New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #7,878 of 11,266
Is it really a noticeable improvement or is more like a 2%-3% improvement?
Depends on the clock and the dac. With the r7he mkii and an excellent clock, it is subjectively about 5-10% at least. It is not something that will be very obvious, but what will be is the difference with your level of enjoyement. When used to the external clock, you feel something is missing when it is accidentally turned off. Someone with good ears will be able to pass a blind test easily. Imaging/staging and bass are the most obvious things.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #7,884 of 11,266
Evening all!

Apologies if this is the wrong place, or if this has been covered previously but….. I have the Audio GD R8 mkii (liking it very much by the way) but has anyone found a user friendly, English language user manual?

I’ve owned it a few weeks now but daren’t try and change the settings!

Any help much appreciated.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #7,885 of 11,266
Evening all!

Apologies if this is the wrong place, or if this has been covered previously but….. I have the Audio GD R8 mkii (liking it very much by the way) but has anyone found a user friendly, English language user manual?

Read the r7's manual. It will give you an idea of how to proceed. It's in better English.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #7,886 of 11,266
Evening all!

The R8 user manual from audio-gd website: http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R8mk2/R8mk2EN_Use.htm

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #7,887 of 11,266
Hello I a newbie here. Nice to be joining such a big family of users of Andy-GD equipments here.

I am an R7 MK2 owner. I was flashing the new 2021-Oct FPGA firmware to my R7 MK2 a moment ago. However, I plugged the cable to the wrong socket. The cable should have been plugged onto socket B but I somehow made it to socket A!

I didn't notice such silly mistake and flashed the CPLD firmware "clk_sel_R7MK2_PLL_N" to it. Now my R7 MK2 DAC outputs no sound and the front panel of USB inpurt remains as 44.1 regarless of what type of audio files I played on my Windows PC.

I'd be much grateful if someone could send me the original CPLD firmware so that I could flash it to socket A and let the DAC retrieve back to its normal operation.

Many thanks
hh56565.jpg

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #7,888 of 11,266
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #7,889 of 11,266
Oct 28, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #7,890 of 11,266
@mandickay You can find the Xilinx f/w here. https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!557&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

For Xilinx f/w look in "R7 MK2 Original PLL' directory. The file for header "A" in your picture should be "IIS_pro.jed". And the original PLL firmware for header "B" is 'R7_10m_clk_sel.jed".

Let us know if this works!
I flashed back the "IIS_pro.jed" to header "A", the front lcd panel displays the frequency as 48.0 regardless of what type of quality of music file I played on my Windows PC. The functionality of auto-sensing the sample rates of source file failed, and no sound coming out from USB as well.

I flashed "R7_10m_clk_sel.jed" to header "B", which meants to turn both A & B Xilinx back to their originals , it did not help. The situation remains unchanged.

I then flashed both FPGA and CPLD to the latest 2021-Oct firmwares, nothing changes at all. No sound, no auto-sensing functionality of input file. I tried the IIS connectoin, and these problems remain.

I think I am having a rather serious issue here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back