New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #10,801 of 11,368
I have a AfterDark "Queen," 50 Ohm Sinewave clock on order.

I am looking to get the benefit of an external clock in my setup but am confused to where I can or should connect the clock.

Both my streamer (Hifi Rose RS130) and my DAC (Audio-GD R-7HEMK3) have internal clock inputs. The 50 Ohms is required per the DAC. I connect both devices via i2s. So where should I put the clock. On the DAC or the Streamer? I am a bit confuse why the streamer would even have a external clock input as I would think the signal would be negated once in reached the DAC?

The internal clock of the RS130 is actually pretty good as it is a OCXO clock but it is not used or should I say, "overridden," by the internal clock of the DAC if I am understanding things correct. Why even put a external clock on a streamer only since there is no DAC, won't the connected DAC always become the primary clock regardless if the DAC is using it's internal clock or connected external clock?

My assumption is that I should connect the external clock to the DAC and still use the i2s to i2s connection of the two devices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you in advance.

-Richard
Ideally on both. The priority goes to the DAC. I2s is fine, but wathever sounds best.

Having both connected to a common clock featuring multiple outs provides an additional gain in sound quality. The biggest benefit is with clocking the dac with the Queen, when only one output is avalable .

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #10,802 of 11,368
Ideally on both. The priority goes to the DAC. I2s is fine, but wathever sounds best.

Having both connected to a common clock featuring multiple outs provides an additional gain in sound quality. The biggest benefit is with clocking the dac with the Queen, when only one output is avalable .
Interesting, and thank you for the input. I am wondering if I should go with the LHY AUDIO OCK-2 instead? I did not think about having to connect to both or should I say having the benefit to connect to both.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #10,803 of 11,368
Interesting, and thank you for the input. I am wondering if I should go with the LHY AUDIO OCK-2 instead? I did not think about having to connect to both or should I say having the benefit to connect to both.
Definitely. Get the ock2.

I just acquired a streamer with a 10mhz clock input, I am blown away by the upgrade. I have the streamer, the di20he and he7 mkii all clocked by the same unit. Afterdark also offers a model with 3 outs but you will pay much more to get the level of performance of the ock2. I bought an Afterdark with top specs when it was still only 3k. Now it is over 4k.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #10,804 of 11,368
Also, the sw8 ethernet switch, which is also from LHY and which has a similar psu benefits from using a beefy cord. I can also recommend the Aucharm oil-impregnated fuse as an upgrade for the ock2.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #10,805 of 11,368
Also, the sw8 ethernet switch, which is also from LHY and which has a similar psu benefits from using a beefy cord. I can also recommend the Aucharm oil-impregnated fuse as an upgrade for the ock2
Thanks @FredA. My streamer has fiber in so no need for Ethernet. Makes a huge difference in my system. Once the ethernet from my router is converted to fiber there is no noise to be carried. Or that is what I am led to believe.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #10,806 of 11,368
Thanks @FredA. My streamer has fiber in so no need for Ethernet. Makes a huge difference in my system. Once the ethernet from my router is converted to fiber there is no noise to be carried. Or that is what I am led to believe.
No problem.

No ground noise nor ground loop, but there is still differential noise. The worst is ground noise. It is tough to eliminate. This is what ground boxes are for.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #10,809 of 11,368
Definitely. Get the ock2.

I just acquired a streamer with a 10mhz clock input, I am blown away by the upgrade. I have the streamer, the di20he and he7 mkii all clocked by the same unit. Afterdark also offers a model with 3 outs but you will pay much more to get the level of performance of the ock2. I bought an Afterdark with top specs when it was still only 3k. Now it is over 4k.
Thanks to @FredA and this group, I have cancelled my Afterdark order and have ordered the Beatechnik LHY Audio OCK-2. I did purchased their stock BNC. Hopefully the stock cables will be a decent starting point. I appreciated the help.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #10,810 of 11,368
Thanks to @FredA and this group, I have cancelled my Afterdark order and have ordered the Beatechnik LHY Audio OCK-2. I did purchased their stock BNC. Hopefully the stock cables will be a decent starting point. I appreciated the help.
You can ask them to pre-configure certain outputs to 50-ohm/75-ohm. This will save you from having to take the cover(bottom) off.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #10,812 of 11,368
Best thing is to leave the clock on 24/7. Takes time to stabilize...
Thanks for all the info. Now the question is do I stop using i2s from the Streamer to the Audio-GD R-7HEmk3 with having a single clock attached to both units and use USB to connect the two devices or continue using i2s.

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #10,815 of 11,368

Users who are viewing this thread

Back