New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jun 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #454 of 958
I would think that M50x would become rather dark with HM5 pads?

The regular M50 somewhat does, those pads kill the nasty 10kHz peak to a good degree, so M50x might even end up with a frequency dip in that area?

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #455 of 958
Just confirmed over the weekend, the Sennheiser HD598 cables DO have the exact same plug as the m50x and fits well.  The thinner part of the plug for the HD598 is slightly longer than the m50x though, so from an aesthetic standpoint it's not ideal but if you need a replacement/upgrade cable urgently, the HD598 ones will work.  For now it seems nobody has any cables for m50x yet.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #457 of 958
yeah true. but the inline microphone for some cables actually affect sound quality, especially those based on variable resistors for volume. audio technica makes a lot of these for their iS products for non apple smartphones, and generally it is not quite good for fidelity.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #458 of 958
This was a concern of mine but when it comes down to it the sound quality isn't going to be top notch from most smart phones as it is.  When I'm on the go any only playing off my phone the added functionality is great.  If I'm listening for the quality of the music (usually at home and not on the go) I'll be pulling out the high quality cable and hooking it up to a high quality source.

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #459 of 958
lol my phone has a fiio e18 DAC and amp connected to it so i need high quality cables

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #460 of 958
  This was a concern of mine but when it comes down to it the sound quality isn't going to be top notch from most smart phones as it is.  When I'm on the go any only playing off my phone the added functionality is great.  If I'm listening for the quality of the music (usually at home and not on the go) I'll be pulling out the high quality cable and hooking it up to a high quality source.

Indeed, so no need to plug your headphone in with a crapshoot worse than what it comes with.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #464 of 958

yes they are interchangeable. i got mine from sound professional

I hope they are from the X specifically. Odd that this would be the only place that sells them. Thanks, though! Think I'm going to order them today.

I have another question: my headband is starting to peel on the bottom. What would be good to line the bottom of the headphone with to prevent this? I'd imagine either something like felt with very light adhesive, or maybe wrap the entire band with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back