NEW Audio Technica Multiple BA IEM: ATH LS50,70,200,300,400
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #392 of 405
I hear the LS300 is unlike the IM03, its not the preferred one of the group, people seem to like the LS400 more.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #393 of 405
I recently bought the LS50iS from Amazon and found them to be very disappointing, not what I was expecting at all!

I did a quick review for anyone interested:

By "Live Sound" I was expecting a dynamic punchy sound, hearing all the various instruments etc, but what I found was a dull boring sound - which to my ears I can only liken to being at a gig stood to one side of the stage near the speakers where all you can hear is the rumble of the guitars and not much else. Treble was extremely lacking and vocals seemed distant and muffled. This was even after several hours, giving ample time for "burn in".

Although I liked how these IEMs looked, I found the fit to be very poor, even with the memory cable and trying each of the 3 different size eartips I was constantly having to readjust these or push them back into my ears.

I returned these IEMs and replaced them with the FiiO FH3s - not much more expensive than the ATH-LS50iS, a far better sound (punchy crisp/clear bass, excellent mids and trebles), plus the FH3s come with 3 different styles of eartips in 3 different sizes.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #394 of 405
I recently bought the LS50iS from Amazon and found them to be very disappointing, not what I was expecting at all!

I did a quick review for anyone interested:

By "Live Sound" I was expecting a dynamic punchy sound, hearing all the various instruments etc, but what I found was a dull boring sound - which to my ears I can only liken to being at a gig stood to one side of the stage near the speakers where all you can hear is the rumble of the guitars and not much else. Treble was extremely lacking and vocals seemed distant and muffled. This was even after several hours, giving ample time for "burn in".

Although I liked how these IEMs looked, I found the fit to be very poor, even with the memory cable and trying each of the 3 different size eartips I was constantly having to readjust these or push them back into my ears.

I returned these IEMs and replaced them with the FiiO FH3s - not much more expensive than the ATH-LS50iS, a far better sound (punchy crisp/clear bass, excellent mids and trebles), plus the FH3s come with 3 different styles of eartips in 3 different sizes.
Yeah the whole range is pretty lousy in terms of sound quality.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #395 of 405
I just won the LS200 and the LS300 for $60 and $30, respectively, from Ebay Auction. Possibly the best catch from an auction, ever. Both came in full boxed, complete accessories, and excellent condition. I wonder why the LS300 is so measly cheap and not well-known in the market.

In contrary to the negative views on the LS300, I actually love the LS300 the most. It has a strong, authoritative, and detailed bass, in conjunction with dark tonality and a touch sparkle of treble. The best bass I have heard from the BA-based earphone, and it never sound too boomy like most bass-heavy earphones. The mid of LS300 sounds fuller than the LS200, but the LS200 sounds better - neutral, lush, and flat. The LS200 mid is the central attention, and surprisingly, it doesn't sound forward nor thick like most mid-centric earphones. I tend to dislike a mid-centric earphone but the mid of LS200 is right on the spot and simply sounds beautiful. It reminds me of the mid of the Sony XBA-1, which I love. Both LS200 and LS300 are non-fatiguing, and they are definitely an upgrade to the previous IM, where the IM03 is too energetic and can be sibilant, and the IM02's mid is too aggressive and more forward. The IM01 is still the best IM series among all, though I would like to try how the E50 would compare.

1.png 20201119_190009.jpg

So I used a 3rd party blue cable from Ebay costing $9 because it is lighter and supple (like Westone's) , which I prefer over the stock ATH cable which is heavy, stiff, and I am never a big fan of ear loop. The blue cable enhances the quantity of both the lows and the high, particularly on the shimmery section which I am sensitive to. I settled the blue cable with the LS200 because it uncomfortable with the stock cable while the LS300 is just fine with the stock - possibly because the housing size difference contributes to this. Also the blue cable makes the LS200 sounds a little bright so I had to stuff a tiny foam into the nozzle to attenuate the treble. Now, the LS200 sounds somewhat V-shaped, fuller, with enhanced bass and controlled treble. Though I miss the neutral mid and non-fatiguing sound from the stock cable, the blue cable adds a slight flavor to the bland sound signature.

I use Sony hybrid tips on these earphones, played on Sansa Clip+, rockboxed.

EQ settings:
  • 32hz = +2.3 db
  • 64hz = +2.2 db
  • 125hz = +1.0 db
  • 250, 500, 1000 hz = 0.0
  • 2000 hz = -1.0 db
  • 4000 hz = -1.0 db
  • 8000 hz = - 0.5 db
  • 16,000 hz = +0.5 db

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #396 of 405
AT IEM series does feel a bit left behind these days, if I had the options I had back then like when tried a Demo on a chifi specialized store nowadays, I would have way more choices, and majority of them would be way better than SE215, MA750 or the IM50 I ended up picking back then.

still love my IM04 tho, it has the soundstage and instrument placement that's rare to find even at the price I picked it at back then. these even with current offerings are still competing quite well, Esp if AT house sound typing is what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #398 of 405
it might be a weird rec, but Sony WF Sp900, it has a single BA thats actually quite tuneable, its surprising how good i can make it sound despite me buying it simply for convenience and swimming use,.
it has way more basic TWS setup tho, ie it has basic transparencey mode, no anc, used Master-Slave system, so if you want to use only one side, you can, only if you used the L side. etc.
but itds a swimmable TWs up to 2m, 4gb internal for that use as Bluetooth cant penetrate water, okay-ish battery. and pretty isolating despite thelack of ANC.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #399 of 405
if I like the sounds from LS200 which wireless earbuds should I look into?

Faaeal Iris - 32ohms, have perfect beautiful timbre, female vocal is lovely sweet and have warmish romantic air around it, no need for foam to sound best

also cost only 4~5$ !!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #401 of 405
20211010_094100.jpg

ATH LS200 with Bifrost Reference Gold cable

"Goddess of Light with True best friend, Beautiful Sunlight Daydreaming" "Legend Class Euphonics Sweet Female Vocal"

totally 17/10 sounds

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #402 of 405
Hv been using ls400 and ls200 for a few years
Could fairly report that ls400 has a high standard requirement of player sources with high quality recording files
The standard cable also has to be replaced by silver cable the most recommended to boost ls400 potential

It takes some juice to drive it to good listening level. Unlike ls400, ls200 is easy to drive that doesn't require a variety of sources like good dap or amp, absent the need to replace the standard cable.
The sound of ls400 is much more solid, richer and heavier than ls200 with wider soundtage better low-end layering and separation and superior headroom.

However, you ll hv a hard time listening to ls400 with a poor set like mobile. Muddy, poor balance sound offered by "flagship" earphone .

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #403 of 405
So hv I been using LS400.. Smooth and rich sound.. Highs are quite tame! U need a good strong DAP /amp to make it sound goid. I gad the AT upgrade cable.. Finally after 4 years , the swivel connector wore out!
It is now retired from my IEM coliection

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #404 of 405
what is Shure KSE1500? what is Witch Girl 12?

I have one and only ATH LS200 with Bifrost Reference Gold Cable!! the Goddess of Light~

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #405 of 405
So hv I been using LS400.. Smooth and rich sound.. Highs are quite tame! U need a good strong DAP /amp to make it sound goid. I gad the AT upgrade cable.. Finally after 4 years , the swivel connector wore out!
It is now retired from my IEM coliection
So the A2DC failed? Discouraging, as I have a lot of gear with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back