New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #646 of 958
I actually meant normal wet wipes. I know that alcohol based ones will wear out the pads prematurely.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #648 of 958
  I don't recommend disinfecting wipes especially those that use alcohol which will dry out the leather. Regular wet wipes are better.

It's more a problem if you have the white version where stuff accumulates on the headband and is hard to clean up. I asked Audio-Technica Taiwan they said just use a wet wipe and that they can replace it for you if you send it in. Not sure if it's covered under warranty, but that's better than them saying you can't have it repaired (I recall seeing someone say they contacted AT who said they can't for the original M50 or M40, I'm not sure which one it was)

The earpads for the white one become more ridged and textured overtime and some stuff gets caught in the texturing. Probably just placebo but it seems the earcups get softer and more comfortable as well.

Pleather (protein leather, faux leather, whatever you want to call it) can dry out?

As long as there is no alcohol in the ingredients? I haven't used any disinfectants yet because I'm pretty skeptical about the pleather wearing out prematurely. What other ingredients in the disinfectants should I avoid?

Just rubbing alcohol, I think.  I don't think any disinfecting solutions will contain the other chemicals that are harmful to pleather like acetone, naphtha, and so forth.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #649 of 958
As long as there is no alcohol in the ingredients? I haven't used any disinfectants yet because I'm pretty skeptical about the pleather wearing out prematurely. What other ingredients in the disinfectants should I avoid?
As log as there is no alcohol u are fine. But also dont let water from wet wipes dry on the pads. It will also degrade the pads

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #654 of 958
Can you upload photos of the wear and tear please?

The leatherette stuff is starting flake off onto my fingers every once in a while when I take the headphone off of my head. It's starting to get pretty bad, and honestly, I expect fore the m to las t lest than a year from now. Probably a decently short six months until they finally start to be truthfully noticeable to others. I'm going to get different pads, but i'm not too sure because most of them are extremely expensive for what they are.

Here are two links to the photos.

http://i.gyazo.com/1789671be19e526322dd371fbfd9ebfd.jpg

http://i.gyazo.com/adee13b7f3db93dfa5d26b35f58d16c8.jpg

I'm responding to this in calss, if you want better photos, then just ask me. Peace.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #655 of 958
Get HM5 earpads from mp4nation instead.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #656 of 958
The leatherette stuff is starting flake off onto my fingers every once in a while when I take the headphone off of my head. It's starting to get pretty bad, and honestly, I expect fore the m to las t lest than a year from now. Probably a decently short six months until they finally start to be truthfully noticeable to others. I'm going to get different pads, but i'm not too sure because most of them are extremely expensive for what they are.

Here are two links to the photos.

http://i.gyazo.com/1789671be19e526322dd371fbfd9ebfd.jpg

http://i.gyazo.com/adee13b7f3db93dfa5d26b35f58d16c8.jpg

I'm responding to this in calss, if you want better photos, then just ask me. Peace.

Oh no, I'd hate for my headphones to end up like that. Do you do any cleaning with the pads?

Thanks for the reply.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #657 of 958
Oh no, I'd hate for my headphones to end up like that. Do you do any cleaning with the pads?

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, I haven't done any cleaning to the pads, if that's what you're asking. This is happening with normal use, so I may write something up to Audio Technica and maybe they can send me another pair because pads that were claimed to be improved and and much better should be looking like this during the first year.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #658 of 958
Nope, I haven't done any cleaning to the pads, if that's what you're asking. This is happening with normal use, so I may write something up to Audio Technica and maybe they can send me another pair because pads that were claimed to be improved and and much better should be looking like this during the first year.

Yeah, I hope they have good customer service.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #659 of 958
The pads audio technical uses for the M50x will definitely start to flake like that after a while. I had a few headphones from audio technical before which used the same leatherette and they started flaking after constant regular use for about one year.

Maybe u should just get the velour pads from Amazon. For those with the Limited edition blue one, there are also brown colour velour pads available.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #660 of 958
Oh and there is a new M70x. Looks like it has a lot beefier and cushier headband padding and with a metallic headband. There is also a hardcase and the same three cables which come with the M50x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back