New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 16, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #4,171 of 11,296
That is good to hear. I certainly notice the improvement with my current DAC paired with the U16. I don’t have a lot of experience with with USB issues, but I have found that my W4S RUR seems to work well.

So far my U16 works with the RUR. We’ll see how things work with the R8. Thank you again for all of this background and for breaking things down where I can understand them.

May 16, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #4,174 of 11,296
Glad I did one upgrade at a time. The DA7 V2s take a while to really smooth out. I think mine are still maturing.

I had that noble idea at fist but couldn't resist doing both the Accu's and DA7-V2's at the same time after a long wait... at that time I still was pleased by having the NFB27.77 as a solid, untouched reference....-So what to do? I swapped the XO's in the 27.77 aswell and in the R28 and finally also in the NBF28.38...of course, so what could I possibly do to further destroy the comparingsituation...? Yes, you have propably guessed already.. I added a set of panel curtins on the back wall and windows in the listening room. This was in the plan and was a very good thing to do for the longer perspective by damping or killing high frequency reflections. Very good result. I can recommend it.

Well, I am very happy with it all even if I acted like an idiot. "Idiot" is not true. The immediate improvements in the performance with the new XO encouraged me to work on. It is now 15 days (~360h) since the first XO exchange (R2R-7) and the maturing is very on going. The ESS dacs instantly gave a very possitive reaction on the AccuXO. The R28 also gave a possitive direct answer.They are all fluctuating.... So it could'n be more correct what @DACLadder (Scott) stated..."Glad I did one...". It is totally confusing to even try to figure out what is happening.. it is more or less changing by the hours. I can take the pain of it ... They all are getting much better.. The AccuXO's is one of the best upgrades yet.

I don't know how long time the V2's need before they are matured and stable but it will come, I know.

/Jan

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #4,175 of 11,296
@JaMo I was wondering about your impressions of the Accusilicon and DA7 V2 changes in your R2R 7. The DA7 V2 DAC board change is very interesting. Sounded OK initially then digressed (brighter and shrill). But things are slowly improving and now more balanced.

First impressions are what sticks when making changes. The DA7 V2s add depth and less grain. Just need the highs to fully settle down. May take 6 months...

Anyone know what Kingwa charges for the DA7 V2 DAC modules? On the recent exchange program it may be a cheaper to buy them versus shipping costs returning the older V1s.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #4,178 of 11,296
@JaMo I was wondering about your impressions of the Accusilicon and DA7 V2 changes in your R2R 7.

I have to come back about this after one or two weeks I think. But in general the sound shines more than before. The ESS dacs and mostly the 27.77 has really come to be an enjoyable dac with the XO's and the OPA2140 servos. The R2R7 have had noise coming and going on DSD64 files. The noise seems to fade away now after just over two weeks. DSD128 has been playable perfectly since the start (transplant). PCM files has no problems but I have to listen more to give a truthful verdict.

/Jan

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #4,179 of 11,296
A change with the da-7 v2 is the layout has been redone, especially the traces from the switching chips to the ladder are more even in length and overall shorter. This should minimize glitches. Timing is key.

May 16, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #4,181 of 11,296
I have to come back about this after one or two weeks I think. But in general the sound shines more than before. The ESS dacs and mostly the 27.77 has really come to be an enjoyable dac with the XO's and the OPA2140 servos. The R2R7 have had noise coming and going on DSD64 files. The noise seems to fade away now after just over two weeks. DSD128 has been playable perfectly since the start (transplant). PCM files has no problems but I have to listen more to give a truthful verdict.

/Jan
You mean with the V2 board on R2R7 you still get noise from DSD ? V2 is supposed to eliminate DSD noise.

May 16, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #4,182 of 11,296
You mean with the V2 board on R2R7 you still get noise from DSD ? V2 is supposed to eliminate DSD noise.

Hi Chopin75,

My noise is a maturing matter on the V2-boards. It will disappear. DSD128 is completely dead silent and have been this way since first start, but on DSD64 there has been noise off and on... but now after 16 days, this noise seems to fade away. Right channel/board is clean, the left still have some weak noise, but as said, fading. The V2-boards will propably need a few months to fully mature.

/Jan

May 17, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,183 of 11,296
Hey guys, a bit off topic. where can one get a great USB blaster ? Are they all the same ? I am going to finally upgrade my V2 to V3. .Thanks!

You can get them on Ebay. Just search "Altera USB Blaster". There is a wide range of offerings from less than $10 to over $300. Many people have had luck with the sub $10 version. I spent a little more money ($24) and got one based off the "original Rev C hardware". It works without failure.

May 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4,184 of 11,296
i bought the original altera blaster from Intel. RIP wallet

May 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #4,185 of 11,296
You can get them on Ebay. Just search "Altera USB Blaster". There is a wide range of offerings from less than $10 to over $300. Many people have had luck with the sub $10 version. I spent a little more money ($24) and got one based off the "original Rev C hardware". It works without failure.

Worth getting a reputable one - The first one I ordered the vendor sent the wrong thing, plus 1 failure so far (PC crashes on connection) - it’s literally stopped me in my tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back