New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,356 of 11,282
Have u tried using different music server or source if possible? Not sure if that makes a difference. Any difference with up sampling or not from your PC if u do that at all ?

I am running the same setup I have used for all 3 of my SIngularity DACs - Singxer SU-1 IN5 HDMI I2S and either Amanero USB or Singxer F1 I2S IN6. Run straight WASAPI event from Foobar 2000 so no manipulation of the files. Everything is totally reliable with Accurate f/w prior to loading R7V2. I also play some games and use Spotify with Windows soundmapper set to 96/24. Never an issue with sound on OS x8. When sound is bad it is bad on both IN5 and IN6 - never one or the other..

R7V2 OS modes are stable. I tried x4, x2, and OS NOS today and they play fine with power restarts in between jumper swaps. It is just R7V2 NOS Mode 3 that is giving me trouble.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #2,357 of 11,282
I see, I am getting Jos from Magna to test out mine with NOS 3. Hopefully there would be a newer version later to get rid of the bugs that may be there. I wonder if maybe running Windows vs MAC makes a difference. FredA has no issues currently, but maybe because he has not tried NOS 3. Let’s what he says about NOS 3. I will be using audirvana on MAC like he does.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,358 of 11,282
I see, I am getting Jos from Magna to test out mine with NOS 3. Hopefully there would be a newer version later to get rid of the bugs that may be there. I wonder if maybe running Windows vs MAC makes a difference. FredA has no issues currently, but maybe because he has not tried NOS 3. Let’s what he says about NOS 3. I will be using audirvana on MAC like he does.
Glitches are not exclusive to NOS 3. I experienced mines with both OS x8 and NOS 3.

I'm now running a new file since yesterday which Kingwa provided after correcting the spdif line codes. My R2R is running now 24 hours non-stop with the new file via BNC input, no glitches whatsoever so far. I did not power cicle, nor change jumpers in this 24 hours. I will try this afterwards and report back.

Optical is still not working, but was not addressed in this new file.

Kingwa is right now out of the office for study, he told me he will address all this issues during the next week. Let the man work, I'm pretty sure he will correct all this problems :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,359 of 11,282

Sounds like Kingwa is addressing issues. While waiting on your R2R 7 you may as well go ahead and download the Altera programmer SW to get familiar with loading firmware.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2,360 of 11,282
That is awesome, I have too much things on hands to test different stuff. Thanks you guys for doing it, also, please share new files when possible. Now I will just sit back, relax, enjoy my I2S with 8X-OS, no glitches so far. I always feel the R2R7 are built and evolving around I2S, but whatever asi got it taken care off

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,361 of 11,282
That is awesome, I have too much things on hands to test different stuff. Thanks you guys for doing it, also, please share new files when possible. Now I will just sit back, relax, enjoy my I2S with 8X-OS, no glitches so far. I always feel the R2R7 are built and evolving around I2S, but whatever asi got it taken care off
Same here. No glitches at all. Just enjoying the ride along. I suppose both our digital sources have less jitter than our friends'. I went though a lot of tuning to optimize my digital source. It is now very very good and well burned in.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,362 of 11,282
please share new files when possible
Yes please do @barbas

I suppose both our digital sources have less jitter than our friends
And I figured it only happened to me and Barbas because our computers are so amazing that the R2R7's clocks couldn't keep up
FYI it's only on right channel. Also, for me only certain frequencies trigger it (I neglected to confirm if it's repeatable when I "rewind")

So, are the 6moons settings still relevant to the new FW? What's sounding best?

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,363 of 11,282
Yes please do @barbas

And I figured it only happened to me and Barbas because our computers are so amazing that the R2R7's clocks couldn't keep up
FYI it's only on right channel. Also, for me only certain frequencies trigger it (I neglected to confirm if it's repeatable when I "rewind")

Haven't tested much. Only without jumpers. No sw oversampling seems best because it tends to smooth out the sound and it needs no smoothing. Tonight was not a great night: but the air conditioning is working full blast. Some muffling in the upper range perceived with Milt Jackson's vibraphone. The fw does not like air conditioning. What's good is spatiality it is as good without sw oversampling, which means the new fw is able to extract more from 44/16. I think that more punch in the bass would be nice, perhaps just a deeper one. Depends on the records. Old jazz would benefit from this. The attacks in the upper range also were better with the accurate fw but a good compromise would be somewhere in between. The result is i have to crank up the volume more but at the end of the night, there is no fatigue despite the increase.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,364 of 11,282
I'm now running a new file since yesterday which Kingwa provided after correcting the spdif line codes.

I would be interested in this firmware just to see if it is different with my NOS issue. Even though potentially no code changes in the NOS area just recompiling the FPGA can change internal timing slightly.

Realize it is a interim version and subject to change later. I would be happy to put it up on the network drive and document it somehow to make sense later. Unless, of course, Kingwa said hold off.

Yes, what are the 6moons DSP settings and which f/w did they use? I bet 6moons would pick something else today with R7V2 f/w. OS x8 seems the most commented on here. NOS 3 was really good when it worked correctly for a few hours. I want to try that again.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,365 of 11,282
I would be interested in this firmware just to see if it is different with my NOS issue. Even though potentially no code changes in the NOS area just recompiling the FPGA can change internal timing slightly.

Realize it is a interim version and subject to change later. I would be happy to put it up on the network drive and document it somehow to make sense later. Unless, of course, Kingwa said hold off.

