New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 11, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #4,847 of 11,278
I was running (and I think many others also) the SU-1 i2s with Master 7/NOS7, occasionally switching PCM sample rates within a playlist without a problem (occasional click).. there is a HF Master 7 thread may have some clues to your problem or maybe someone here can help, I would first try some other playback software on the Mac, then try a different source (PC) to eliminate the source component as the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the info, I did figure it out. I went locally to pickup a 1.5 hdmi cable, and it resolved the issue (I was using 6ft hdmi).
Like someone said, you want the shortest possible cable for i2s.

And ya SU-6 rocks, but I've read U16 is on the same level, just with the compatibility issues you mentioned. It would be awesome to have 10mhz input on SU-6, just to have the option.
That's kinda the next stage one goes if you want more performance than an integrated DDC. These two here, and here, are popular among the audiophile elite.

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #4,848 of 11,278
I don't understand for a single DAC setup why a reference clock is needed unless it provides better system clock capability that local XOs can't provide. You need a quite a complex PLL to turn 10Mhz into audio friendly 22.57Mhz/ 24.576Mhz. Seems like a complex way of handling better clocking.

The best practical application for 10Mhz input is syncing up multiple separate DACs is a surround system. Or traditionally for a recording studio to sync digital recording equipment.

But if audio clocks derived from 10Mhz provides better sound I am all for it. Sorry for some skepticism at this point. I may have to buy an OCXO oscillator and experiment with the U16!

From what I have been reading the past year especially, is that some "pioneer" playback users are finding the quality of the various clocks along the playback chain (starting with the motherboard) have a cumulative effect.
This is even being reported for Ethernet implementations, which I understand should be totally impervious to clock variances as long as the basic standards are met... seems crazy to me, but folks are buying expensive Ethernet switches, routers, etc... That is why I am not even considering any type of streaming, USB is difficult enough and seems we are finally getting a handle on identifying critical USB characteristics such as isolation, power, etc.
I used a master clock in my small project studio many years ago, and my recollection is one of increased stability in the system, not a big jump in sound quality.. actually software (I liked Samplitude) had a much greater effect on the sound quality, but that was a long time ago...

I hope you give some type of 10M source a try with your U16.. if you have the chance, take a look at that manual I just posted, very interesting stuff to me ...

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,849 of 11,278
I2S is a "inside chassie" signal transfer technique. It has never been intended for signal transfer between gears. It is a very "easy to disturb" signal transfer and distances should be held to a minimum and be well shielded.
/Jan

@comzee

Personally I use wireworld cables for I2S. I have their yellow, purple and red cables for HDMI in 0.3 and 0.6m:- 0.3m is more stable as connection using 0.6m would be more susceptible to interference from physical vibration back when I had my gear on the desk. For my incoming R7HE, I will be using the red Starlight HDMI in 0.3m length.

For RJ45 I2S , I have the red starlight 8 CAT8 ethernet cable in 0.5m , very stable as well. Cheap option for RJ45 I2S is the monoprice CAT8 enterprise Ethernet cables, available in 1 foot/0.3m. Very heavy duty and well shielded for CAT-8 compliance.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #4,850 of 11,278
As great as the PCM sound is on the R2R7/R7, and, yes the PCM sound can be very natural and analogue, an excellent DSD sound recording just blows everything PCM away on the R2R7! After adjusting my system to reduce the too much gain the DSD sound is excellent, impeccable atmosphere and sound stage. Now I am still on the V3S FW so the DSD is not affected, so I am curious how the newest TDAFW will change/improve the DSD sound. I will try the available TDA FW from manga that supposedly will work for V1 board too. I am still having some issue with DXD which could just be the recordings as it at times has quite a bit of "compressed" feel + some distortions. I suspect these particular recordings which all have M-CH version are remixed form M-ch surround to Stereo and that often cause more distortion/compression. (When they are played as M-ch these issues are gone) They won't go away despite me adjusting the XLR output and getting rid of gain stage.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #4,851 of 11,278
Seems the .pdf attachment did not work - here is a link to the GPS external clock manual
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ttach=403461&usg=AOvVaw3ZQ-FwkItEVt5DSJeyohva

and props to @roni44

who originally alerted us to this device

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...terface-featuring-ess-usb-chip.888947/page-69

@motberg, I can't take the credit as i was taught by a local user in Taiwan. I assume you have worked out the issue with antenna and positive experience with the clock.

Aug 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #4,852 of 11,278
As great as the PCM sound is on the R2R7/R7, and, yes the PCM sound can be very natural and analogue, an excellent DSD sound recording just blows everything PCM away on the R2R7! After adjusting my system to reduce the too much gain the DSD sound is excellent, impeccable atmosphere and sound stage. Now I am still on the V3S FW so the DSD is not affected, so I am curious how the newest TDAFW will change/improve the DSD sound. I will try the available TDA FW from manga that supposedly will work for V1 board too. I am still having some issue with DXD which could just be the recordings as it at times has quite a bit of "compressed" feel + some distortions. I suspect these particular recordings which all have M-CH version are remixed form M-ch surround to Stereo and that often cause more distortion/compression. (When they are played as M-ch these issues are gone) They won't go away despite me adjusting the XLR output and getting rid of gain stage.
That's interesting, seeing as I recently changed the firmware on the R8 and changed from hqplayer to MPD I thought I would compare some dsf songs from dire straits first album to the same songs converted to wav, and I thought PCM sounded better, it definitely had more dynamics, apart from that they were pretty similar, also my new favorite setting is MPD playing in bit perfect to the R8 in NOS mode with PLL activated on tda_syn, very natural sounding.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #4,853 of 11,278
With all of the positive experiences of the new TDA async, I was very curious to test it. I was using V3 accurate with I2S on IN4. Now that the new TDA was out with IN4 support, I could finally try it! I wanted to share my experiences with you guys.

