New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #226 of 958
Hi...

Has anyone done a headband comfort mod for the M50x's/M50's?  I recently bought a pair of the M50x's and I'm satisfied/ impressed with the sound quality but find the headband becomes uncomfortable with regular use.

With other headphones, on-ear designs for example, I often wear the headband angled towards the back of my head on the domed part of the skull where the weight seems to distribute more comfortably.  On the M50x's, as the cups are oval shaped and fit over the ear (this aspect is very comfortable by the way), the positioning of the headband is very restricted with little scope for relieving discomfort.  Coupled with this the cans are relatively heavy and overall the padding inside the headband isn't substantial enough.

If you look up "Comfort mod: HD650 headband padding on the Pro 900" here in the forums you will see one example for modifying a headband.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900

Due to the way the headband is constructed on the M50x's the inner pad integrates with the top side and is stitched together into one piece of padding.  So I don't think the inner pad can be prised out and replaced, unlike in the example above.  It seems the only option is to leave the original pad intact and attach additional padding on top of it, like one of the Sennheiser pads, for HD650 part #088597 or HD600 #549375.  I phoned up to get measurements for the HD650 pad: it is 185mm x 25mm.  The HD600 pad comes in a sealed pack so I couldn't get the measurements verified but broadly similar to the HD650 pad apparently.  I measure the inner pad on the M50x's at about 170mm x 30mm.

I reckon I might try the comfort mod with the HD650 padding, I'll just have to stick the velcro directly onto the stock pad... hope it looks ok.  What do you think?  Any other options I should consider?

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #227 of 958
I dunno. I can wear headphones without padding for hours. 2 to 3 at least. Padding, of course, feels nice and is welcome if the headphones have them.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #229 of 958

Hey bud, were you ever able to hook up the Boom mic to that setup?

Yes.  All inline mics work perfectly now, including my v-moda one button mic cable and the Boom Pro.  Took about five minutes to carefully drill out the locking plastic nubs inside the socket and then the adapter fit with no further modifications.  I hot glued the adapter in, because I don't anticipate wanting to use non-locking 2.5mm cables with the headphones any more.  I modified all the included cables to 3.5 mm connectors and various lengths.  Only thing to be very careful about is getting debris in the 2.5mm socket while drilling.  I suggest frequently removing the 1/4" drill bit, while removing the locking nubs, to allow the debris to fall out rather than get pushed in the socket.  I also recommend holding the headphone up so you can drill up into the socket and let gravity help the debris fall out.  Working perfectly.  Highly recommended.  Far more useful to me now for Skype, Xbox One, PS4, and web conferencing in addition to the music and movies I originally bought them for.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #230 of 958
  Yes.  All inline mics work perfectly now, including my v-moda one button mic cable and the Boom Pro.  Took about five minutes to carefully drill out the locking plastic nubs inside the socket and then the adapter fit with no further modifications.  I hot glued the adapter in, because I don't anticipate wanting to use non-locking 2.5mm cables with the headphones any more.  I modified all the included cables to 3.5 mm connectors and various lengths.  Only thing to be very careful about is getting debris in the 2.5mm socket while drilling.  I suggest frequently removing the 1/4" drill bit, while removing the locking nubs, to allow the debris to fall out rather than get pushed in the socket.  I also recommend holding the headphone up so you can drill up into the socket and let gravity help the debris fall out.  Working perfectly.  Highly recommended.  Far more useful to me now for Skype, Xbox One, PS4, and web conferencing in addition to the music and movies I originally bought them for.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. 

These detachable cables are awesome, but the psuedo-proprietary garbage due to the locking cable kind of defeats the purpose to swap out with ease. I get why you'd want a locking cable, but I'd prefer the ease to swap out, or at least the option for an adapter. There is a gap in the market here.

Just currently, I own the Shure 750DJ, The M50x and soon to be Momentum over-ear, and all of them have the 2.5mm locking to 3.5mm.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #231 of 958

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

These detachable cables are awesome, but the psuedo-proprietary garbage due to the locking cable kind of defeats the purpose to swap out with ease. I get why you'd want a locking cable, but I'd prefer the ease to swap out, or at least the option for an adapter. There is a gap in the market here.

