New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Apr 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #737 of 958
u should let it burn in. My M50x sounds nothing like that. An u should remember that the M50x is relatively cheap

I like the M50X too, for the price.  It is a fun-sounding, dynamic, and very clear-sounding can,great with vocals.  I would have to say the bass is a bit north of neutral, but tends to be sub-bass and to my ears fairly well-controlled and doesn't bleed into the mids.  Mids seem about right to me, maybe a slight excess of mid-treble, but slight.  I would opt call the treble of the M50x particularly "smooth", which many people define as laid-back or rolled off - it tends a bit in the other direction, IMO.  I think  Sandsha2 is coming from a much different sound signature, and also coming from IEM's to closed dynamic  cans.  There's going to be a significant difference in sound.  And because we are used to, and presumably like, what we primarily listen to, often a new sound signature doesn't sound "right".  I doubt there will be a significant difference with burn-in, at least not of the magnitude that will make these acceptable to him.   

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #738 of 958
Speaking of IEMs, my M50x basically replaced $1000 Shure SE846 (I wanted a closed companion for my LCD-2), which I had for less than 3 months (and sold)... I don't care they're just a $150 can, they do the job and do it brilliantly... 

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #740 of 958
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #741 of 958
Open up the cans, remove the locking mechanism. Buy a compatible 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female jack it in, and start rolling cables haha. Currently, using mogami cables for it. Sounds brillant :p

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #743 of 958
May 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #745 of 958
I like the M50X too, for the price.  It is a fun-sounding, dynamic, and very clear-sounding can,great with vocals.  I would have to say the bass is a bit north of neutral, but tends to be sub-bass and to my ears fairly well-controlled and doesn't bleed into the mids.  Mids seem about right to me, maybe a slight excess of mid-treble, but slight.  I would opt call the treble of the M50x particularly "smooth", which many people define as laid-back or rolled off - it tends a bit in the other direction, IMO.  I think  Sandsha2 is coming from a much different sound signature, and also coming from IEM's to closed dynamic  cans.  There's going to be a significant difference in sound.  And because we are used to, and presumably like, what we primarily listen to, often a new sound signature doesn't sound "right".  I doubt there will be a significant difference with burn-in, at least not of the magnitude that will make these acceptable to him.   
i personally find vocals to be a problem on the M50x actually. The mids are slightly recessed, so female vocals and powerful deep male vocals lack fullness and sound nasally due to the forward treble. But u can still hear them. At least they are clear to a certain extent.

May 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #746 of 958
Just finished our first video review! Thought it might be interesting to the M50x loving crowd!

You can get the full text on our blog - http://sonarworks.com/2015/05/audio-technica_m50x_headphone_review/

May 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #747 of 958
I picked up a set of black m50x two weeks ago, they sound fantastic. I also have a pair of ad900x and the sound signature between the two is very different, but the one thing they have in common is extreme clarity and amazing build quality. I have seen different opinions on the vocals, but when the source is well mixed the vocals are absolutely wonderful. An amplifier isn't really "required" for these cans. They do sound really good without one, but they sound a bit better with my Magni II, instead of just the Xonar DX.

Overall these are my favorite closed over-ear headphones I have ever used.

These are the main albums I use to test new headphones;
Alice in Chains - MTV unplugged
Animals as Leaders - Weightless
Jay Z - MTV unplugged
Metallica - Master of Puppets (DCC 24k remaster)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

May 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #748 of 958
I picked up a set of black m50x two weeks ago, they sound fantastic. I also have a pair of ad900x and the sound signature between the two is very different, but the one thing they have in common is extreme clarity and amazing build quality. I have seen different opinions on the vocals, but when the source is well mixed the vocals are absolutely wonderful. An amplifier isn't really "required" for these cans. They do sound really good without one, but they sound a bit better with my Magni II, instead of just the Xonar DX.

Overall these are my favorite closed over-ear headphones I have ever used.

These are the main albums I use to test new headphones;
Alice in Chains - MTV unplugged
Animals as Leaders - Weightless
Jay Z - MTV unplugged
Metallica - Master of Puppets (DCC 24k remaster)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

+1 Well said. The ath-m50x's was my first headphone and I use them as my portable closed back headphone. I use a kindle with a fiio e12 and the ath-m50x sound great. My only complaint, I find the ear cups a bit warm, especially when I take late night strolls.

May 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #749 of 958
  Open up the cans, remove the locking mechanism. Buy a compatible 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female jack it in, and start rolling cables haha. Currently, using mogami cables for it. Sounds brillant :p

How is this done? I see you can unscrew the small pcd board, but couldn't see how to remove it or the locking tabs without damaging them.

May 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #750 of 958
  Now initially I wasn’t as excited about the M50x because the initial reviews suggested that it would not be that much different from the M50.
But recently Tyll over at Innerfidelity did a review of the M50X and he found with his measurements and his own listening that they have improved the sound.
Some of the tolerance, some of the actual technical aspects of the sound with the M50x.
wink_face.gif

I agree, the M50X sounds different than the M50. Slightly, but different. I actually prefer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back