New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #7,427 of 11,368
Thoughts on the 2021 R27's DAC section with the upgraded clocks and USB interface? - seeing that it's an AIO with an R-8 DAC section (albeit I assume not the MK2). If this is a feasible option without too much compromise on the DAC section over the R-8 MK2 then it means I would not lose the Master 9 amp section option when I sell my NOS11.

I forgot to mention that in my Audio-GD journey I also had the R28 but I changed to the NOS11 because I found the R28's amp section rather flat, it just wasn't meeting my expectations (although I quite enjoyed its DAC section). Thankfully both the NOS11 DAC and amp sections were worthwhile upgrades from the R28 - moreso the amp than the DAC - and have kept me happy since (the R28 is basically an AIO R1 DAC / NFB1 amp).
It's a good choice, with indeed similar amp section, beefier psu than the nfb-28.The amp should be rather flat thought. I use my r7he mkii/he9 combo with a warmish headphones. I just got the Music Master E1000s and just love them in this setup. This is sort of like a Chinese LCD-3/4. The monolith M570 are also a good match.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #7,429 of 11,368
Thoughts on the 2021 R27's DAC section with the upgraded clocks and USB interface? - seeing that it's an AIO with an R-8 DAC section (albeit I assume not the MK2). If this is a feasible option without too much compromise on the DAC section over the R-8 MK2 then it means I would not lose the Master 9 amp section option when I sell my NOS11.

I forgot to mention that in my Audio-GD journey I also had the R28 but I changed to the NOS11 because I found the R28's amp section rather flat, it just wasn't meeting my expectations (although I quite enjoyed its DAC section). Thankfully both the NOS11 DAC and amp sections were worthwhile upgrades from the R28 - moreso the amp than the DAC - and have kept me happy since (the R28 is basically an AIO R1 DAC / NFB1 amp).
Another upgrade path would be to get he7 mkii. The signature would be closer to your nos11. The amp are all rather neutral thoughout the lineup.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #7,430 of 11,368
Another upgrade path would be to get he7 mkii. The signature would be closer to your nos11. The amp are all rather neutral thoughout the lineup.
It's a bit more than I want to spend right now but also if I make a change for the DAC section, which is what I'm thinking, I want to move to either an R8 or R7. If the jump from R8 to R7 is a last 10% SQ thing then I'd probably be happy with the R8 and the money saved.

What's got me thinking now though is should I be considering the R27? Because it has the R8 DAC section (with the Master 9 amp section being a nice option to still have).

That said, does anyone here know/have experience or thoughts on the differences between the R8 as DAC in an AIO vs. the R8 as a standalone DAC - i.e. the R8's performance in the R27 AIO vs. standalone.

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #7,431 of 11,368
It's a bit more than I want to spend right now but also if I make a change for the DAC section, which is what I'm thinking, I want to move to either an R8 or R7. If the jump from R8 to R7 is a last 10% SQ thing then I'd probably be happy with the R8 and the money saved.

What's got me thinking now though is should I be considering the R27? Because it has the R8 DAC section (with the Master 9 amp section being a nice option to still have).

