New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #8,071 of 11,266
I think i upgrade my Dac for r7 2021 first !
The di20he is a minor improvement ?
Yes, as far as applying the ext clock to it when used with an r7 dac. And with the 2021 upgrade, the usb input is nearly as good as the di20he via hdmi. So yes, starting with the 2021 upgrade is the way to go. Then get the clock.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #8,072 of 11,266
After almost a month of continuous burn-in of the new R7HE Nov PLL firmware, it has settled nicely. Using the 4.096 firmware on the DI-20HE, it no longer sounds too dry with my current cabling. There is still some dryness to it but I would call it tasteful. Such that the accuracy of piano has gone up a notch, where the grains I hear in piano pieces are rendered perfectly when compared to my grand, much better than the old firmware. What I do miss from the older firmware was the bass response, the new bass balance is towards the light side even with the bassy heavy 4.096 - I could only stomach the 4.095 previously, but the bass lines are virtually non-existent on 4.095 now with the new R7HE firmware.

Merry Christmas btw 🎄

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #8,073 of 11,266
After almost a month of continuous burn-in of the new R7HE Nov PLL firmware, it has settled nicely. Using the 4.096 firmware on the DI-20HE, it no longer sounds too dry with my current cabling. There is still some dryness to it but I would call it tasteful. Such that the accuracy of piano has gone up a notch, where the grains I hear in piano pieces are rendered perfectly when compared to my grand, much better than the old firmware. What I do miss from the older firmware was the bass response, the new bass balance is towards the light side even with the bassy heavy 4.096 - I could only stomach the 4.095 previously, but the bass lines are virtually non-existent on 4.095 now with the new R7HE firmware.

Merry Christmas btw 🎄
The driness has gone away in my setup by swapping in a power cable. As for bass, i would also wish for a lttle more but its quality is excellent. Merry Christmas, Jack. And to whoever reads this thead. The truth will set us free.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #8,075 of 11,266
Hi guys,

My friend has a Denafrips Terminator 2 DAC and Gaia DDC, I already heard it several times but not in my own Audio-GD system. Luckily before Christhmas he lend me the whole digital chain, so I could hear the Denafrips in my home.
What I got is a really premium high-end: Auralic Aries G2.1, Terminator 2 and Gaia, all digital cables was Tubulus: AES/EBU, concentus i2s, BNC for clock syncronization. The XLR was Zensati #2.
My chain is Magna Mano ultra streamer, Audio-GD R8 (non HE, 2021 version) dac, HE-1 pre and Master 3 amp, Usher Dancer Mini-X bookshelf speakers with dual Rythmik L12 subs.

Unfortinately I only had 2 days, so I could not make a detailed review.
First I replaced my streamer and R8 with the Auralic/Denafrips trio. Compairing the two digital chain is not fair, because the Denafrips trio cost over 13k USD (mine is about 2,5k).

Without doubt this trio is much much better then mine.
The soundstage was grown, it is deeper and wider than before. All instruments had it's own place exactly contoured. The tonal balance was richer from the highs to to the bass. And everything is so analog.
The Terminator bass is really outstanding. For the first hear seemed to less, but after some track turned out that it is exactly enough. Tight, detailed and never exaggerated.
It was amazing.
But do not forget the analog section: the HE-1 and Master 3 is part of this extraordenary sound.

I think the most interesting part of the test is how sounds the R8 compared to the Terminator?
So I replaced the Teminator to R8, I hoped that there is no I2S pinout problem with the Gaia.
Of course the Terminator better dac then R8, but they sound similiarly. I heard the same neutral and natural R2R sound. In three things the R8 is very close to Terminator. I did not hear significant difference in the high section and dynamics, and the R8 3D soundstage is as good as the Terminator's. The latter was rather wider and R8's rather deeper (I think because of the ACSS cables).
The R8's bass was not as clear and detailed than the Terminator's, sometimes burring.
The midrange winner is the Terminator. Smoother and calmer, the R8 midrange a bit hard and thin, but they are very close each other. One significant difference: the instrument separation is nearly perfect at the Terminator, the R8 is unsettled, not focused, jittered. I think it is because Gaia clock was syncronized to Terminator's.