Just currently, I own the Shure 750DJ, The M50x and soon to be Momentum over-ear, and all of them have the 2.5mm locking to 3.5mm.

Happy to help.

Completely agree.  I really think that Audio Technica needs to make a simple, locking, 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that lets you keep the locking mechanism intact.  I would have gladly bought two for $15 each.  Instead, they kept referring me to their ugly, not what I wanted, gaming headphones, with non-detachable boom mic and excessively long, non-detachable cables.  They are going to have replacement cables available for purchase in May, but that solves nothing.  Very few people are going to need more cables than the three that were provided with the headphones, which was generous of them.  However, lots of people are going to want to do different things with the headphones, like use their own cables and mics.  How much effort would it take, really, for them to terminate their locking 2.5 mm proprietary adapter with a 3.5 female jack?  One call to their cable supplier and it could be done in a month, I bet.  Not to mention the money they could make from the effort.  IMO they are missing an opportunity here.  Kudos to AT for making an outstanding sounding set of headphones, though.  I love them.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #232 of 958
Yeah, the headphones are great and the headphone is great but the proprietary isn't for me. I wish I could do what you've done to your headphones and add a 3.5mm but I'm kind-of ham fisted when it comes to those kinds of DIY jobs.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #233 of 958
Yeah, the headphones are great and the headphone is great but the proprietary isn't for me. I wish I could do what you've done to your headphones and add a 3.5mm but I'm kind-of ham fisted when it comes to those kinds of DIY jobs.

Gotcha. Well, maybe Audio Technica will read this and get the hint. I guess we can only hope.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #235 of 958
Hi guys!
After reading some reviews about this headphones (and its predecessor) i fall in love with these headphones and i'd like to buy this! I have two questions:
1) How is the portability? I noticed that probably also if they are over-the-ear the are good because the cable is detachable and we can "close" the headphones and then we can put them in its bag
2) Where can i buy? I'm from Italy and i checked on some sites and they are expensive...do you know a site with good prices and a good policy for international shipping?

However i will buy the headphones in the next month then i can wait!

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #236 of 958
I'm not too sure. 

I don't know if you check Amazon but they could probably deliver. 

http://www.amazon.it/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-ATH-M50X-Cuffie-tradizionali/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398526419&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+ATH+m50x

I don't know the U.S $ to EURO rate but I think that's like $200+ ? You can get them in the U.S for $170.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #237 of 958
Well of course i have looked yet at Amazon.it...however 170$ are less of 170 € (that is the price from Amazon.it) but i think that with international shipping it will be the same price...i was asking only because i thought that there was a site were it was possibile to buy for a cheapest price (i'm not in the audio field then i didn't know if there are some sites where you can buy for cheap)...however thanks! And what you can tell me about the portability of the headphones (i asked this in my original post! :D ) 

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #238 of 958
I don't know of any online stores that have the 'cheapest' price and ships to European countries. Your best bet to me would be Amazon, and their hassle free shipping and policies. The portability is good. You know, the cups swivel and they can fold in making the headphones more compact. I take everywhere with me whether it's a flight, bike ride, drive, ect. They come with that pouch so you can just toss them in there with an iPod and go. I love the M50x.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #239 of 958
Thanks! This was my main doubt, because i have a pair of cheap Sony of 10 € and i need to step up! I really fall in love with this headphones, i read that they have clear sound and amazing bass this is what i want to hear! I will use only on a bus, train and many more...i can't wait to have the money for buying the headphones! Thanks for help!

May 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #240 of 958
Staples deal of the day has "Audio-Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable" for $110 until Tuesday May 6, 2014. It does not give the model number. However, the description matches that for ATH-M50x. There is only one image. If enlarged it show ATH-M50x on the black and ATH-M50 on the white. I ordered the black. However, do not know which one I am getting, and will not know until after the deal expiration. Either way, it should be a good deal (I think).

http://www.staples.com/Audio-Technica-Professional-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-with-Coiled-Cable/product_SS2747809

Users who are viewing this thread

Back