NEW Audio Technica Multiple BA IEM: ATH LS50,70,200,300,400
Aug 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #256 of 405
^ agree that E70 would suit your needs better than the flatterLS200, though I personally still prefers the sound sig of my XBA A3 with its deep, dynamic bass, the E70 is quite a contender with tight seal isolation and extended Bass reach, one thing though i feel they are more closed off, has quite focused sound thus lacking in soundstage, on the upside I like how smooth they present music, despite still very much revealing all the details.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #257 of 405
I guess the IM series was a test model to see how certain things would work before making something more widely available. Over here in the Americas at least we only officially got the IM-02.

I'm centrally on my IM-70s as a daily and want to add to my collection. That LS200 id certainly in my price range and seems a safe bet reading through this. Then again, I don't like safe :beerchug: How does the LS 70 compare again to a filer-less IM-70? (definitely not going that route)

Then there's that E70 that is just staring me down

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #258 of 405
I just returned from Singapore last week where I compared the E70, IM04 and LS300 at Jaben Audio. Not having done my research beforehand, I didn't know the pedigree of the various IEMs, only that I wanted to try Audio-Technica after having made satisfying purchases of the M50x and MSR7 the previous year. My goal was to get a more neutral presentation than my go-to Westone W3 IEMs, while retaining the 3D soundstage space afforded by the W3s. To that end, I took the W3s to Jaben for side-by-side comparisons. First, Clair handed me the E70s. I found them pretty neutral with less bass and more HF extension than my W3s, but they were weak on 3D space. Perhaps it was the sub-optimal small silicone (not foam) ear tips on their nozzles--I had to audition by pressing them into my ears to get a good seal. Next, I tried the IM04s. I wanted the IM03s, but heard they were no longer being sold at Jaben. The IM04s had more lower end than the E70s, and perhaps a bit less HF extension, but still much better than my W3s. Most importantly, they had the 3D soundstage I crave. Next, the LS300s seemed to have a bloated bass compared to the IM04s, and perhaps had a tad bit less spaciousness. Just to ensure, I did a "quick" swap of the LS300s with the IM04s and verified the LS300s have a bit more bass oomph. Mids and HF of the IM04 and LS300s seemed similar in the busy/noisy floor environment during that 1 hour audition, with the IM04s seeming to be more detailed and spacious.

A few days later, I brought a pair of 1More Quads to the shop for comparison. Both the IM04 and LS300s blew the 1More Quads out of the water with respect to soundstage. I was able to work a great deal on the IM04s with Clair and walked out of the shop with them. Since that time, I've put about 20 hours of listening into them, the first 10 non critically on the plane (all with the included foam ear tip). I have to say, I'm impressed by their detail, sub bass, HF extension, and 3D soundstage. When tested against my "detail" recording of Marc Andre Hamelin playing Godowsky's Toccata in G-Flat Major, the fingernail clicks on the keys come through with just right emphasis. When comparing to my Shure SE846s, the IM04 sub bass carries almost the same authority. When comparing the soundstage of the SE846s to the IM04s on Shpongle's "Shpongle Falls," both convey properly the eerie atmosphere, with the IM04s doing a better job with the squeaking hinges, etc.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the IM04s. Based on the glowing reviews I've since read, I wish I had spent more time with the E70s, but they just didn't spark my interest during the initial audition. I've also read that from the IM series to the LS series, Audio Technica switched from Knowles drivers to Sonions. Apparently, my ears stuck with the Knowles they know so well :)

(I should also mention that I drove the IM04s with a sine wave function generator and verified they produced pitch for me down to 22Hz. When compared to the SE846s which went to about 24Hz, there was no "huffing" (turbulence) on the low frequency. Sometime in the next month, I plan a proper comparison of the IM04, 1More Quad, W3s, W4s, and SE846, assuming I don't get distracted.)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #259 of 405
I've just come back home from a little shopping trip.
I went out fully intent on buying the ATH-E40. I don't know if it was my Fiio X1 2nd Gen or the songs I listen to, but the E40 was distorted as hell in the mids. I did not like it at all.
Just for fun I decided to listen to the LS70is.
The second I put them on, I found them very, very warm and bassy. But the more I listened to it, I realised the bass was pretty controlled and the mids were not distorting. It wasn't muddy like I thought it was going to be. Treble wasn't bad at all. Pretty detailed and no nasty spikes.
I ended walking out with a new pair of LS70's.
Detail-wise, nowhere near as good as my M40X, but certainly a step above the IM70 (which I loved to bits).

I'm curious to hear what the'll sound like after some burn-in.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #262 of 405
Ive just received mine today, and I think by your description that is not the same LS400 I recieved.
Just a quick listen on my fav. tracks and where the hell all the details went, it sounds really weird.
On a Sony ZX2 compared to SE846
1. The chain - Fleetwood Mac ‎– Rumours (Japanese SACD)
The strings details were lost, all the studio presence was lost. It became a "meh" track
2. Lonestar - Norah Jones - Come away with me (SACD).
Is this really Norah Jones singing? o.O On SE846 I can hear all the articulation of the words and the vocal is rendered beautifully.

So far Im really disappointed :frowning2:
I have the perfect sensation of listening to some old AM radio
I had the exact same experience with the ATH-LS400is that I received a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if we got a bad batch or something. Every piece of mid- to high-end Audio-Technica headphone/earbud I've ever purchased has been quite good -- these were nothing like what I expected. I returned the ones I ordered... tempted to order another set to see if it was a fluke. The mids and lows of the set I had sounded quite good, but the high frequency range was very rolled off and sounded completely flat. There was none of the clarity and sparkle in the high end that I was expecting. My CKR10's needed a decent amount of burn in before they really sounded nice to me. Perhaps the LS400's are the same?

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #263 of 405
Are folk still happy with their E70s? Was thinking of trying a pair.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #266 of 405
Absolutely! Try on Amazon for 30 days if you don't like them you can return them. But you will love them! http://amzn.to/2ideOdW

Yes, you recommended them to me over on the V30 thread, when I was thinking about LS200iS and 400iS. I did a bit more reading about the E70 and now I can see what you suggested them. Definitely worth a shot - thanks.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #267 of 405

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #268 of 405
Yes, you recommended them to me over on the V30 thread, when I was thinking about LS200iS and 400iS. I did a bit more reading about the E70 and now I can see what you suggested them. Definitely worth a shot - thanks.
I'm sure you will absolutely love them with the v20/v30. Match made in heaven! Make sure you test with flac files or better and use the lg music app and uapp with the correct settings.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #269 of 405
Would you say the E70 cable needs an upgrade or is it good enough?

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #270 of 405
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back