Yes, what are the 6moons DSP settings and which f/w did they use? I bet 6moons would pick something else today with R7V2 f/w. OS x8 seems the most commented on here. NOS 3 was really good when it worked correctly for a few hours. I want to try that again.
Kingwa will release a new official corrected version in short, he's working on it.

We've figured out the problem with toslink not working is because my unit has it placed in IN4 where is HDMI i2s now. After finalizing the new release he will make a specific one to work with my unit...talking about costumer service!

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,366 of 11,282
es, what are the 6moons DSP settings and which f/w did they use?
I think this was 6moons (and I added PLLEN)
upload_2018-7-16_9-7-45.png

What's good is spatiality is as good without sw oversampling, which means the new fw is able to extract more from 44/16
not there yet, but I can see that being the case

The attacks in the upper range also were better with the accurate fw but a good compromise would be somewhere in between
I agree -- I would also say the attacks start for both firmwares start deep in the stage but the old one continued right to or past the seating position, where now the performance is more staying on the stage, a behavior I've always seen with higher end gear. In contrast to that I recall my Gustard USB interfaces would balloon everything into the room.

The result is i have to crank up the volume more but at the end of the night, there is no fatigue despite the increase.
same here -- little to no consequence when cranking the volume on this FW. My early tests were on difficult tracks where I'd normally crank the clean parts and turn it down for the treble crescendos. Now I'm able to listen through at one volume.

My impression so far is that the sacrifices made were worth the benefit, but it's got me thinking about my wires and possibly getting more transparency.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,367 of 11,282
I reread the 6moons R2R 7 review and thanks for the info. They don't mention which firmware version was used. The 6moons review sample had two external I2S inputs + USB so probably uses the special firmware builds for that I/O configuration. The review did mention they had to return the R2R 7 sample to their Dutch supplier (Magna Hifi I assume) to get reflashed. Something did not work with a piece of equipment. Well I think we can fully sympathize with their pain!

I tried ATT0/1 jumpers with R7V2 and they must change the filtering/ slopes. Less top end air, not as dynamic, and narrower stage/ depth. More generic sounding especially with IPS0/1 OS NOS used by 6moons. But can see where those jumpers may work with Accurate f/w in my system. 6moons has a collection of high-end equipment and cables so are capable of way more resolution than my humble gear. Back to OS x8, no jumpers, and all is OK.

Edit: Jos at Magna Hifi said they loaded ‘Smooth’ on the 6moons R2R 7 for the testing when returned from repair.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/audio-gd/1.html

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,368 of 11,282
The new Macbook PROs are out! can be 6 Core, 32 GB RAM !
I heard Quad core, 8-16 RAM works great already, I am not sure if this would be overkill, and even with Multi-channel, it may not need 32 RAM!

https://www.apple.com/shop/bag

Currently I am using MacAir which has some issue with playing DSD or other larger files, probably not enough RAM.
My next upgrade would be Macbook Pro. I am not using MacMini because I need a portable Laptop anyway for work etc, and also play music, not ideal for music but does save some money.
Macbook Pro has the choice of either running on battery without AC power or using a LPS to replace the stock one. Or run on external battery too

My question is, would 6 Core be too fast for R2R 7 ? Someone mentioned that a computer too power might cause issues?

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #2,369 of 11,282
The new Macbook PROs are out! can be 6 Core, 32 GB RAM !
I heard Quad core, 8-16 RAM works great already, I am not sure if this would be overkill, and even with Multi-channel, it may not need 32 RAM!

https://www.apple.com/shop/bag

Currently I am using MacAir which has some issue with playing DSD or other larger files, probably not enough RAM.
My next upgrade would be Macbook Pro. I am not using MacMini because I need a portable Laptop anyway for work etc, and also play music, not ideal for music but does save some money.
Macbook Pro has the choice of either running on battery without AC power or using a LPS to replace the stock one. Or run on external battery too

My question is, would 6 Core be too fast for R2R 7 ? Someone mentioned that a computer too power might cause issues?
Can be noisier. My late 2012 base mac mini with 8gb is enough for my needs.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,370 of 11,282
I reread the 6moons R2R 7 review and thanks for the info. They don't mention which firmware version was used. The 6moons review sample had two external I2S inputs + USB so probably uses the special firmware builds for that I/O configuration. The review did mention they had to return the R2R 7 sample to their Dutch supplier (Magna Hifi I assume) to get reflashed. Something did not work with a piece of equipment. Well I think we can fully sympathize with their pain!

I tried ATT0/1 jumpers with R7V2 and they must change the filtering/ slopes. Less top end air, not as dynamic, and narrower stage/ depth. More generic sounding especially with IPS0/1 OS NOS used by 6moons. But can see where those jumpers may work with Accurate f/w in my system. 6moons has a collection of high-end equipment and cables so are capable of way more resolution than my humble gear. Back to OS x8, no jumpers, and all is OK.

Edit: Jos at Magna Hifi said they loaded ‘Smooth’ on the 6moons R2R 7 for the testing when returned from repair.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/audio-gd/1.html
I used jumpers on att0 and att1 in 8x os mode, plus one on dither. Better attack but treble is better with the V2. I wish i got the attack partially back for guitars. Kingwa will do something about it, he said. Maybe an accurate v2, not sure.,,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back