[NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7)
Sep 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #527 of 822
Its the best bass quality I have ever heard from a universal IEM.

Even better than yours UE900?
normal_smile .gif

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #529 of 822
  Even better than yours UE900?
normal_smile%20.gif

Yes I do rate them ahead of my UE900s. Ckrs looks bulky and strange but trust me they fit very well and isolation is better than average.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #530 of 822
I just recently bought the ath-ckr7s off of Dannybai. I have to say these are very different from the ath-ckr5s, which btw did not turn out so great. As burn in set, I realized that they had a funny tuning due to the fact of an incredibly compressed sound. It was a very poorly vented iem, and an all around dissapointment, especially with compressed mids. The ckr7s take on a definite vs shape, very similair to the cks99s, having extremely similair mids. The bass on the ckr7s are a lot more controlled, and refined as they are quicker in comparisons to the cks99 and ckr5. They are definitely not as quick compared to something like the Etymotic Hf5, but these two are on two different levels in terms of what sound signature they were designed for. The soundstage, on the ckr7s out of the other 2 audio technica headphones, are by far the widest. The drums are just wow and has an incredible feel. Depth is above average.The cks99 does not have the upper range detail the ckr7s have and surprisingly the ckr7s do not reach as low, but the ckr7s are much better controlled. Overall detail and clarity is better on the ckr7s. The interesting thing is the tuning which i still can't recognize/ understand. It is a v shape, mids are not recessed but are there, but the bass does reach low but is kind of not over powering, but not as reaching or as emphasized as the highs are. They are not overly bright and  has no sibilance, but it is more of a v with the top part extending higher. The sub bass reaches, but not with the same level as the cks99, which loses out on the top part in comparison to the ckr7s. Overall, these have above average mids, controlled bass, slightly more emphasized highs with detailing, and great soundstage. One last note is that these are buttery smooth. Anyways these are my impressions of the ckr7s.

I will be trying other tips later, these are the stock tips that are soft, but narrow bore

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #531 of 822
  I just recently bought the ath-ckr7s off of Dannybai. I have to say these are very different from the ath-ckr5s, which btw did not turn out so great. As burn in set, I realized that they had a funny tuning due to the fact of an incredibly compressed sound. It was a very poorly vented iem, and an all around dissapointment, especially with compressed mids. The ckr7s take on a definite vs shape, very similair to the cks99s, having extremely similair mids. The bass on the ckr7s are a lot more controlled, and refined as they are quicker in comparisons to the cks99 and ckr5. They are definitely not as quick compared to something like the Etymotic Hf5, but these two are on two different levels in terms of what sound signature they were designed for. The soundstage, on the ckr7s out of the other 2 audio technica headphones, are by far the widest. The drums are just wow and has an incredible feel. Depth is above average.The cks99 does not have the upper range detail the ckr7s have and surprisingly the ckr7s do not reach as low, but the ckr7s are much better controlled. Overall detail and clarity is better on the ckr7s. The interesting thing is the tuning which i still can't recognize/ understand. It is a v shape, mids are not recessed but are there, but the bass does reach low but is kind of not over powering, but not as reaching or as emphasized as the highs are. They are not overly bright and  has no sibilance, but it is more of a v with the top part extending higher. The sub bass reaches, but not with the same level as the cks99, which loses out on the top part in comparison to the ckr7s. Overall, these have above average mids, controlled bass, slightly more emphasized highs with detailing, and great soundstage. One last note is that these are buttery smooth. Anyways these are my impressions of the ckr7s.

It seems that the ckr7s are impressing you. I'm sorry I did not provide you with the links of those reviews.

Since you said never mind, did that mean you decided to risk the purchase instead? I can improve your experience by providing you unbiased positive reviews that you asked from me. :) 

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #533 of 822
  That would be great thank you

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-In-Ear-Headphones-ATH-CKR7-Import/product-reviews/B00JFSFEEU/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000639378/#tab

use google translate and behold.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #535 of 822
Weighing in here since no-one has mentioned the budget CKR3.