That said, does anyone here know/have experience or thoughts on the differences between the R8 as DAC in an AIO vs. the R8 as a standalone DAC - i.e. the R8's performance in the R27 AIO vs. standalone.
Standalone vs separate should be quite close. But I think i would stick with the nos11 as amp and get either the r7 mkii or r8 mkii depending on if you want the external clock input.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #7,432 of 11,368
Standalone vs separate should be quite close. But I think i would stick with the nos11 as amp and get either the r7 mkii or r8 mkii depending on if you want the external clock input.
Thx Fred. Your reply gives me some food for thought "standalone vs separate should be quite close". That and previous comments help narrow down my options.
  1. R27 2021: $2k - the R27 with upgraded clocks and USB would replace the NOS11 (I would sell the NOS11)
  2. R8 MK2: $1.8k - I would sell the NOS11 to help fund the R8 (so if I go with this option, I lose the Master 9 in the NOS11)
  3. R7 MK2: $2.6k - Given the commentary today, I think I would be happy with the R8 for now...
This seems to lead me back to making a choice between option 1 and 2. So if the R8 AIO (R27) vs. standalone (R8 MK2) should be quite close, then I have plenty to think about because if I go with the R27 I would still have it's Master 9 as a second amp in my setup.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,433 of 11,368
I agree with @FredA. R27 hasn't been upgraded to the MK2 digital board yet. It is better to have the latest board with optimised clock design. All future firmware improvements will focus on the MK2 board and I like the latest non-PLL clock synchronisation method on the I2S port. Better performance with DI-20.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #7,434 of 11,368
I agree with @FredA. R27 hasn't been upgraded to the MK2 digital board yet. It is better to have the latest board with optimised clock design. All future firmware improvements will focus on the MK2 board and I like the latest non-PLL clock synchronisation method on the I2S port. Better performance with DI-20.
Are you sure the R27 2021 Edition is not updated to the MK2 digital board? If I read the R27 2021 Edition feature set it appears it may have been upgraded (R27 2021 Edition product page) and (R27 user manual). I stand to be corrected of course, it's a genuine question.

Edit: I also read this in the R27 2021 Edition manual: "All digital process mode settings accessible by buttons on front (No need to open the chassis)".

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #7,435 of 11,368
Are you sure the R27 2021 Edition is not updated to the MK2 digital board? If I read the R27 2021 Edition feature set it appears it may have been upgraded (R27 2021 Edition product page) and (R27 user manual). I stand to be corrected of course, it's a genuine question.
Sure. All versions 2021 have upgraded peripherals; isolators on USB, HDMI, etc. Main digital board upgrade is only in MK2 version.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #7,436 of 11,368
Sure. All versions 2021 have upgraded peripherals; isolators on USB, HDMI, etc. Main digital board upgrade is only in MK2 version.
Thx. I appreciate this info

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #7,438 of 11,368
@Ninja Theory. It is a feature difference. If you are going to upgrade to the external clock in future, your target is R7. If not, expect the same level of performance from the R8MK2.
If the difference between the R7 and R8 MK2's is features, are these features as in components that improve SQ without the need for additional hardware or features like the external clock that require additional hardware to see SQ gains?

If I'm understanding correctly, you guys are saying that in stock form the R7 and R8 MK2 are very close in terms of SQ? If this is the case then why would you say the (few) R7/R8 comparisons around the interwebs all place the R7 as a noticeably better DAC than the R8? (not to say the R8 is a poor performer, on the contrary, the comparisons I could find all praise the R8 at its price point - but they do make it clear that it's no R7).

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #7,439 of 11,368
If the difference between the R7 and R8 MK2's is features, are these features as in components that improve SQ without the need for additional hardware or features like the external clock that require additional hardware to see SQ gains?

If I'm understanding correctly, you guys are saying that in stock form the R7 and R8 MK2 are very close in terms of SQ? If this is the case then why would you say the (few) R7/R8 comparisons around the interwebs all place the R7 as a noticeably better DAC than the R8? (not to say the R8 is a poor performer, on the contrary, the comparisons I could find all praise the R8 at its price point - but they do make it clear that it's no R7).
The r7 is better but not by a lot. The r8 is a cost-reduced version, money is saved mostly in the chassis and the digital board. It does not take as long a burn-in. The r7 mkii requires over 1000h. But using a quality external clock, the r7 mkii will perform significantly better, depending on the clock of course.

The r8 is a better value soundwise.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #7,440 of 11,368
The r7 is better but not by a lot. The r8 is a cost-reduced version, money is saved mostly in the chassis and the digital board. It does not take as long a burn-in. The r7 mkii requires over 1000h. But using a quality external clock, the r7 mkii will perform significantly better, depending on the clock of course.

The r8 is a better value soundwise.
Thx for this. Do you think the R8 MK2 would be a marked DAC upgrade from the NOS11 DAC section (PCM1704UK) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back