New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,371 of 11,260
Got the brightest interconnect i had, which also has a bass boost, and i like what i hear. Brought some needed life. I am happy to have all those diy cables in hand when i need them. This confirm what i mentioned to Kingwa. Needed some additonal punch on both ends.

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,372 of 11,260
Yes please do @barbas

And I figured it only happened to me and Barbas because our computers are so amazing that the R2R7's clocks couldn't keep up
FYI it's only on right channel. Also, for me only certain frequencies trigger it (I neglected to confirm if it's repeatable when I "rewind")

So, are the 6moons settings still relevant to the new FW? What's sounding best?
My Pinkfaun has an OCXO Upgraded Clock, and if the r2r7 can keep up with it, it can kept up with others just fine lol

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,373 of 11,260
Done tweaking until Kingwa does a new version.

I have now a very enjoyable sound. Firstly, i put leaner opamps in my monoblocks, which gave me a rather flat sound. Got rid of the extra fat the former opamps were contributing. Very nice, but a bit too soft, it needed some authority and some sparkle. The silver-plated litz upocc cable i had in hand gave me just that. Sounds like a winning combination. It brought the speaker setup at the same level as the hp setup. Patience is always rewarded. The sound is still laid back enough. No fatigue yet just a lot of fun listening, best sound ever in this room.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #2,374 of 11,260
Done tweaking until Kingwa does a new version.

I have now a very enjoyable sound. Firstly, i put leaner opamps in my monoblocks, which gave me a rather flat sound. Got rid of the extra fat the former opamps were contributing. Very nice, but a bit too soft, it needed some authority and some sparkle. The silver-plated litz upocc cable i had in hand gave me just that. Sounds like a winning combination. It brought the speaker setup at the same level as the hp setup. Patience is always rewarded. The sound is still laid back enough. No fatigue yet just a lot of fun listening, best sound ever in this room.
Replacing the op amps will be a pita, it is soldered on without the dip socket. Any picture Fred ?

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,375 of 11,260
image.jpg
Replacing the op amps will be a pita, it is soldered on without the dip socket. Any picture Fred ?
In my monocblock. See:

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #2,376 of 11,260
Kingwa is busy working on firmware. He sent me a trial version to try with different jumper modes for some functions. Test modes mostly.

And NOS 3 sounds good first power cycle on the very warm R2R 7. More testing tomorrow.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,377 of 11,260
Can be noisier. My late 2012 base mac mini with 8gb is enough for my needs.
Not sure. Some people tried using the quad core and it seems to be better than the Macmini or the less powerful Macbook but then some people run earlier models and they feel the earlier ones are better. Audirvana seems to do great job with the MAC in shutting down the noise.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,378 of 11,260
Not sure. Some people tried using the quad core and it seems to be better than the Macmini or the less powerful Macbook but then some people run earlier models and they feel the earlier ones are better. Audirvana seems to do great job with the MAC in shutting down the noise.
I would not know really. Haven't been on the market for a computer for a while.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #2,380 of 11,260
yup @FredA -- this firmware is definitely gonna kick off wire regression testing
I'm looking forward to trying the SU-1 + I2S again
Just spend $570 on a graphene spdif cable so I'm gonna be pissed if that dethrones the F1!

Someone mentioned that a computer too power might cause issues?
I was just making a joke! Mo coe's, Mo betta

I sold one 6core (used $360 35watt i7) fanless HD-Plex + 200watt LPS build and I have an M.2 coming in the mail today to start a 2nd affordable/conventional i5 6core build (switching PS)

Mapleshade's Pierre Sprey was supposed to bring his friend Anthony Gallo with him this Sunday to guest speak at our monthly audio meet. Unfortunately Anthony was sick that morning, but we still got hours of incredibly insight from Pierre. Pierre strikes the perfect balance between theory->experimentation->execution. He comes from the aerospace industry where they had to turn out product -- definitely not the professor type stuck in utopian theory.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #2,381 of 11,260
yup @FredA -- this firmware is definitely gonna kick off wire regression testing

Mapleshade's Pierre Sprey was supposed to bring his friend Anthony Gallo with him this Sunday to guest speak at our monthly audio meet. Unfortunately Anthony was sick that morning, but we still got hours of incredibly insight from Pierre. Pierre strikes the perfect balance between theory->experimentation->execution. He comes from the aerospace industry where they had to turn out product -- definitely not the professor type stuck in utopian theory.

Gallo himself! if ever you meet him, ask him if he could sell me a conversion kit to make 3.5s out of my 3.1s! Kidding but that would be nice.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,382 of 11,260
I'm looking forward to trying the SU-1 + I2S again
Just spend $570 on a graphene spdif cable so I'm gonna be pissed if that dethrones the F1!

I was just making a joke! Mo coe's, Mo betta

I sold one 6core (used $360 35watt i7) fanless HD-Plex + 200watt LPS build and I have an M.2 coming in the mail today to start a 2nd affordable/conventional i5 6core build (switching PS)

I am debating if I should get the 6core i7 15 inch, vs 4core i5 with the 13 inch. Probably no need to use 6core unless i plan on some hardcore music editing. 16 G Ram should be more tha adequate. The 15 inch larger screen is better for work but 13 inch is more compact. The toolbar is annoying and is likely potential for noise though it is using a separate chip and can be minimized. Plan to run on battery but it is annoying to find it running out of juice late in evening. I may need something like HD-Plex PS.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,383 of 11,260
Kingwa is busy working on firmware. He sent me a trial version to try with different jumper modes for some functions. Test modes mostly.

And NOS 3 sounds good first power cycle on the very warm R2R 7. More testing tomorrow.
Scott, I'm also testing this new beta firmware. Here are my reports to Kingwa:

So far:

BNC (IN1): OS x8 - no glitches; NOS 3 - no glitches
USB (IN6): OS x8 - no glitches; NOS 3 - no glitches
TOSLINK (IN4): still no signal

I've tried 30min aprox. with each input/jumper setting.

These are the inputs I can try, don't have any source AES/EBU or i2s, and RCA coax is not working for some months now.

Have you done anything to address 'pops' when changing sample rate in this new firmware? Because I'm not experiencing them anymore, and I haven't done the DA update yet.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #2,384 of 11,260
After doing all these backs and forths, these are my impressions:

- Spdif is still sounding better than USB (Amanero, no isolation, no external power supply)
- The differences between OS x8 and NOS 3 in terms of quality are not so different now, both are very expansive, detailed and fast. While OS sounds slightly bigger and with more treble extension, NOS 3 sounds faster and tighter on the low frequencies
- I believe I prefer OS x8 by a bit with the new firmware, I have to listen more
- I prefer PLL off now
- Weird thing is I'm not experiencing 'pops' with sample range switch after this new update, spdif or USB, and I haven't done the DA update yet

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2,385 of 11,260
After doing all these backs and forths, these are my impressions:

- Spdif is still sounding better than USB (Amanero, no isolation, no external power supply)
- The differences between OS x8 and NOS 3 in terms of quality are not so different now, both are very expansive, detailed and fast
- I believe I prefer OS x8 by a bit with the new firmware, I have to listen more
- I prefer PLL off now
- Weird thing is I'm not experiencing 'pops' with sample range switch after this new update, spdif or USB, and I haven't done the DA update yet
Any sound difference with the original v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back