I just got back from Japan and I picked up the CKR3 for about 21,000 yen, which is about $20. I wanted a cheap set of walk around headphones for my phone that had a bit of isolation. So far I'm really enjoying them! They are ridiculously comfortable, they're the smallest of the CKR so I picked them for their comfort and staying-in-my-ears factor. Their sound signature is probably the flattest of the series, with nice, round and accurate bass, good midrange but the high end is a lot less transparent to what I'm used to but it's still good. Overall they're super enjoyable and testing most all of the headphones in Yobadashi Camera, they were the best bang for buck under $50 for sure. Recommended if the price is right! I'm using them a lot and loving the enjoyable signature. Soundspace is not too bad, I guess if they had a bit more air in the high end, that would help. They're super dynamic and punchy, lots of nice energy.

So in a nutshell:

Bass - Deep and tight. Punchy and fun, not bloated at all. Just the right amount for me.
Midrange - Really good. Not super lush in the low end but great detail midrange and up.
Treble - A bit flat, not mega sparkley from about 10khz up, but not too bad either. I think this is the Audio Technica house sound.

Overall I really like them! To me they're like a mini M50 or something. Not as much clarity but just as much fun. They look pretty cool too! I have the blue ones. I like them for listening to EDM or podcasts on the train. Definitely swing above their price range!

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #536 of 822
As they say, better late than never!!!  I just got an exclusive info from Audio-Technica US, very soon they are going to carry CKR9 an CKR10!!!  Been told to keep checking: http://www.shopaudiotechnica.com/ - should be on-line very soon.

As you guys know, if you buy CKR9/CKR10 from Japan or unauthorized dealer, AT US will not honor 2yr warranty and you have to deal directly with a seller if problem arises.  So, just like with IM01/02/03/04 that finally being sold in US, CKR9/10 will follow the same footsteps.  Though, no luck for IM50/70.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, ATH-MSR7 going to be available in US as well early next year.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #537 of 822
  Weighing in here since no-one has mentioned the budget CKR3.

I've been wondering about the CKR3, and auditioned one demo unit twice (several months apart). I really want to like it because it's small, cute and comfortable, and the Japanese price is very attractive, even in the presence of incredibly hyped-up rivals like the Philips SHE9710.

Audio-Technica advertises the CKR3 to make you think they'd be "clear," as in somewhat trebly, but the demo unit I heard was really muffled. Japanese reviews on the net also fall into two camps, those who find it muffled and those who don't. I wonder if there's a whole batch of CKR3s out there that are all muffled.

Quite a few ATH products present as muffled out of the box and need at least a few hours to restore back to the sound they're designed to give. I wonder if this is also the case with the CKR3, but I haven't seen any mention of this. There's been no change to the demo unit I've auditioned twice, though I wonder if most people just don't audition cheaper models in that store.

So I'm still wondering if they aren't supposed to sound more like the CK323M, which is both super-trebly and super-bassy for its price.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #539 of 822
Auditioned CKR9 yesterday a bit. Thank goodness, I didn't order it before listening.
There is nothing much to say about it & I don't think there will be huge improvement with JVC tips. Even so, there wasn't VSonic GR07 for direct comparison, but from my memory, GR07 sounds better.
Bass is bloated and lacks tightness, the overal sound lacks "clearness".
By the chance, right next to CKR9 there was Hifiman RE-272. Audio-Technica was blown out of the water by RE-272 in terms of clarity, clearness, details. The latest has its own weaknesses though
So I guess there is nothing much left but stick to my ER4S
regular_smile .gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #540 of 822
  Auditioned CKR9 yesterday a bit. Thank goodness, I didn't order it before listening.
There is nothing much to say about it & I don't think there will be huge improvement with JVC tips. Even so, there wasn't VSonic GR07 for direct comparison, but from my memory, GR07 sounds better.
Bass is bloated and lacks tightness, the overal sound lacks "clearness".
By the chance, right next to CKR9 there was Hifiman RE-272. Audio-Technica was blown out of the water by RE-272 in terms of clarity, clearness, details. The latest has its own weaknesses though
So I guess there is nothing much left but stick to my ER4S
regular_smile .gif

Where did you audition it?  If it's in a store out of the box, the sound is night and day after burn in.  These are dynamic drivers, both CKR9 and CKR10 sound changes drastically after about 50hrs of burn in, including the bass tightening and settling down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back