New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #7,681 of 11,266
Is this the same cable that @PLGA shared earlier?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOqtNJH
Yes it is. For audio-gd, the "Plan 4 for dsd" is the option to choose.

The most suprising is the effect. Quite obvious one of improved clarity. Knowing the r7 throws aways the clock of the incoming signal, the only explanation as to why the difference is likely that it helps reducing the noise level within the fpga. And thus the da7 conversion boards receive an even less jittery signal. How this noise reduction occurs exactly is unknown to me.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #7,682 of 11,266

The most suprising is the effect. Quite obvious one of improved clarity. Knowing the r7 throws aways the clock of the incoming signal, the only explanation as to why the difference is likely that it helps reducing the noise level within the fpga. And thus the da7 conversion boards receive an even less jittery signal. How this noise reduction occurs exactly is unknown to me.
Very good deal for so much money. I'll give it a try, too. :)

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #7,683 of 11,266

I might have to try this.. I know PLGA loves it as well. I recently ordered an AudioQuest Carbon HDMI, so will wait to hear that first.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #7,685 of 11,266
Hi guys
I know this is somehow out of topic.

Has anyone of you compared the AGD Master 1 preamp vs the AGD HE-1?

I'm thinking about upgrading my M1, wich I like a lot, but as I have a dedicated AC line and good power filtering I'm not sure how much would I improve the SQ and if it would be worthwile the expense.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #7,686 of 11,266
Speaking of the hdmi-i2s cable., it sounds well from the start. But after 70-80 hours, and assuming it's the cable, i can't see what else, i get the best staging, imaging and clarity ever tonight. It took a step.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #7,687 of 11,266
Hi guys

I'm thinking about upgrading my M1, wich I like a lot, but as I have a dedicated AC line and good power filtering I'm not sure how much would I improve the SQ and if it would be worthwile the expense.
Going to the he9 from the m1 was a significant step for me. Blacker background, more analog sound, more micro-info. I was very happy with my purchase. The change was from a 2013 m1 to a 2019 he9.

My setup is just so ridiculously good tonight. Excuse the worn out expression: the band is in the room. I am falling asleep (i am exhausted) but can't go to bed.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #7,689 of 11,266
Another thing i realized, thanks to @sajunky, is electromagnetic cross-contamination of power occurs on the power bar, the cord plugs being so close apart and the live and neutral having quite some space between them. All my cord now have shielded plugs. I ordered and installed plugs for the last one remaining without. Not just this, unshielded plugs act like antennas.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #7,690 of 11,266
Going to the he9 from the m1 was a significant step for me. Blacker background, more analog sound, more micro-info. I was very happy with my purchase. The change was from a 2013 m1 to a 2019 he9.

My setup is just so ridiculously good tonight. Excuse the worn out expression: the band is in the room. I am falling asleep (i am exhausted) but can't go to bed.

Thanks Fred.

What about dynamics? Did that improved?

You have a dedicated AC line, isn't it?

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #7,692 of 11,266
Hi guys

I have heard both but never side-by-side, and neither with the same gear. My experience with the Master 1 made my decision to buy the HE-1 and use it as a preamp over my HE-9. I've posted my impressions between HE-9 and HE-1 awhile back, and the HE-1 is a significant improvement over HE-9.

If I could quantify this, I'd say *if* adding the AfterDark Giesemann Eva to my R7HE and DI-20HE brought about a 30% additional enjoyment for US$3K, while going from the HE-9 to HE-1 brought a 100% additional enjoyment for US$2.2K.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #7,693 of 11,266
Ok guys.... you have convinced me. I will go for the HE-1 and I will post my impressions over the regular M1 in november, considering I already have a dedicated AC line, a Holton DC Blocker and a Audioquest Niagara 1200!

This hobby kills any wallet :beyersmile:

By the way, in november I could offer my M1 for sale. We'll see.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #7,695 of 11,266
Ok guys.... you have convinced me. I will go for the HE-1 and I will post my impressions over the regular M1 in november, considering I already have a dedicated AC line, a Holton DC Blocker and a Audioquest Niagara 1200!

This hobby kills any wallet :beyersmile:

By the way, in november I could offer my M1 for sale. We'll see.

I still have my old Isotek power conditioner (filters 65dB vs Niagara's 20dB), I found it quite good and helped my overall enjoyment (pre-AGD regenerative) but it still suffered relatively poor listening experience for certain periods of the day. With AGD regenerative the sound quality is more consistent regardless of the time of day.

The Holton DC Block did nothing for my DAC, HE1 and HE9, but did wonders for my AGD monoblocks. Improvement to dynamics and heft was very obvious and overshadowed the improvements to transparency. Obviously, you would never plug power amps into power conditioners, as it makes everything sound constrained - the opposite of what the Holton DC Block does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back