New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 30, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #10,787 of 11,368
You dac is 50-ohm unless custom - ordered. Square is indeed best but you need a good cable.
I am super new to Clocks so this is helpful. out of curiosity is 50 less than 75 for quality or does ohms not equal quality?

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #10,788 of 11,368
I am super new to Clocks so this is helpful. out of curiosity is 50 less than 75 for quality or does ohms not equal quality?
The impedance depends on the device to which you connect the clock. Your DAC has a 50 ohms input.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #10,789 of 11,368
Cable impedance needs to be matched with the gears. All 50 or all 75. Good and affordable 50-ohm are rare. Some believe 50-ohm is best for clock transmission but with an excellent cable, either will do. I mentioned the two best choices for reasonable money. Just get the Concentus, it is worth it.

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #10,790 of 11,368
I am actually going with AfterDark, i just need to know if it should be the 50 or 75 sin or square. Here is the spec on the DAC “ Support of external 10MHz clock input (default is 50 ohms) “
Did you already order it? If not, you can still choose 50 or 75 Ohm. Does not matter in terms of quality I believe. My experience is that it is easier to find 50 Ohm cables.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #10,797 of 11,368
Have you tried RopieeeXL ? (I prefer it to PiCorePlayer…)
Ropieee has a limited purpose. It's only an endpoint to which you can stream from a server running a different OS.
I know Ropiee of course. It's a good distribution, and I used it during a few days last month. I did it in a streaming setup that was a bit complex in order to use Gmediarender as a renderer for Roon.
Roon was running on my Mac, Ropieee was the endpoint, and it used Gmediarender from the GenntooPlayer Host.

A few days layer, I found how to do the same without Ropieee, and with the better SQ of the Diretta protocol.
I'm still using Gmediarender as a renderer for Roon, but I do it with the GentooPlayer setup.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #10,800 of 11,368
I have a AfterDark "Queen," 50 Ohm Sinewave clock on order.

I am looking to get the benefit of an external clock in my setup but am confused to where I can or should connect the clock.

Both my streamer (Hifi Rose RS130) and my DAC (Audio-GD R-7HEMK3) have internal clock inputs. The 50 Ohms is required per the DAC. I connect both devices via i2s. So where should I put the clock. On the DAC or the Streamer? I am a bit confuse why the streamer would even have a external clock input as I would think the signal would be negated once in reached the DAC?

The internal clock of the RS130 is actually pretty good as it is a OCXO clock but it is not used or should I say, "overridden," by the internal clock of the DAC if I am understanding things correct. Why even put a external clock on a streamer only since there is no DAC, won't the connected DAC always become the primary clock regardless if the DAC is using it's internal clock or connected external clock?

My assumption is that I should connect the external clock to the DAC and still use the i2s to i2s connection of the two devices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you in advance.

-Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back