New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Oct 1, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #541 of 958
  burn them in first, then make a better judgement

whether burn-in actually exists is debatable hahah. if he likes the pair of headphones, burn-in is definitely not going to make him dislike them bc everyone knows that 'burn-in' only improves the sound. =P

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #542 of 958
  whether burn-in actually exists is debatable hahah. if he likes the pair of headphones, burn-in is definitely not going to make him dislike them bc everyone knows that 'burn-in' only improves the sound. =P

Coming from car audio world, I can tell you for sure that a driver's Vas (compliance) can change significantly as it gets broken in. Brand new subwoofers can seem damn near rock solid out of the box, and become much more compliant as the suspension gets worked over...

How much that applies to 45mm headphone drivers, well...

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #543 of 958
At first I thought the bass is really in-your-face (not overpowering, just hits really hard, my jaw dropped on the first listen) and highs a tad sibilant. It eases off after burn-in but these are still a V-shaped signature. Soundstage is also a bit less congested now.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #544 of 958
Just in case anyone else finds them to be too "swively", I thought I'd share. I added some drag with two 3/8"x3/4" strips of post-it layered sticky-side down in each cap on the joints. Not super elegant, but it works.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #545 of 958
  Just in case anyone else finds them to be too "swively", I thought I'd share. I added some drag with two 3/8"x3/4" strips of post-it layered sticky-side down in each cap on the joints. Not super elegant, but it works.

did you find that the sound was less smooth with the treble a bit sharper after your mod? =P

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #548 of 958
Just ordered my White ATH-M50x yesterday, looking forward to getting them.
I have always loved Audio-Technicas design, their all headphones look really awesome so I'll finally be able to hear them now ! Audio-Technicas are really rare in my country which is a shame, they never sold A/D-700 here for example.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #549 of 958
I got myself a M50 non-coiled version recently. Needless to say, they're very uncomfortable. I want to coil my cable like the cable version, but that would require some twisting and heating (using a dryer), will that affects the sound or ever worse, damage the cable permently?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #552 of 958
  saw some kid wearing the m50x today on my way back from gym. I stopped and asked him where he got them since i've never seen a shop selling those here. I also asked him how much he paid for them and he said he bought them for R3000 (equivalent to $273). I was like What?? on the internet the price is $175 and he bought his for $273?? I mean sure the shop he bought them from had to add the import costs to the price but isnt a $100 markup on actual price a ripoff?

Did you ask him what shop it was? I doubt import fees could total up to $100 PER headphone, and I doubt most shops could survive with prices this high unless some other method is involved.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #553 of 958
I think he said the name of the shop is "Look & Listen". its an audio shop that sells audio and video equipment. I might as well forget about owning these headphones then because im not paying that much for them. I dont even have a credit card to purchase them online. But them again im quite pleased with the pair I have right now

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #555 of 958
  Did anybody buy their m50x from Amazing Deals Online through Amazon? Is this seller legit? I bought some on sale from them but I'm a little worried about their authenticity. 

I personally haven't bought anything from then, but here's their reputation link. 4.9 out of 5 stars seems legit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8
Here's more information on the seller.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&seller=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8#aag_legalInfo

When I bought it, I bought a bundle from Sonic Sense that had the Ath-M50x, a FiiO E6, and a rubber band. The bundle had a cloth wipe, but I got a rubber band, although I don't really mind. The same bundle now is being sold by Amazing Deals online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back