NEW Audio Technica Multiple BA IEM: ATH LS50,70,200,300,400
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #137 of 405

I remember the E50 has a darker and more recessed mid range, bass is tighter at the LS200 iirc.

Sounds like an improvement over the e50. Thanks. This is what I expect from them. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #138 of 405
is it worth upgrading from im50 to the ls50? I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs that has nice vocals (esp for female vocals) 

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #140 of 405
I had a listen to the LS200 today and thought they were really quite good.

They were very comfortable to me and sealed well even though I didn't have the chance to swap through tips.

Sound signature seemed pretty neutral to me with slightly rolled off treble. Bass extends low but lacks some impact as do most BA IEMs.
The mids are what really impressed me. Quite natural and the mid-bass transitions well into them. 

Soundstage is fairly wide and pretty deep and imaging was good.

I will try them again tomorrow and compare them to Westones and Shures. I wish I had a Pinnacle P1 to compare them to as a similarly priced dynamic driver IEM.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #143 of 405
  I had a listen to the LS200 today and thought they were really quite good. They were very comfortable to me and sealed well even though I didn't have the chance to swap through tips. Sound signature seemed pretty neutral to me with slightly rolled off treble. Bass extends low but lacks some impact as do most BA IEMs. The mids are what really impressed me. Quite natural and the mid-bass transitions well into them. Soundstage is fairly wide and pretty deep and imaging was good. I will try them again tomorrow and compare them to Westones and Shures. I wish I had a Pinnacle P1 to compare them to as a similarly priced dynamic driver IEM.

I agree about the overall neutral-ish signature and natural mids, but disagree about the treble; I thought they were quite well-extended, subjectively.

Secondarily, from a design standpoint, the Sonion E25ST series tweeter in the LS200 is designed to extend to 18.5 kHz.

Also, it's not rolled off according to 711 (IEC 60318-4) measurements (from @speakerphone):

Versus the Pinnacle P1:

Versus the SE846:

Versus the IM02:

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #144 of 405
I thought the mid-treble was slightly recessed. Maybe roll-off is the wrong word.

I might be wrong though because I also tried more treble heavy headphones such as the ATH-MSR7 and the new ATH-SR9.

These are first impressions I will be back tomorrow to try them against other IEMs and maybe buy them.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #148 of 405
  Graphs are just graphs. I trust to my ears )

So do I, but it's important to know how to interpret all manner of measurements (not merely FR), as well as where ear simulators are accurate and what their limitations are (and there are many).

I was praising the presentation and tone of the LS200 long before I ever saw a graph of it; the measurements merely confirmed most of what I was hearing.

Measurements are merely one piece of the puzzle; I take into account the transducer design itself, and merge these findings with what I hear.

So a declaration that "graphs are just graphs" is far too simple a distillation of what I'm trying to convey.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #150 of 405
Just got a pair of LS300 as a last minute purchase from Yodobashi. I mainly use fullsize headphones (P7) for outdoor listening but lately have found they take up more space in my bag than I'd like. Went to the AT booth, put on the LS400 and LS300 to see if they fit. They did, but no money left for 400, so I went with 300. Didn't get to check out anything else since I didn't know IEMs that well.

Got 5 hours in now with my NW-WM1A in direct mode, no EQ, no amp, straight from the DAP. So far the sound is warm with heavy mid-bass emphasis, good midrange that brings vocals forward, and gentle treble with minimal sibilance. Which mostly goes against what I know about BA IEMs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back