New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #8,014 of 11,282
I've read some reviews of the Holo May and think I will stick with the Audio GD DACs. The May measures phenomenally and I'm sure ASR members will drool over it. But one report (HeadFi) has May sounding laid back compared to the Chord-MScaler. Another reported the May was congested on loud orchestra passages compared to some other expensive DAC. And I see a some people selling May's after 6 months of use.

Also read a comparison yesterday of the R7 2020 to the Denafrips Venus. The Venus is also soft compared to the R7. Softness is what I did not like with Yggy v1 vs old Master 7. (Same with the MSB Analog DAC comparison).
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/audio-gd-r7-2020-version-review-r2r-done-right/

I can also highly recommend both the R7HE MK2 and HE7 MK2. The pair are dynamic where the HE7 seems to be a bit more but R7HE is more resolving. The HE7 is a touch warmer but delightful coloration. We are talking slight differences and don't think I could pick which in a blind test. And with the latest f/w PLL_N both DACs sound great. I can drop either DAC into the system and not have panic attacks. :)

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the pasture... But good to keep eyes and ears open.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #8,015 of 11,282
I've read some reviews of the Holo May and think I will stick with the Audio GD DACs. The May measures phenomenally and I'm sure ASR members will drool over it. But one report (HeadFi) has May sounding laid back compared to the Chord-MScaler. Another reported the May was congested on loud orchestra passages compared to some other expensive DAC. And I see a some people selling May's after 6 months of use.

Also read a comparison yesterday of the R7 2020 to the Denafrips Venus. The Venus is also soft compared to the R7. Softness is what I did not like with Yggy v1 vs old Master 7. (Same with the MSB Analog DAC comparison).
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/audio-gd-r7-2020-version-review-r2r-done-right/

I can also highly recommend both the R7HE MK2 and HE7 MK2. The pair are dynamic where the HE7 seems to be a bit more but R7HE is more resolving. The HE7 is a touch warmer but delightful coloration. We are talking slight differences and don't think I could pick which in a blind test. And with the latest f/w PLL_N both DACs sound great. I can drop either DAC into the system and not have panic attacks. :)

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the pasture... But good to keep eyes and ears open.
The external clock is a significant plus. Resolution, staging and bass go to the next level. I doubt the May can match this. Also, Kinwga adds distorsion on purpose to make the sound more real (paradoxically). Because of this, his dacs will not measure very well. It's all about what you hear of course. For true audiophiles anyway.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #8,017 of 11,282
Dec 3, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #8,020 of 11,282
The external clock is a significant plus. Resolution, staging and bass go to the next level. I doubt the May can match this. Also, Kinwga adds distorsion on purpose to make the sound more real (paradoxically). Because of this, his dacs will not measure very well. It's all about what you hear of course. For true audiophiles anyway.
I think he does not add distortion in the design. It is because the output stage does not apply negative feed back that makes THD is higher but sounds more natural. It is more like the design of a tube amp.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #8,021 of 11,282
I think he does not add distortion in the design. It is because the output stage does not apply negative feed back that makes THD is higher but sounds more natural. It is more like the design of a tube amp.
That is correct and the opposite of what @FredA said.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #8,022 of 11,282
That is correct and the opposite of what @FredA said.
Ask Kingwa, i am not sure where it's done. But this description of this AS-1 dac states that disto is added on purpose (not with the AS-1 however) :

Who need the AS-1:
AS-1 is not the lowest distortion DAC in world, but it had the ultra low distortion and price is not expensive.
AS-1 is not only declare with the words has low distortion, we offer the measure diagram for every single unit (It is normal that the THD has few DB different, the first 20 units offer AP SYS-2722 measure diagram, after that will offer AP ATS-2 measure diagram, ATS-2 measure diagram will has around 6DB worst than SYS-2722, but it is not mean the unit performance worse), verify by the professional instruments is welcome.
We known that the proper 2nd THD makes the sound become smooth and rich, the proper 3rd THD makes the sound become transparency and lively, how to adjust the level of 2nd and 3rd THD is the secret technology of the designers, that is why some audio devices have the higher distortion like phono, and some few very expensive European made audio devices had better musical to most people than some others low distortion devices .
We had not applied technology method to adjust the AS-1 THD effect the sound flavor, we just made it has the very low distortion , and through selected the different parts apply to keep the sound listening pleasant . It is not the audio-gd house sound style.
Who need the AS-1?
I guess that is in below:
1, Who concern the specs at first .
2, Who want a monitor sound to test the cable, room, speakers or somethings of audio.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #8,025 of 11,282
Hi guys,
I'm wonder how huge difference between r8 mk2 and r7he mk2? It's 3 times more expensive and last one is out of stock in my country...
I'm looking for a pair to my new HE9 amp+lcd4. Current DAC is Exogal comet....don't want be on same level in case of change DAC and looking on next level...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back