New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #92 of 958
compared to the old M50s, sound wise, how much different are they? i want to get the originial ones since they are selling some like new for 100 bucks which is a deal honestly, althoug  i would prefer the new m50x for the detachable cable...

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #94 of 958
So, are the "improved pads" really any better?(anyone who owns the old M50's and got the X's)  Looks like they could be a bit thicker in padding, but I'm more curious about how durable they feel.  My M50's pads are just starting to crack in some areas, mostly where it's not in contact with my skin, but might be more stress(where it's cracked) if that makes sense.  I'll admit I'm surely partly at fault for not taking the best care of them, but they're definitely durable for pleather(had them for about 2 years).  Probably the biggest problem I have is the headband on my M50's as it's cracked a lot more(feels more thin), and unlike the ear pads it can't be replaced, though it could be modded with some sort of cover.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #95 of 958
  So, are the "improved pads" really any better?(anyone who owns the old M50's and got the X's)  Looks like they could be a bit thicker in padding, but I'm more curious about how durable they feel.  My M50's pads are just starting to crack in some areas, mostly where it's not in contact with my skin, but might be more stress(where it's cracked) if that makes sense.  I'll admit I'm surely partly at fault for not taking the best care of them, but they're definitely durable for pleather(had them for about 2 years).  Probably the biggest problem I have is the headband on my M50's as it's cracked a lot more(feels more thin), and unlike the ear pads it can't be replaced, though it could be modded with some sort of cover.

That cracked headband is a little worrying. Do you think you could take some pics of it? Do you think it's due to stress or sweating? Is it on the belly or top? Is it purely cosmetic or does it jeopardize the integrity of the headband structure?

Back to the earpads, does anyone know if the M50x earpads fit the M50? I imagine they would, which pretty much renders it as a factor for upgrading moot as one could hopefully just to buy them separately like the Beyerdynamic  EDT 250s.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #96 of 958

That cracked headband is a little worrying. Do you think you could take some pics of it? Do you think it's due to stress or sweating? Is it on the belly or top? Is it purely cosmetic or does it jeopardize the integrity of the headband structure?

Back to the earpads, does anyone know if the M50x earpads fit the M50? I imagine they would, which pretty much renders it as a factor for upgrading moot as one could hopefully just to buy them separately like the Beyerdynamic  EDT 250s.

I can't take a picture a the moment, but so far it's purely cosmetic.  By that I mean that it's just the pleather cracking/pealing, but over time I'm sure that will give way and allow padding to come out or something like that.  Didn't mean to make anyone think that any piece of the headband itself was cracked and creating structural issues(as far as I can tell it's very sturdy, just pleather sucks as it degrades).  I don't think it's sweat either, maybe oils from hair though.

As for the pads, I'm sure they should fit fine.  I don't have the M50X obviously, but as far as I've heard it's supposed to be the same sonically just detachable cable and new pads...and as far as I can tell from looks beyond adding the bulky plug, the housing looks the same.  All speculation though so take it with a grain of salt.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #101 of 958
I didnt go with the M50x this time around, might buy them when they go cheaper on Black Friday. I just bought the old M50 with coiled cable, going to use them on the go most of the time. Cant wait to get them, got them cheap too for 112 bucks :) NEW

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #103 of 958
  I didnt go with the M50x this time around, might buy them when they go cheaper on Black Friday. I just bought the old M50 with coiled cable, going to use them on the go most of the time. Cant wait to get them, got them cheap too for 112 bucks :) NEW

great price! good buy indeed, just hate the fixed cable though and coiled cable version is better than the straight (too much cable to wrap in a rubber band)

but coiled cable is heavy on one side too =( why didn't they make it shorter from the beginning!!! and add an extension cable inside, best of both worlds

but the new ones address that issue soo its all good!

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #104 of 958
  great price! good buy indeed, just hate the fixed cable though and coiled cable version is better than the straight (too much cable to wrap in a rubber band)

but coiled cable is heavy on one side too =( why didn't they make it shorter from the beginning!!! and add an extension cable inside, best of both worlds

but the new ones address that issue soo its all good!

Yeah, Im a bit concerned about the coild cable leaning more on one side...but then again, im only using it for portable use, the straight cable would have been to much. Im pretty sure that having the coild cable stretched out from time to time, will eventually loosen it up a bit, of course I wouldnt pull it straight from the headphones, which can and might damage the port. The new M50x would have been a nice headset.

Well, here is to waiting until Black Friday later this year lol, then i will get them.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #105 of 958
A warning to anyone still waiting on a set they have ordered, I had the LE blue ordered from Amazon. They were supposed to ship out 2/28, but today I noticed they got pushed back until 3/19. I cancelled the order, and went for the regular black ones instead. I really wanted the blue ones because they look so nice, but not enough to wait an extra month. These are going to be my first good pair of closed headphones 
beyersmile.png
, and I could not be more excited for them to arrive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back