New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #61 of 958

and the proprietary connector (bottom) as compared to the standard 3.5mm male connector (top):

i think the proprietary is a sub-mini 2.5mm male connector. i'm already sourcing the plugs so that i can start creating cables
wink_face.gif

i really didn't get the chance to listen to the bass on the LEs. i was listening to the mids and treble and totally forgot about them
confused_face.gif

That's one thing that I noticed. So, the cords provided are made by Audio Technica themselves? I looked around on Amazon for cables like that but I highly doubt they'll have them. You said you think that the proprietary is a 2.5mm? It also sucks that they got rid of the completely metal connectors from the standard M50.

I guess AT will make the cable for sell for a price. I'd expect like $15-$20

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 958

That's one thing that I noticed. So, the cords provided are made by Audio Technica themselves? I looked around on Amazon for cables like that but I highly doubt they'll have them. You said you think that the proprietary is a 2.5mm? It also sucks that they got rid of the completely metal connectors from the standard M50.

I guess AT will make the cable for sell for a price. I'd expect like $15-$20

yup, there's 3 cables included in the package, 1.2m straight, 3m straight and 1.2-3m coiled. all of them have the same plastic plug. i just mentioned that it's "proprietary" because it has a locking notch near the sleeve (if you look closely at the plastic plug, there's a padlock icon)...i believe that a 2.5mm stereo plug - heavily modified - can be used for DIY cable purposes. too bad i haven't had the change to scout for one yet.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #63 of 958
Im pretty sure they will sound the same. As much as i would like to get these, i think im going to wait until later this year on blk friday....the regular M50s were on sale for 100 bucks this past Blk Friday, So im pretty sure these new M50x will be cheap as well later this year...maybe 120

I've seen them for around $98 for 4 or 5 days back in June. Then up to around $118.

I'm going for the M50x in Blue. Those look freaking AMAZING!

That burnt orange color on the pads and headrest is my favorite color for a car interior.....any Audi or even Nissan guys will know what I'm talking about so this will fit me nicely.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #64 of 958
  i did a comparison with the shop's old m50 versus to the new set of m50x that they have and here are some of my impressions:

- the fit on the m50x seems to be a lot better, more snug fit and clamping force is just right
- was surprised how punchy the bass is on the m50x
- detachable cable is really a plus - i make my own cables and that's an area of opportunity to "tweak" it's sound. however, the connector to the cups is proprietary - may need to find suppliers first
- yes, it comes with a leather case - and 3 cables!
- to my ears, both the m50 and m50x sounds the same - but the store clerk keeps on mentioning that the m50x isn't fully burnt in yet.

i was eyeing the m50 for more than a year now, was only held back because i find the mids to be a bit recessed. but i still jumped the gun on the m50x the moment i heard/saw them. i was suppose to get the hd25s - good thing the store already carried the m50xs - they saved me a lot of money today!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nice!

Are the pads different?

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #66 of 958
(Long time lurker - thanks for the education guys)

These (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) will be my first "big time" headphones (I can't do in-ear as long as I used to) and I am very excited to get them in my hands.  I preordered them from Amazon (Prime member) with an expected delivery date of the 28th.  Well imagine my surprise when I got a shipping confirmation in my inbox at 3:17pm MST (28 min ago) - I have a tracking number as well and the scheduled arrival date of tomorrow!!!  I am super pumped because I am traveling to Houston Sunday - Wednesday so I get to try them out on my trip :)!!! 

Anyway just wondering if anyone else got the shipping confirmation or if it was a fluke and I got lucky?

Nate

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #67 of 958
  (Long time lurker - thanks for the education guys)

These (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) will be my first "big time" headphones (I can't do in-ear as long as I used to) and I am very excited to get them in my hands.  I preordered them from Amazon (Prime member) with an expected delivery date of the 28th.  Well imagine my surprise when I got a shipping confirmation in my inbox at 3:17pm MST (28 min ago) - I have a tracking number as well and the scheduled arrival date of tomorrow!!!  I am super pumped because I am traveling to Houston Sunday - Wednesday so I get to try them out on my trip :)!!! 

Anyway just wondering if anyone else got the shipping confirmation or if it was a fluke and I got lucky?

Nate

I pre-ordered mine from Guitar Center (authorized seller) but they aren't going to be available until the 17th according to their website. Maybe you did get lucky :)

When did you pre-order them?

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #71 of 958
 It also sucks that they got rid of the completely metal connectors from the standard M50.

Couldn't agree more, if I do ever get these I'll miss the full metal connector from the M50's(gives it more of a premium feel to me at least).  I also wonder about the durability of that plug on the headphones, not that I'd be changing cables out often, but the smaller things get the less durable they are(generally a 6.3mm plug can take more plugging, and unplugging than a 3.5mm plug).

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #75 of 958
Yes I got the black ones. I can't upload photos here yet (too new) but I uploaded a few on amazon. So it you go there you will see my photo :)

The sound is light years ahead of any of my previous crqp phones. I never knew what I was missing. I am re discovering my music collection even though 90% of the time I am an audiobook guy (and btw my audiobooks sound fantastic-er - I feel like I am in the recording booth with the narrator).

Anyway, where was I.... Oh yeah these things are great! (Take that with a grain if salt though I am a budding audiophile and don't have the discerning ear yet). And to think I was considering some noise canceling headphones :frowning2: I could hear my tunes at the same level just fine when my wife was vacuuming - the isolation is fine and I really don't think I will need noise canceling cans for traveling. I will update after I have some travel time under my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back