I did all my testing in both firmwares NOS3, since I use HQPlayer for upsampling (using poly-sync-mqa at 5ms and 384khz). As a source I use a PI -> FIFOPI reclocker with Accusilicon clocks -> short HDMI -> DAC. Using lineair power supplies with multiple IFIs for extra clean power. The DAC is the R2R7, upgraded to R7 with the new V2 boards and Accusilicon clocks and display.

First impressions were quite good, a warmer enveloping sound. In electronic warm sounding songs from Zero 7 for example this was a nice effect.

However after playing more diverse music the sound seemed a lot more colored, and missed the depth, speed and detail of the Accurate firmware. This became especially obvious with classical music, where the coloration on the instruments became more clear, and individual instruments were harder to follow in more complex pieces.

The friend I listened with and I both found TDA in NOS 3 quite a big step backwards. TDA async seems to have more a "sound" of its own, a bit between V3 smooth and accurate. The longer we listened, the more we wanted to put it back in Accurate mode.

When I tested with USB instead, we found the new firmware to play from a USB source better than before. The sound seemed cleaner and with less jitter and smear. So I suspect that the async mode deals better with sources with higher jitter, and our experiences with this firmware are very different depending on the source used.

I understand that it is impossible for mr Kingwa to keep maintaining multiple firmwares, however I hope we can have multiple algorithm settings in the new firmware. For example, some of the Chord DACs have settings for "accurate" vs "smooth". I hope we can have a similar feature in the DAC, so people with different systems can tune the DAC to their needs.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #4,854 of 11,278
@christianvogel Thanks for your report and very timely coming off a week of listening with V3A firmware on the M7S and R7. One thing I noticed months ago with original Asy is that CDs sounded better than higher rez files (>176 kHz) especially on default OS 8x. The SU-6 and U16 sound good with Asy3 but the internally mounted Singxer F1 is so-so. So can still notice differences between I2S inputs. And get the feeling the serial inputs (SPDIF) have always run asynchronously but wonder if any improvement with those inputs? Another thing I notice with Asy is my system "warms up" quicker than using V3A which takes several hours.

I think Kingwa is at the limit of what the current R7-type Singularity board can produce. The FPGA only has limited program space capacity so perhaps has to drop features to add new ones like TDA simulation. And maintaining so many firmware versions is a huge burden.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #4,855 of 11,278
@FredA
Hi, i am actually wondering why, once you have chosen to go to ethernet/wifi streamer, you chose USB out streamer and not SPDIF out one. I chose the Allo digione signature because i thought USB audio was more complex to deal with and could not reach SPDIF. But i probably missed something as your advice is high valued... I also discovered today this company, small green computer. They make ethernet streamers (microrendu, ultrarendu), claim they are pure audio and they have USB only output... Do you think USB audio can be better than SPDIF?
David

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4,856 of 11,278
@FredA
Hi, i am actually wondering why, once you have chosen to go to ethernet/wifi streamer, you chose USB out streamer and not SPDIF out one. I chose the Allo digione signature because i thought USB audio was more complex to deal with and could not reach SPDIF. But i probably missed something as your advice is high valued... I also discovered today this company, small green computer. They make ethernet streamers (microrendu, ultrarendu), claim they are pure audio and they have USB only output... Do you think USB audio can be better than SPDIF?
David
The point was Kingwa's dacs usually sound better through the i2s input. But this could have changed, i haven't compared lately. So if allo had offered a device with an i2s output, i probably would have chosen it instead.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #4,858 of 11,278
I don’t think Allo propose a device with i2s out but that is the purpose of Mano from MagnaHifi, also based on RPI, with integrated LPS and I2S out. I use the Ultra version in my main system and I am very pleased with it.
David

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,859 of 11,278
I don’t think Allo propose a device with i2s out but that is the purpose of Mano from MagnaHifi, also based on RPI, with integrated LPS and I2S out. I use the Ultra version in my main system and I am very pleased with it.
David
Yep, i thought of getting it but had an i2s ddc already so... Waiting for Kingwa's new di to solve all my stability issues.

Aug 12, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #4,860 of 11,278
I was curious about S/PDIF and I had to search for 2 hours to find a 75 ohm cable. Finally found it buried in a box. I haven't listened to S/PDIF on Audio GD DACs in many years. On the R7 w. Asy3, S/PDIF doesn't sound bad but I2S wins with more dynamics, stage, and pop. Easy direct comparison switching between Inputs 3 and 5 driven by the SU-6. Give it a listen if you can find a cable!

The sound quality is why everyone uses HDMI I2S on Audio GD DACs, at least, the R2R-type DACs. Goes all the way back to Master 7 days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back