[NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7)
Dec 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #541 of 822

Where did you audition it?  If it's in a store out of the box, the sound is night and day after burn in.

Nope, my friend has it & he bought used already. Also its size is pretty big, definitely not for my ears, had some troubles with the fit.
I wouldn't call CKR9 bassy at all. Bass is deep and amount is acceptable.
Will give it another try some day

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #542 of 822
Nope, my friend has it & he bought used already. Also its size is pretty big, definitely not for my ears, had some troubles with the fit.
I wouldn't call CKR9 bassy at all. Bass is deep and amount is acceptable.
Will give it another try some day

You might not want to hear it then. The fit definitely makes and breaks the sound, which is why you hear a lack of details and loose bass.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #543 of 822
Hi people, I'm tossing up between ATH-CKB70 and CKR7 and IM70, which have a better sound quality in general? I'm going to buy it in a couple of days, so any opinion would've been appreciated.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #545 of 822
I did a brief comparison of the Dunu DN-2000, Fidue A83, ATH CKR09 and ATH CKR10 here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/earwerkz-legend-r-vs-noble-k10-brief-review-and-19-others-including-customart-harmony-8-pro/75#post_11169116

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #546 of 822
Would just like to know which one would suit me better the CKR9 or the CKR10? I'm looking for a iem that is rich/warm (but not bass heavy or very dark/congested either because I do like good clarity and some brightness in the upper mids/treble as well and I don't like slow lingering bass) and has full/lush/forward sounding vocals with a bit of warmth as well so that it sounds intimate/close and also smooth as well as if your sitting right next to the singer. I also like nice airy vocals with a good soundstage as well. Also imaging, speed, timbre and realism is also very important to me.

I currently have the Sony Z1070 and the F887 but find my self using the F887 more due to portability but still prefer the sound of the Z because it's warmer, richer and more lush sounding so it sounds more emotional while the F has better clarity/resolution but it's too thin and analytical at times that makes it not as involving. So I'm looking for iem that pairs better with the F in order to sound closer to the Z's sound sig while still keeping the benefits that the F has.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #547 of 822
IMO the CKR9 and CKR10 might be too cold and hardened a sound for what you want. I would not describe the sound of any Audio-Technica product as "lush". Instead, I think your description lines up very nicely with the new XBA-A models; try those.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #548 of 822
This thread kind of slowed down huh?

I am currently using Brainwavz R3 for my out and about IEM. I enjoy the sound a lot, but the fit and cable are annoying me as time goes by.

From most of the impressions on here, the CKR9 is more balanced and has a bigger stage than the CKR10 (not to mention cheaper) so I am highly considering these. Are these a big step up to the R3?

I am also looking at the HiFiMAN RE-600, can anyone compare these to the CKR9/10?

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #549 of 822
Hello,
After reading this thread(many thx to all contributors!) , i have decided to go for the ckr series and took advantage of a ski trip to Hokkaido to buy them.
I managed to have a few hours in sapporo so that i could visit yodobashi and biccamera.
First disappointment, none have the ckr 9 ltd edition in demo.I tried both ckr 9 and ckr 10 and couldn't hear a real difference so decided to go for the 9.
Tips : do check the price on the shop website, the ckr 9 was around 17k jpy in both online shops but in bic it was displayed as 23k and the shop assistant wouldn't match the price. In Yodo it was displayed as 18.5k but he agreed to match. If you are a tourist and pay with a visa you get approx 15% off so final price was 15050jpy (approx 40% cheaper than hk where i live).

I have to admit i am a casual listener so my impression my not be the most accurate (currently using sony xba1 & xiaomi earphones). But i do sense that voices are nicer and clearer so so far(without burn in) i am very satisfied with my purchase.

Has any body tried to used the spiral dot jvc eartip with them?

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #550 of 822
Hi,

I'm about to buy a CKR7 but I'm wondering if there is a ventilation hole anywhere on the casing.
I just got rid of a newly bought JBL J22 because it sealed off 100% my ear canals. It increased pressure so much that my eardrums practically couldn't resonate sufficient enough. I believe this was because that little hole was so poorly placed on the casing. It was right next to the cable trunk, connecting to the housing.

Anyway, I'm looking for a dark sounding IEM with controlled bass, smooth highs, rich mid-lows and mids, and with a not too wide soundstage.
I listen mostly quality sounding house/bass music, drum and bass, techno, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #552 of 822
I just got myself the CKR 9 LTD
Sound is phenomenal as praised by many of the headfi members here  but wow... it's really stupidly big compared to my Yamaha EPH 100.
I mean sound wise, it's literally out of this world for IEMs of this price range. However.... did anyone forget to mention how heavy and big it is?

Anyways,
I'm surprised by the air-iness of this earphone. I think the CKR 9 LTD is pretty much a mini high-end headphone.
Still having mixed feelings about this though. As a college student, I'm a bit unsure of whether I should have spent this much money for these earphones when I already have the EPH 100 (which unfortunately at least in sound test... is completely dominated by CKR 9 LTD).

If anyone is up to having my CKR 9 LTD with JVC tips (which I had to buy over Ebay -.- ) just PM me. It's been used like literally 20 minutes...and now going back to EPH 100 xD
Ya, I know I shouldn't be advertising but like... I want to get rid of these already. I'm broke and I need my lunch money lol

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #553 of 822
  I just got myself the CKR 9 LTD
Sound is phenomenal as praised by many of the headfi members here  but wow... it's really stupidly big compared to my Yamaha EPH 100.
I mean sound wise, it's literally out of this world for IEMs of this price range. However.... did anyone forget to mention how heavy and big it is?

Nope. I did mention it in my review, one of the 'Cons' item:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/720461/review-of-audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ath-ckr10
"For an IEM at this size, straight-down wearing style is not very comfortable for walking, jogging, or other physical exercise. CKR9 and CKR10 with their relatively big size are more suitable for music listening while sitting and relaxing."

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #554 of 822
Hello,
After reading this thread(many thx to all contributors!) , i have decided to go for the ckr series and took advantage of a ski trip to Hokkaido to buy them.
I managed to have a few hours in sapporo so that i could visit yodobashi and biccamera.
First disappointment, none have the ckr 9 ltd edition in demo.I tried both ckr 9 and ckr 10 and couldn't hear a real difference so decided to go for the 9.
Tips : do check the price on the shop website, the ckr 9 was around 17k jpy in both online shops but in bic it was displayed as 23k and the shop assistant wouldn't match the price. In Yodo it was displayed as 18.5k but he agreed to match. If you are a tourist and pay with a visa you get approx 15% off so final price was 15050jpy (approx 40% cheaper than hk where i live).

I have to admit i am a casual listener so my impression my not be the most accurate (currently using sony xba1 & xiaomi earphones). But i do sense that voices are nicer and clearer so so far(without burn in) i am very satisfied with my purchase.

Has any body tried to used the spiral dot jvc eartip with them?

Same here, I just got back from Hokkaido two weeks ago and got a chance to go to Big Camera in Sapporo and the ckr 9 ltd was sold out, so I bought ckr 10 instead.
I do not remember what was the price list but I got 8% tax deduction + 5% discount for paid by Visa card. Which seems very reasonable to me already.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #555 of 822
Is there someone who had listening to CKR7? I want to buy it for complement of MSR7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back