Finally I did some cable test. My I2S cable is AVplay HD-300 silver from Aliexpress (thanks for @FredA). It is very good cable, but the Tubulus concentus i2s is better in every way. But does it worth 700 Euro? I don't know.
The Nimak Audio 5 acss cable almost as goog as the Zensati #2. There are nuances, maybe the Zensati a bit smoother but they are the same level. And the Zensati price is in the stratosphere.

Instructive was the test, in this level the DDC is necessary. With the Gaia the R8 did a big step forward.
Clock syncronization is also critical.
I don't think to develop towards to the Denafrips. Di20-HE and R7HE Mk2 és cheaper and I hope that with an external clock outperform the Denafrips. And there is a possibilty to sync the streamer and network switch with external clock.

Happy New Year!

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #8,076 of 11,266
Hi guys,

My friend has a Denafrips Terminator 2 DAC and Gaia DDC, I already heard it several times but not in my own Audio-GD system. Luckily before Christhmas he lend me the whole digital chain, so I could hear the Denafrips in my home.
What I got is a really premium high-end: Auralic Aries G2.1, Terminator 2 and Gaia, all digital cables was Tubulus: AES/EBU, concentus i2s, BNC for clock syncronization. The XLR was Zensati #2.
My chain is Magna Mano ultra streamer, Audio-GD R8 (non HE, 2021 version) dac, HE-1 pre and Master 3 amp, Usher Dancer Mini-X bookshelf speakers with dual Rythmik L12 subs.

First I replaced my streamer and R8 with the Auralic/Denafrips trio. Compairing the two digital chain is not fair, because the Denafrips trio cost over 13k USD (mine is about 2,5k).

The soundstage was grown, it is deeper and wider than before. All instruments had it's own place exactly contoured. The tonal balance was richer from the highs to to the bass. And everything is so analog.
The Terminator bass is really outstanding. For the first hear seemed to less, but after some track turned out that it is exactly enough. Tight, detailed and never exaggerated.
It was amazing.
But do not forget the analog section: the HE-1 and Master 3 is part of this extraordenary sound.

I think the most interesting part of the test is how sounds the R8 compared to the Terminator?
So I replaced the Teminator to R8, I hoped that there is no I2S pinout problem with the Gaia.
Of course the Terminator better dac then R8, but they sound similiarly. I heard the same neutral and natural R2R sound. In three things the R8 is very close to Terminator. I did not hear significant difference in the high section and dynamics, and the R8 3D soundstage is as good as the Terminator's. The latter was rather wider and R8's rather deeper (I think because of the ACSS cables).
The R8's bass was not as clear and detailed than the Terminator's, sometimes burring.
The midrange winner is the Terminator. Smoother and calmer, the R8 midrange a bit hard and thin, but they are very close each other. One significant difference: the instrument separation is nearly perfect at the Terminator, the R8 is unsettled, not focused, jittered. I think it is because Gaia clock was syncronized to Terminator's.

Finally I did some cable test. My I2S cable is AVplay HD-300 silver from Aliexpress (thanks for @FredA). It is very good cable, but the Tubulus concentus i2s is better in every way. But does it worth 700 Euro? I don't know.
The Nimak Audio 5 acss cable almost as goog as the Zensati #2. There are nuances, maybe the Zensati a bit smoother but they are the same level. And the Zensati price is in the stratosphere.

Instructive was the test, in this level the DDC is necessary. With the Gaia the R8 did a big step forward.
I don't think to develop towards to the Denafrips. Di20-HE and R7HE Mk2 és cheaper and I hope that with an external clock outperform the Denafrips. And there is a possibilty to sync the streamer and network switch with external clock.

Happy New Year!
Thanks, great write up! Clocking the new r8mkii with an ext. clock would have certainly reduce the gap. And i would think the r7he mkii (with ext clock) can compete or even beat the t2.

Interesting to hear how good my own cables are in the absolute. Nimak also does a 7 cable for twice the money. I think i will send an email to Dubravko about making an i2s cable.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #8,078 of 11,266
True. Also consider upgrade to mk2 when ordering DI-20/HE.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #8,079 of 11,266
Hi guys,

It was amazing.

Happy New Year!

I've compared my previous 2018 R8 with a 2018 R7-HE and the differences were easy to catch. Both fed with the same digital chain: Uptone ER - SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo - Audio-GD DI-20 (non-HE) and a good budget master clock for the DI-20 and the ER.

Also @Ninja Theory try them both and found the differences even bigger than me.

