New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #5,806 of 11,282
Hello guys
I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal with Audinirvana from my PC to my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo to my DI-20 and then to my R8 DAC (with R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware) connected with AES /EBU cable.

I havent done many test, but I always liked, on my R8 DAC, the NOS modes over the OS ones.

On the other hand, some reviewers and the people from Audinirvana recomend software oversampling to help the internal filter operations of the DAC.

For the Audio-gd products owners, what are your listening experiences on this subject and wich setting (software and hardware) do you prefer the most and why?

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #5,807 of 11,282
Hello guys
I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal with Audinirvana from my PC to my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo to my DI-20 and then to my R8 DAC (with R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware) connected with AES /EBU cable.

I havent done many test, but I always liked, on my R8 DAC, the NOS modes over the OS ones.

On the other hand, some reviewers and the people from Audinirvana recomend software oversampling to help the internal filter operations of the DAC.

For the Audio-gd products owners, what are your listening experiences on this subject and wich setting (software and hardware) do you prefer the most and why?

I've got a 2TB ssd attached to a rpi 3b, both the pi and the ssd are powered by the allo shanti linear power supply, I have picoreplayer running on the pi and the pi's i2s signal goes to a kali reclocker which then gets sent to my R8 running Parallel_DOP, I prefer NOS, it just sounds more organic.

As a side note, I recently did an experiment, I down sampled some high res files to 44.1 and did an A/B comparison with the originals, and I couldn't tell any difference between them, so now I've down sampled all my high res file to 44.1, and as an added benefit I no longer get the occasional small pop when changing to a different sample rate.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #5,808 of 11,282
Hello guys

OS modes will be more neutral, faster and more genre agnostic. Also it depends on what you prefer and your circumstances, 4X OS capped at 192khz measures best in my room and is what I prefer.

I leave the DAC on NOS and perform 4X oversampling via software, as long as you're not getting dropouts your PC will do a far better job with oversampling than your DAC.

Edit: as for why, the algorithm for oversampling is essentially invoking an infinity function when calculating amplitudes. The CPU in your PC will have more grunt than the FPGA in your DAC to get a more accurate result.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5,809 of 11,282
Hi guys
I have a question.
I thinking about a big upgrade!
Either a chord hugo tt2 plus mscaler or a R-7HE in combination with a HE-9.
Has anyone listend to both?
I have only heard the chord combo and I can't find anywhere to try the audio gd combo

Maybe someone can make a recommendation!

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #5,810 of 11,282
Hi guys
I have a question.
I thinking about a big upgrade!
Either a chord hugo tt2 plus mscaler or a R-7HE in combination with a HE-9.
Has anyone listend to both?
I have only heard the chord combo and I can't find anywhere to try the audio gd combo

Maybe someone can make a recommendation!

If you had said the Chord DAVE vs R7HE, I would've said the R7HE easily, it's several leagues above the DAVE. But I've never listened with a mscaler which I heard makes Chord products many time better.

Perhaps try to get some comparisons on the TT2+Mscaler vs standalone DAVE.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #5,811 of 11,282
If you had said the Chord DAVE vs R7HE, I would've said the R7HE easily, it's several leagues above the DAVE. But I've never listened with a mscaler which I heard makes Chord products many time better.

Perhaps try to get some comparisons on the TT2+Mscaler vs standalone DAVE.
I have listened to the Dave. The store with the hugott2 has one of those as well. But to my ears it sounded harsh in comparison to the tt even without the mscal. But you saying that the R7HE is better than the Dave brings me a little closer to my goal. Thanks

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #5,813 of 11,282
I have heard the Dave + BluMscaler as well as the Hugo2 TT + Mscaler. Listening to them extensively led me to buy the AGD R7HE :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #5,814 of 11,282
I have heard the Dave + BluMscaler as well as the Hugo2 TT + Mscaler. Listening to them extensively led me to buy the AGD R7HE :)

can you explain why?
Im beginning to think audio gd is the better option.
Im using Meze Empyreans for my listening.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #5,816 of 11,282
I realize for long time that when switching from PCM to DSD or vice versa, it takes time to warm up to sound good again and usually I think it takes maybe 1-2 hrs the most. But lately I feel if I play PCM continuously for 2-3 days it sounds really good and vice versa when I play DSD continuously for few days. I am not sure if it is my ears getting used to the format's sound characteristics or this is a real electronic phenomenon as the circuits at really warmed up after few days. (Or lat least 24 hrs or so). This might explain why I often find PCM inadequate after listening to DSD, even after few hrs of PCM, as it may take 1- 2 days to warm up PCM circuits again!?

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #5,817 of 11,282
I've got a 2TB ssd attached to a rpi 3b, both the pi and the ssd are powered by the allo shanti linear power supply, I have picoreplayer running on the pi and the pi's i2s signal goes to a kali reclocker which then gets sent to my R8 running Parallel_DOP, I prefer NOS, it just sounds more organic.

As a side note, I recently did an experiment, I down sampled some high res files to 44.1 and did an A/B comparison with the originals, and I couldn't tell any difference between them, so now I've down sampled all my high res file to 44.1, and as an added benefit I no longer get the occasional small pop when changing to a different sample rate.

I have a DI-20HE, R7-HE and HE-9 to Susvara and Abyss TC setup which is the most transparent setup I ever heard and I am very hard pressed to tell the difference between AAC256 (Apple Music) and uncompressed cd quality. I have done multiple comparisons with several songs on several cd's non-compressed and compressed- and to my ears the difference is hairsplitting at most.

I think these algorithm's used in compressing the music files are incredible. So So little detail is lost and most of the extra noise which is added must be outside of my hearing spectrum as I truly can barely barely tell the difference.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #5,818 of 11,282
I have a similar experience with different hi-res or MQA formats vs 44.1 kHz.

I've found MUCH more important another changes like AC filtering, upgrading gear or cables, more than formats. I'm not saying there are not differences, but I found them very small, almost undetactable.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #5,819 of 11,282
I have a similar experience with different hi-res or MQA formats vs 44.1 kHz.

I've found MUCH more important another changes like AC filtering, upgrading gear or cables, more than formats. I'm not saying there are not differences, but I found them very small, almost undetactable.

TOTALLY AGREED. Equipment makes big differences. Even cables. I believe the quality of the original recording is essential. However- the high-res stuff- very insignificant. Even high bit rate AAC is excellent if the original recording was done well.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #5,820 of 11,282
Hello guys

I still much prefer NOS mode. I think it is still most natural and organic but it is very much affected by the source. If source is poor or the AC noise is prominent the SQ gets pretty bad. It has no digital filter as far as I understand. Sometimes I do OS X 0 which is NOS with digital filter. It gives a cleaner smoother sound but not as thinned out or artificial as OS x4-8. I think the OS may give a more solid layering of instruments and position of instruments but it does lose some of the presence and life-like quality of NOS. OS feels more like listening in a recording studio with good microphone placement. NOS feels like you are in a concerto hall listening, less perfect but more real. OS may be better for poorer recordings or when your AC mains is having a dirty day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back