New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #7,591 of 11,266
Amazon only have the 1.5m Cinnamon for delivery to my country (South Africa). The 0.75m does not deliver to South Africa. Would there be a difference in SQ between 0.75m and 1.5m? Edit: Sorry Crow, I see now that you're also from SA :)
I would advice to go the shortest lenght possible. I would buy a more expensive USB cable that you could compensate the cost with a shorter lenght.

I use a Curious Evolved USB cable 0.4m long and I'm very happy. It's not cheap, but very good. It's fair to say that I've only compared it to a 1m long DH Labs USB.

I believe you could find better than a 1.5m Cinnamon for similar money. Maybe some folks here, with more experience, can share their thoughts.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #7,592 of 11,266
In my opinion a short cable as possible and thick wires is needed between PC and a ground loop redirector device. It should be such device in a chain, even an ordinary self-powered 2.0 hub. Then a cable to a DAC can be longer.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #7,593 of 11,266
In my opinion a short cable as possible and thick wires is needed between PC and a ground loop redirector device. It should be such device in a chain, even an ordinary self-powered 2.0 hub. Then a cable to a DAC can be longer.
Thx. In my case the USB cable is running from my streamer (sOTM SMS-200) to the DI-20. Which brings me to my next question, should I be looking at some sort of "audiophile" ethernet cable? I recently bought a few 1m HP-DHC-CAT8 cables to run from PC to switch and switch to streamer, PS5 etc. They look good, but they were also cheap (not sure if price is a valid indication of a poor product).

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #7,594 of 11,266
When streamer is not a PC, there is less noise circulated. There was a discussion on a local forum and not all agree with me, but I am against shielded cables. Twisted pair (Cat5e) is optimal in home installation. Twisted pair blocks high frequencycommon noise (but not 50Hz and harmonics), it is very important. There is more noise on the transmission wires, but as long a noise is not generating transmission errors (calling for packet retransmission - delays), it is fine. Up to 100 meters there is no uncorrected errors, it is a requirement. Your connection is only 1m long...

A shield protects data wires, but brings common mode noise, frequently from distant places. Now you need to deal with a proper shield termination, but not all equipment has shielded connectors. Even if it does, there is a dilemma: terminate shield or leave it open... one side (which one work better) or both sides??? People who argued with me spent lot of time trying to establish an optimum configuration. There is no general guideline. When it accelerate a problem, you start looking for the audiophile grade switches. :)

My suggestion is to use a dedicated switch in the location close to the main switch device (the only streamer plugged in to this switch). A similar solution to USB self-powered hub. It will block most of noise from all other devices connected to the main Ethernet switch. Alternative no cable connection to the main network, but a small WiFi extender plugged to a wall socket. Disable internal WiFi adapter on the streamer (if present). A short Ethernet cable plugged to your streamer. Configure extender in network adapter mode and you are protected.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #7,595 of 11,266
When streamer is not a PC, there is less noise circulated. There was a discussion on a local forum and not all agree with me, but I am against shielded cables. Twisted pair (Cat5e) is optimal in home installation. Twisted pair blocks high frequencycommon noise (but not 50Hz and harmonics), it is very important. There is more noise on the transmission wires, but as long a noise is not generating transmission errors (calling for packet retransmission - delays), it is fine. Up to 100 meters there is no uncorrected errors, it is a requirement. Your connection is only 1m long...

A shield protects data wires, but brings common mode noise, frequently from distant places. Now you need to deal with a proper shield termination, but not all equipment has shielded connectors. Even if it does, there is a dilemma: terminate shield or leave it open... one side (which one work better) or both sides??? People who argued with me spent lot of time trying to establish an optimum configuration. There is no general guideline. When it accelerate a problem, you start looking for the audiophile grade switches. :)

My suggestion is to use a dedicated switch in the location close to the main switch device (the only streamer plugged in to this switch). A similar solution to USB self-powered hub. It will block most of noise from all other devives connected to the main Ethernet switch. Alternative no cable connection to the main network, but a small WiFi extender plugged to a wall socket. Disable internal WiFi adapter on the streamer (if present). A short Ethernet cable plugged to your streamer. Configure extender in network adapter mode and you are protected.
Thoughts on slotting in an ethernet data isolator between the streamer and the switch? Something like this. Edit: Thx for the WiFi extender link above. Will read up more.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #7,596 of 11,266
Thoughts on slotting in an ethernet data isolator between the streamer and the switch? Something like this. Edit: Thx for the WiFi extender link above. Will read up more.
This isolator should work better than USB isolators, as there is no DC negotiation, no shield. Still 5-times to expensive considering cost of components. Ethernet connection is typically isolated on both sides. Adding extra isolator doesn't harm.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #7,599 of 11,266
Wow, that's a pricey filter.

Has anyone tried cheaper Ethernet filters that were worthwile the expense?
I have not tried the above but I have tried an optical media converter. I use and LPS to then power raspberry Pi and the end unit of the optical converter which has been a big difference for me. Better bass definition and better imaging

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #7,600 of 11,266
IMG-20210822-WA0021.jpeg

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #7,601 of 11,266
Wow, that's a pricey filter.

Has anyone tried cheaper Ethernet filters that were worthwile the expense?
The Network Acoustics Eno is the EtherRegen alternative (I think). I have seen good feedback for it as well.

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #7,603 of 11,266
The Nimak 5 ACSS arrived yesterday. Out of the box it sounds already superbly. Hey men, this is really a top notch cable. :)
The high voices, the details, the balance are fantastic. The bass a bit thin, but i think it will be improved in burn-in time.
How many hours does it need?
In the burn-in process should I turn the preamp on? Or the streamer and the DAC is enough?

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #7,604 of 11,266
The Nimak 5 ACSS arrived yesterday. Out of the box it sounds already superbly. Hey men, this is really a top notch cable. :)
The high voices, the details, the balance are fantastic. The bass a bit thin, but i think it will be improved in burn-in time.
How many hours does it need?
In the burn-in process should I turn the preamp on? Or the streamer and the DAC is enough?
Top notch cable indeed. It needs 350h. It will sound edgy at around 250h. Now, it should have some charming mid emphasis. It will become more neutral as it goes. In the end, it sounds like you have no cable.

Give it two or 3 days, the bass will kick in. As for leaving the pre on, i don't think it is needed, as long as the dac input is selected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back