less warm and considerably brighter (one of my biggest complaints was the treble rolloff in the P3's).

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #205 of 405
I'd gander it'd be more of a sidegrade rather than an upgrade, the two has different sound sig it all ends up on your personal taste.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #208 of 405

Could you elaborate more on comparing the Etymotic with the AT? What about soundstage and attack/transparency?

"Always trust an Ety guy"

Well, first of all I think that Ety are unique and there are no actual competitors to them not just among 1-2 driver BA IEMs but in general.)

I would not recommend to listen to ls200 right after the SR, let your brain forget a little bit how ety sound)
Otherwise they sound darker, bassy with the highs rolled off.  So SR sound more transparent, more resolving, more detailed with more highs, faster bass attack.
That was my first impression.
I waited for 1 day and tried the ls200 for the 2nd time. And that was the right thing to do.
I found them performing very well, very good soundstage which is wide enough, plenty of details, highs are well extended, bass is tight. 
And you can listen to them for many many hours without and fatigue.

SR to me is more analytical sounding reference but the ls200 is my on-the-go IEM.

Ety pair with my DAC/Amp only, LS200 pair mainly with my DAP but they sound even better with Vantam.

So they are different but I like both. I can listen to ls200 for 3-5 days without touching the ety sometimes.

But when you get back to ety you undertsand how perfect there are))

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #209 of 405
  Well, first of all I think that Ety are unique and there are no actual competitor to them not just among 1-2 driver BA IEMs but in general.)

I would not recommend to listen to ls200 right after the SR, let your brain forget a little bit how ety sound)
Otherwise they sound darker, bassy with the highs rolled off.  So SR sound more transparent, more resolving, more detailed with more highs, faster bass attack.
That was my first impression.
I waited for 1 day and tried the ls200 for the 2nd time. And that was the right thing to do.
I found them performing very well, very good soundstage which is wide enough, plenty of details, highs are well extended, bass is tight. 
And you can listen to them for many many hours without and fatigue.

SR to me is more analytical sounding reference but the ls200 is my on-the-go IEM.

Ety pair with my DAC/Amp only, LS200 pair mainly with my DAP but they sound even better with Vantam.

So they are different but I like both. I can listen to ls200 for 3-5 days without touching the ety sometimes.

But when you get back to ety you undertsand how perfect there are))

Just the answer I was hoping for :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #210 of 405
Hey guys. I went back and had another, more thorough listen and posted my full impressions on /r/headphones. I thought some of you might be interested so here they are:

PICTURE
Introduction: I recently had the chance to listen to the ATH-LS200 dual BA IEM for a few hours which was released in Japan at the end of last year. It is a replacement for the very popular ATH-IM02 and also uses a combination of a full-range and a high-frequency BA driver. The new LS200 now uses Sonion drivers instead of Knowles. Listening was done from my Oneplus 3 with Dragonfly Red using 320kbps or FLAC files.

Build Quality And Comfort: Pretty similar to the ATH-IM02. It uses a high quality, red, translucent housing, comes with detachable cables with build in memory earhook and terminates in a right angle plug.

The cable is supple and has good strain relief at the right-angle plug but it does lack some strain relief at the transition to the earhooks.

Comfort was great to me. I used it with medium-sized silicone tips and got a really good seal without any sharp edges poking my ear.

For comparison shots to the IM02 go here

Sound: The LS200 is an overall quite neutral IEM. The bass extends well, has good detail, is not loose and transitions well into the midrange. It lacks a bit of impact and texture for my tastes.

The midrange is the star of the show. Vocals are very natural, clear and a bit forward without being shouty. No sibilance as far as I can tell. Strings and pianos also sound good. There seems to be more presence as compared to the IM02.

The treble also extends quite high. It appears more even than the IM02. Detail is decent but it definitely isn't sparkly and could use a bit more air. It seems like a fairly safe and inoffensive tuning.

Soundstage is also improved from the IM02, gaining a bit in depth and imaging quality. These are not amazingly wide or 3D and they do have a bit of the Left, Center, Right staging. It definitely isn't a weakpoint though.

Measurements by crinacle

Measurements compared to IM02 by speakerphone

Comparisons: Compared to the Vsonic GR07 Classic, the LS200 is warmer with much more forward vocals and less treble. The Vsonic has a wider soundstage but I would say the LS200 images better. The Vsonic maybe has a touch more bass and better mid-bass punch (most likely due to being a dynamic driver IEM). The LS200 is clearly more detailed and sounds a lot smoother and more natural.

Listening to the LS200 and ATH-MSR7 side by side, I would also take the LS200s over them. Again they're much less bright and have more forward mids. The bass extension is better with the LS200s as well and they will be less fatiguing for most people. The less dipped presence region also gives them a more intimate, full bodied sound. The MSR7 has a wider soundstage and more air and sparkle so detail will be more apparent but they don't have more detail than the LS200.

The overall sound signature is reminiscent of the HD600 for me. The LS200 doesn't have the overall detail, clarity, texture and less impact in the mid-bass but beats the Sennheisers in bass extension and soundstage width, albeit slightly.

Conclusion: At the market price of $220-$250USD the ATH-LS200 presents a strong contender for those looking for a neutral sound signature with a focus on vocals. It is an apparent improvement over the already great IM02. If you already have IM02s, it may not be worth upgrading since it has an overall similar sound signature but if you love the IM02s and are wondering if you would like the LS200, I can confidently answer with a yes.

I liked these better than the Noble Trident, Westone W30 and Shure SE535.

Special shoutout to JM-Plus at MRT Gongguan in Taipei for letting me listen to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back