New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 13, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #3,151 of 11,275
No. My amanero is just by itself and it does not have the extra power supply. I did the comparison using the same wird-> intona -> ddc chain. I have an ultra-low noise lps feeding the f-1. But the Crystek found on the f-1 is what make a big part of the difference IMO. The amanero is not bad. The f-1 has quite a big notch over it. As said, it's crisper, clearer and has better lows.
Amanero isn’t bad, but if I could choose, Xmos will always win. In fact, I am looking into replacing my Amanero to Xmos bridge that can do dsd1024 >.< , for my lks004! Lol

For r2r7, I am settled with it PCM performances

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3,152 of 11,275
CCHD575 are inside the SU-1. These clocks can be upgraded , and the performances would have gone up another notch as how sensitive the r2r7 is with sources. I am waiting for Xingser or whatever the heck to come out with DSd1024
AB836DE1-C666-4D6C-8B38-048837BE0825.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,153 of 11,275
That would be very useful. As for R2R-11/28, both are NOS and both use DA-8. Of course the R-28 is balanced and I use it in NOS mode, and it has FPGA which the R2R-11 lacks. So I’m not sure where the R2R-11 issues stem from. Also Kingwa has never acknowledged the R2R-11 has DSD playback issues...

DSD playback with an R2R-11 is an insane waste of disk space and computing power. Decimate the files to PCM and play them back. You wont be able to tell the difference, even on an R2R 7.

This review was done with the old fw. Things shloud be different now as Amos (Currawong ) seems to put the r-28 and chord hugo 2 on similar levels. You should ask him.

No, that is not what I said. I said I could tweak the R28 to the level that THROUGH AN AMP I could not tell a difference. Straight up, direct to Utopias, the Hugo 2 is still much better. It really pisses me off when people claim that I said something I didn't. In the future, please post an exact quote of what I said.

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,154 of 11,275
DSD playback with an R2R-11 is an insane waste of disk space and computing power. Decimate the files to PCM and play them back. You wont be able to tell the difference, even on an R2R 7.

No, that is not what I said. I said I could tweak the R28 to the level that THROUGH AN AMP I could not tell a difference. Straight up, direct to Utopias, the Hugo 2 is still much better. It really pisses me off when people claim that I said something I didn't. In the future, please post an exact quote of what I said.
Sorry. But i really said "seems to" to be fair. I never said you actually said that. I even quoted your exact words. With the progress on the firmware side, it seemed possible that you meant something like that. It was up to whoever to ask you directly. Anyway, frankly, when properly setup and in the best possible conditions, audio-gd's dacs (except the cheapest offerings) can't be easily beaten by any dac whatever the price IMHO. But it's just my opinion. For now, everyone is still allowed to have one, thank God.

These were you original words, as i quoted them in the r-28 thread, taken from the r2r-7 thead:

I was comparing the Yggy, R28 and Hugo 2 using the Master 9, and with the Power Plant Premier feeing them, the iUSB 3 as the digital transport for the R28 (and Hugo 2) and Roon's upsampling, I could get the R28 to be almost indistinguishable from the other two. Granted, this is with headphones and not speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #3,155 of 11,275
Truth! I’ve done just that and couldn’t agree more. Still I’ve kept my DSD files because they took ages to collect, but never listen to them. Thankfully storage is cheap nowadays.

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3,157 of 11,275

Nonsense.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #3,159 of 11,275
R2r7 is not good at DSD512. It is a beast at PCM though
With dsd256 however, using an actual dsd file, it's great. Using on-the-fly conversion on my mac mini, it really ordinary.

Someone would have to try a direct dsd512 i2s signal from a dsd512 file to really evaluate dsd512 or a usb signal with recent usb interface that performs well with that sort of rate. What was your setup?

@Currawong : i should have notified you that i had quoted you, so that you get a chance to clarify your thoughts on the r-28. I apologize.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,162 of 11,275
Also your lks now has a major clock upgrade. I insist cause the test i have done shown that the r7 was able to get a level of realism, smoothness and resolution playing dsd256 you will never be able to hear even playing 96/24 pcm.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,163 of 11,275
I wonder if is it possible to replace the two clocks on the r7, sodering on the original oscillator pins, not having to physically remove the digital board from the dac. I know for a fact that the current clocks, while being very good, can be bettered. They are from Jeyec, i would assume. I once replaced such clocks in a du-u8 usb interface by Crysteks and got a clear improvment.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,164 of 11,275
Another pc? Cause your pc with the pinkfaun board does not do i2s.
My Pinkfaun has always been doing I2S. It does not do USB, but it is dedicated enough to do onboard USB. Then again, I used this for both r2r7 and lks004, the r2r7 can’t even get close in DSD performances.

In fact it was my lks004 that couldn’t catch up with r2r7 in PCM by Pinkfaun I2S. So I found out about the Clocks I need to replace inside the lks004, and now it scales up! My LKS004 now has expensive OCXO inside and it even further enhance the DSD512 but not as much and vastly improved as PCM.

However, since upgrading it, the Pinkfaun PCM into LKS004 sound so freaking good. Still different than r2r7, but so so good. After all, DSD maybe the best way to go, but if it isn’t done right, then PCM done right will always win

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3,165 of 11,275
I wonder if is it possible to replace the two clocks on the r7, sodering on the original oscillator pins, not having to physically remove the digital board from the dac. I know for a fact that the current clocks, while being very good, can be bettered. They are from Jeyec, i would assume. I once replaced such clocks in a du-u8 usb interface by Crysteks and got a clear improvment.
I researched into this, the R7 clocks is soldered on as confirmed by Kingwa

It isn’t easy to better the clock on the R7, unless you do fully dedicated OCXO. But then, the power supply is very limited as supplied on the R7. It is only 20mA as confirmed by Kingwa. There is no OCXO that run such low current. Unless you want to tap into the rail and run another powerful regulated rail for whatever OCXO you want to run.....but these frequencies are not common....I can’t find any good OCXO by this frequency.

I even searched further into Singxer SU1 and it uses CCHD 995 by crystek, it is only common. If you want to better it, you can put in OCXO by modifying around. Then you will need a capable USB with OCXO clock for a source too. This will make sure that you have quality I2S out in the mean of DDC that utilizes the Xmos chip and can do DSD512

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back