I never tried it, but I also think, as Fred, that the R7-HE MkII with a good clock must be better than the Terminator 2.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #8,080 of 11,266
I've compared my previous 2018 R8 with a 2018 R7-HE and the differences were easy to catch. Both fed with the same digital chain: Uptone ER - SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo - Audio-GD DI-20 (non-HE) and a good budget master clock for the DI-20 and the ER.

Also @Ninja Theory try them both and found the differences even bigger than me.

I never tried it, but I also think, as Fred, that the R7-HE MkII with a good clock must be better than the Terminator 2.
Hi PLGA! Yes for me the differences between the R8 and R7HE was really quite significant across the spectrum (maybe for other ears the differences would be less so, but I have used only Audio GD DACs for a long time now). The R8 is a fantastic and highly capable DAC but the R7HE just pushes everything to a different level. It is a very good DAC with an excellent stage and very well balanced signature (slightly warm, which I really enjoy) -- I do understand most people here find the R7 perfectly neutral but for me it is perfectly warm.

I really enjoyed the R8 but the R7HE is the first DAC I can say I am truly happy with in every way. I no longer yearn for a different or better DAC. I have a Kinki EX-M1+ integrated amp arriving in Jan, as the R7HE demanded a better amp! The R7HE cost me a lot of money because it showed up other weaknesses in my chain for which I had to spend money to fix (upgrade).

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #8,081 of 11,266
Hi PLGA! Yes for me the differences between the R8 and R7HE was really quite significant across the spectrum (maybe for other ears the differences would be less so, but I have used only Audio GD DACs for a long time now). The R8 is a fantastic and highly capable DAC but the R7HE just pushes everything to a different level. It is a very good DAC with an excellent stage and very well balanced signature (slightly warm, which I really enjoy) -- I do understand most people here find the R7 perfectly neutral but for me it is perfectly warm.

I really enjoyed the R8 but the R7HE is the first DAC I can say I am truly happy with in every way. I no longer yearn for a different or better DAC. I have a Kinki EX-M1+ integrated amp arriving in Jan, as the R7HE demanded a better amp! The R7HE cost me a lot of money because it showed up other weaknesses in my chain for which I had to spend money to fix (upgrade).
The Kinki seems like an excellent product. And it got raving reviews. It certainly looks like a great choice.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #8,083 of 11,266
@FredA did you end up getting your crossover upgrades?
No. I bought cables and other stuff instead. I don't regret it. I won't do it. The cost was 2000AUD and i had to return the old crossovers. I was looking at the top Tubulus i2s cable a moment ago. 650usd... Not sure it is worth the expense. I could make my own instead with 150$ worth of material.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #8,084 of 11,266
More on this: i realized that in a sound system, there is what we could call the power chain as opposed to the signal chain.

The power chain is composed of the power amp, its power cable, the speaker cables and the speakers themselves. All these must work in perfect synergy to produce the best sound possible. Testing wth different speaker cables,. I found out that depending on them, i would favor different power cables.

Then there is the signal chain, whose first elements are digital in our modern setups. The synergy is also important there, mainly between the analog parts.

The important thing to note is the signal is like the partition, the conductor, and the musians' minds, and the power chain, the musicians' bodys and their instruments, to keep things simple.

These are the two functional elements which combine into a complete system.

With much time as an audiophile, i came to realize the signal part is of course fondamental and trickier. Once settled, then you can tweak the power chain. Trial and error is what is needed. And reading between the reviews' lines to get a sense of what a potential new aquisition could bring to the table.

This is not an easy road but it's much fun. And power cables are like a magic trick that can have really a significant influence, the one used on the amp, and the one used on the power distributor being the most important. Some power cables will act as power conditioner (having been designed in part to dissipate noise) . In my setup, the most sensitive are the he9 and the Master-3.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #8,085 of 11,266
A note regarding conditioners/filters on individual power cables. It shouldn't be installed on try&error base, it must be a part of a power distribution concept. Such filters generally should be avoided. It create voltage differences between devices and increase ground loops on the data path, something you don't want. In the presence of power surges/blackouts, voltage spikes between devices can damage sensitive inputs.

In summary, unless device inputs are galvanically isolated for at least 1.5kV (including ground wire), power conditioners/filters should be common to all devices in the system. In old turntable days, any errors gave characteristic hum. Now line level inputs do not show the same, errors can be undetected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back