New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #5,476 of 11,282
I use a passive conditoner by qlshifi, now that you remind me. On all my gears in fact.

Power conditioning is usually beneficial for all components except the power amp, have you tried removing your power amp from it? You might get better results.

I'm going to try it with and without the power conditioner once I get it, it's cheap enough to buy and has good resale value where I am.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #5,477 of 11,282
Power conditioning is usually beneficial for all components except the power amp, have you tried removing your power amp from it? You might get better results.

I'm going to try it with and without the power conditioner once I get it, it's cheap enough to buy and has good resale value where I am.
I have and once i have the di, i will try again.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #5,478 of 11,282

You have to know the qlshifi f1000 i have makes no use of any LRC component so does not restrain current.

What is the conditioner you plan on buying?

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #5,481 of 11,282
@honeyjjack Kingwa thinks highly of the sound improvements obtained by the HE power supplies. Further he states the R8HE sounds better than the regularly powered R7.

"In my mind, I am consider the HE power can boost the sound improves to 200% of the original non HE power unit. I am consider the R8 HE sound obviously better than the R7."

At this point the only feature difference of the R7 (2020) product lines versus the R8s is the R7's ability to accept an external 10M clock. The R7's I/O may be more user configurable as well (like 2 I2S inputs plus USB).

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #5,484 of 11,282
The power conditioner is for the amplifier, it doesn't filter common or differential mode noise, it's mainly for improving dynamics. Unlike current limiting conditioners & regen like IsoTek, Shunyata, PS Audio, this conditioner doesn't affect transient power draw from the mains outlet but rather improves it. Nick Hulgich (guy who made the Duke speakers) recommended it to be used with the Master 2H, so it allows the duo to show their full potential.

Hello Jackula
Wich Power Conditioner do you plan to use with the Master 2H monoblocks that should not affect dinamics? Holton DC Blocker?

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #5,485 of 11,282
I cannot wait until I can afford a pair of Master-2Hs. Hopefully within a year's time.

I had a no idea there was ever an 'HE-2' (*drools*)! I wonder if he'd ever be able to ship them outside of mainland China one amp at a time, as opposed to trying to ship the 100kg at once. Bet that'd sound incredible. One day, perhaps.

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #5,486 of 11,282
There is no doubt the AC power is probably the most important aspect of an audio system. I am listening on Sat AM when all its quiet, and it sounds superb with the R7. I use PS Audio Harvester to monitor the noise from my AC and found a better receptacle that much quieter than the really noisy one that I used to use. It blinks when there is AC noise and supposedly gets rid of the noise as light energy. Now it is not really blinking much. But on normal evenings in weekdays, it blinks like crazy. So the HE option makes lots of sense. I wish Kingwa still has the HE regenerator on its own so one can hook up more components. It may likely works better with individual HE for each device. But I definitely need one for my PC, the noisiest of all my components. I already use 2 isolators but the AC noise is still an issue, hence I am planning to get a power regenerator based on the UPS (interrupted power supply) technology used in commercial industry, where AC is converted to battery DC and then back to AC again, see attached pdf.

Attachments

• PurePowerGold_brochure.pdf
    844.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PurePower Gold 120 MSRP Prices Jan 2018.pdf
    847.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5,487 of 11,282
Hello Jackula
Wich Power Conditioner do you plan to use with the Master 2H monoblocks that should not affect dinamics? Holton DC Blocker?

Yes.

You have to know the qlshifi f1000 i have makes no use of any LRC component so does not restrain current.

What is the conditioner you plan on buying?

Sorry, my error of using the incorrect terminology again. Passive conditioning doesn't limit current per se, but a lot of them (i.e. the ones I listed) limit their immediacy to deliver transient current, I am unfamiliar with your Qlshifi one. Passive conditioning is usually better than active regenerators in that regard, but direct from the wall outlet is generally better than passive conditioning. I still recommend conditioning - or better, regeneration - on source components, it's only big power amps that are affected. Osborn gave me a long speech about power conditioning, short story he got rid of them on his power amps. Kingwa also used to run conditioning on his power amps but no more.

The Holton DC Blocker will do the reverse by removing DC from mains, which should actually improve transient draws compared to standard wall outlets, OTOH it has no ability for differential or CMNR.

I've read from various sources that high-end power conditioning may not affect transient draws, so I've organised a trial for an Isotek Titan (US$4000) at a later stage.

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,488 of 11,282
Has anyone had the chance to compare the r7 to the r8he?

Further to what everyone else has said - it's also important to remember than R7 uses through-hole components and R8HE are surface mounted. Simply put, the difference in their ability to handle mechanical stress i.e. vibrations. Mechnical stress on components affects a whole range of operational parameters, i.e. random noise, jitter performance etc. Clean power is an important aspect, but if both the R7 and R8HE are on glass shelves it may close that gap considerably.

I cannot wait until I can afford a pair of Master-2Hs. Hopefully within a year's time.

I had a no idea there was ever an 'HE-2' (*drools*)! I wonder if he'd ever be able to ship them outside of mainland China one amp at a time, as opposed to trying to ship the 100kg at once. Bet that'd sound incredible. One day, perhaps.

You'd have to chop each HE-2 monoblock in half to ship it. Even with the Master 2H, my understanding is Kingwa sends the monoblocks in separate packaging because they exceed the weight limit when combined.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,490 of 11,282
@Jackula As i understand, the soft start on the master amps have no dc blocking ability? Am i right?

Yes, you're correct.

I was talking to Kingwa about DC on mains a while ago, he said it will affect all his products that use toroidal transformers. The power amps will be the most affected since they have the largest transformers of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back