New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Nov 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #31 of 215
  In terms of build, ESW9LTD is the same as ESW9 and features the same thin, flimsy cable but now with a L-shaped connector. The earcups are glazed with varnish so they actually looked pretty nice (and maybe easier to maintain), a pity that the Audio-Technica wording is on top and not underneath the varnish.

Listening with the ZX-1, the ESW9LTD has bigger sound stage than the ESW11LTD and sounds airier. The ESW11LTD sounds thicker and has a weightier bass. The ESW9LTD has slightly lighter bass but still has sufficient impact and extension. Treble is transparent and detailed. Vocal is slightly forward, clear and not as thick as on the ESW9 which makes female vocal sounds refreshing. The ESW9LTD has burnt-in for about 20+ hours and I will see if it will improve further :)

Thanks for your impressions Randius ! From my past listening experience with the esw10jpn, it has a much tighter more defined bass and overall clearer sound than the esw9.  I've read the esw11ltd has really heavy bass and sounds a bit laid back with relatively recessed mids compared with the esw9 or esw10jpn.  I was wondering how's the mids of the esw9ltd compared to the esw10jpn or esw11ltd?  Do you think the esw9ltd has the same level of bass refinement and clarity as the esw10jpn or would you say it's a step below it? 

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 215
Tell you, the esw11 is a lot clearer and less bass heavy than the es10. Coming from the es10 the esw11 is airy and open sounding. The esw10 though has less bass than 11s, probably due to the size constraints.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #33 of 215
I'm definitely putting my hat in the ring for this one. Always loved the ESW9s (on my 2nd pair, but seeing some build quality issues on them only less than 2 years of owning).

Thinking these will be my "home-only" pair and continue using my ESW9s out and about when I fix the jack (which seems like it has a loose wire inside),

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #36 of 215
The dollar is gaining against the yen, so maybe by the time ESW9LTDs are available for purchase, they will be a bit less.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #38 of 215
  Thanks for your impressions Randius ! From my past listening experience with the esw10jpn, it has a much tighter more defined bass and overall clearer sound than the esw9.  I've read the esw11ltd has really heavy bass and sounds a bit laid back with relatively recessed mids compared with the esw9 or esw10jpn.  I was wondering how's the mids of the esw9ltd compared to the esw10jpn or esw11ltd?  Do you think the esw9ltd has the same level of bass refinement and clarity as the esw10jpn or would you say it's a step below it? 

Unfortunately, I have not heard the ESW10JPN to comment on the differences between them. But the mid-range on ESW9LTD is forward, clear and actually a little on the cold side (but does not sound analytic / mechanical). Frankly speaking, I prefer the mid on ESW9LTD over ESW11LTD. In fact, I am kinda speechless about the ESW11LTD after listening to the ESW9LTD. But please note that the female vocal rendition on both the ESW9 and ESW9LTD is quite different, with the former sounding lush and thick and the latter, clear. If you have heard the AD1000, that may be a good gauge on how female vocal sounds like on ESW9LTD.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #39 of 215
Thanks for your impressions again. It really allow us to get a sense of how the esw9ltd may sound. From your description, it seems like the esw9ltd's mid sound very similar to the esw10jpn. The mids of the esw10jpn is clear and slightly forward and is not as lush or thick as the esw9. Unfortunately I havent' heard the AD1000 but I'm getting a good sense of how the esw9ltd would sound. I'm speculating that the esw9ltd may not have as tight or defined of a bass as the esw10jpn or esw9 but somewhere in between. From people's description of the ESW11LTD, it seems to me that Audio Technica voiced it to sound like a mini version of the ATH-L3000 and the mini version of the ATH-W3000anv is the esw10jpn.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #40 of 215

Unfortunately, I have not heard the ESW10JPN to comment on the differences between them. But the mid-range on ESW9LTD is forward, clear and actually a little on the cold side (but does not sound analytic / mechanical). Frankly speaking, I prefer the mid on ESW9LTD over ESW11LTD. In fact, I am kinda speechless about the ESW11LTD after listening to the ESW9LTD. But please note that the female vocal rendition on both the ESW9 and ESW9LTD is quite different, with the former sounding lush and thick and the latter, clear. If you have heard the AD1000, that may be a good gauge on how female vocal sounds like on ESW9LTD.

Your description of the ESW9LTD makes me think of my W1000X.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #41 of 215
If I enjoyed the ATH W3000anv a great deal, would the ESW10JPN be the right choice for me?  Someone in a previous thread said the ESW9LTD was closer to the 10JPN than the 11LTD.  If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #42 of 215
  If I enjoyed the ATH W3000anv a great deal, would the ESW10JPN be the right choice for me?  Someone in a previous thread said the ESW9LTD was closer to the 10JPN than the 11LTD.  If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. 

Yes, W3000ANVs and ESW10JPNs have quite a similar tonal balance, so you can enjoy both of them. (If you use the ESW11LTD within a certain time, you'll feel that the ESW10JPN and the W3000ANV are too bright, and vice versa, If you use one of them, ESW11LTD or ES10 will sound too bassy for you.)

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #44 of 215
The esw11 is way more balanced than the es10, not even the same league. The esw10jpn is less bass and crisper but detail is same for esw11 and Esw10jpn. I feel the esw11 ltd out performs the esw10jpn because of its size advantage although both are very good and each has its own sound sig within the AT house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back