New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 20, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #4,952 of 11,282
IS anyone interested in buying a R2R7 ? How much is it worth now ? Original, no V2 board or new clock. If I were to sell and then get a new R7 with upgrade, I am hoping to sell at $1800 (so not to get too much loss) but if not, then it would definitely be cheaper to just do upgrade on my old R2R7

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4,954 of 11,282
I asked this question in another thread, but, this one gets so much traffic that I thought I'd pose it here also.

Is it possible/practical to connect my MacMini to the R1 DAC via i2S? That is, is it just a matter of getting the right HDMI cable or will this require other hardware?

-Mike

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #4,955 of 11,282
I asked this question in another thread, but, this one gets so much traffic that I thought I'd pose it here also.

Is it possible/practical to connect my MacMini to the R1 DAC via i2S? That is, is it just a matter of getting the right HDMI cable or will this require other hardware?

-Mike

No, impossible. The R1 DAC HDMI input is a so called "I2S" audio specific interface. Although it looks like normal HDMI port it is not.
HDMI I2S is not a common standard, you need to find a source which is compatible with Audio-GD R1 HDMI I2S input. (There are some like Pink Faun PCIe Audio bridge or. Singxer SU1 / SU6)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #4,956 of 11,282
Reasonable assumption but HDMI protocol is not the same as I2S. HDMI I2S should really be thought of as "I2S over HDMI hardware". HDMI hardware is very fast and low jitter when properly designed and implemented..

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4,958 of 11,282

-Mike
Suggest to get a Gustard U16, which has better price performance ratio.

Mac USB > U16 i2s > DAC

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,963 of 11,282
I have been taking my time to enjoy the R7HE - not leaving it to burn in unattended... it's been here for a week and I'm astounded how good the DAC is with staging, separation and tonality.

i encountered a DSD playback bug with the latest Asy3 firmware, this was verified by the official AGD distributor here in Msia with the shop's R7 as well - detailed feedback has been sent to Kingwa, so hopefully he figures it out soon enough. In any case, I listen to mostly FLAC and TIDAL, so to be safe I have just put DSD playback in Roon to "convert to PCM" for now.

tonight's hours are passing by enjoyably with my LCD-3F playing tunes from the Sansui AU-7700 and R7HE. :)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,965 of 11,282
@UsoppNoKami Good to hear about the R7HE and reporting bugs. You sure have some nice gear. What do you like best for driving the inputs of the R7HE?

I tried the U16 again when the R7HE arrived, it initially seemed like there are fewer issues with the rest of the chain the same when hooked up to R7HE vs using the U16 with the R2R-R1, for whatever reason. nevertheless, after one night of perfect playback, the next time i booted everything up, i got static static and more static. didnt matter how many times i rebooted the U16, it was just not cooperating. i really should do a U16 destruction video for Youtube amusement.

As I hate the U16's random interruptions, i much prefer having the Singxer SU-6 with 0.3m Wireworld starlight HDMI cable to feed the R7HE. As a bonus, my master-11S is also hooked up via RJ45 IIS on the SU-6, so just need minor adjustments in software when I swap DACs for listening. Sound wise, i thought the U16 sounded more 'lush' in the mids vs the SU-6, but I don't think it was necessarily better in any way, just a different presentation. I like how both my R7HE and M11S sound out of the SU-6, so i won't be experimenting further until Gustard gets on top of their serious firmware issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back