New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #557 of 11,266
Nice price point on R2R 1. Again, when does goes Kingwa have the time? If he keeps this up he have something else before the year’s end!
There is supposed to be a new ddc at some point. If Kingwa comes out with a breakthrough design using Crystek clocks, it could be my next purchase, i'll see. My usb chain with Singxer F-1 beats the excellent Amanero input by a fair margin. Better low end mainly.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #558 of 11,266
I like the Singxer slightly better as well on either the S7 or M7S for music listening. The Amanero is dedicated for computer audio like YouTube and games - and does a great job. A DDC would be killer if in the Singxer class or hopefully above.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #559 of 11,266
beats the excellent Amanero input by a fair margin. Better low end mainly
the weight of the bass is what I remember from the femto clock DDC I was using last

A DDC would be killer if in the Singxer class or hopefully above.
I'm holding onto my mapleshade vivilink2 just for when that day comes

BTW
Just got off the phone with a friend in TX. Tried to tell him to get the R2R1 and he said it's too late because his R2R11 just arrived an hour ago. He's beside himself with how good it sounds -- said he picked up his 5yr old PS Audio and ceremoniously threw it in the trash! I love hearing reactions like that.
R2R1 > CJ Premier 17LS > CJ EV2000 > Wilson Sophia

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #560 of 11,266
the weight of the bass is what I remember from the femto clock DDC I was using last

I'm holding onto my mapleshade vivilink2 just for when that day comes

BTW
Just got off the phone with a friend in TX. Tried to tell him to get the R2R1 and he said it's too late because his R2R11 just arrived an hour ago. He's beside himself with how good it sounds -- said he picked up his 5yr old PS Audio and ceremoniously threw it in the trash! I love hearing reactions like that.
R2R1 > CJ Premier 17LS > CJ EV2000 > Wilson Sophia

Me too, i like hearing these. Laughing my axx off. :floatsmile:. Wilson Sophia, >20k? Sounds like your friend will order the r2r 7 pretty soon. Or rather the HE version!

Whatever was off last night (my amps are my prime suspect otherwise, the grid or could by my ears), it's not tonight. Sounds so wonderfully good. Liquid, expressive and pinpoint accurate. The band is right here for yet another memorable concert. I love Sonny Rollins and he's on fire tonight.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #561 of 11,266
Listening to Sonny Rollins (still), Our Man in Jazz, Oleo. The drum solo in the middle is more real than reality itself. Really. In a world where all is fake, it's a breath of fresh air.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #562 of 11,266
I'm using r2r 2 which i bought as soon as when it released.
Actually r2r 2 was not enough to show off itself, as much as r2r 11 has two da8 modules.
Would be very impressive if Kingwa offer two of additional da8 modules, as DIY or upgrades, so thus be like r2r 1. but this seems not gonna happen as r2r 2 is single ended?
I think r2r 1 destroyed both r2r 2's and r2r 7's value :frowning2:

R2R24.jpg

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #563 of 11,266
I'm using r2r 2 which i bought as soon as when it released.
Actually r2r 2 was not enough to show off itself, as much as r2r 11 has two da8 modules.
Would be very impressive if Kingwa offer two of additional da8 modules, as DIY or upgrades, so thus be like r2r 1. but this seems not gonna happen as r2r 2 is single ended?
I think r2r 1 destroyed both r2r 2's and r2r 7's value :frowning2:

I don't think so. There should be only a small difference between the two. Even with the r2r 7, the step up should not be so big. It's the law of diminishing return. Yours is possibly the best value. If you don't own a balanced amp, they are possibly equivalent, or the r2r 2 even better.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #564 of 11,266
audio gd amp have built in dc servo,in the dac also.Transformator powered dc servo,j fet stage,dsp,all together really degrade the sound quality.
The multiple rail u cap powered r2r boards direct connected to preamp without any stages,become million $ sound.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #565 of 11,266
The R2R 1 uses the DA-8 modules and the R2R 7 uses DA-7 modules. I don't know what the difference is between the two but I don't think the R2R1 destroys the R2R7s value. The old Reference 5 certainly did not destroy the Reference 7s value when they were around and they used the same chips.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #566 of 11,266
I think r2r 1 destroyed both r2r 2's and r2r 7's value
I don't think the R2R1 destroys the R2R7s value.

Yeah, R2R2 is done
and looking at the R2R1 vs R2R7 graphs, I honestly don't see a difference. So DA7/DA8 isn't such a big difference after all?
I'm guessing there will be a freeze on orders for the R2R7 until the verdict is out on the R2R1

[unrelated]
Kingwa shouldn't advertise HDMI and RJ45 w/o mention of IIS.
Denafrips refers to them as HDMI(LVDS) and RJ45(LVCMOS)

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #567 of 11,266
I don't think so. There should be only a small difference between the two. Even with the r2r 7, the step up should not be so big. It's the law of diminishing return. Yours is possibly the best value. If you don't own a balanced amp, they are possibly equivalent, or the r2r 2 even better.

Probably you're right. r2r 2 already have great value and compared to bimby which is not in my hand now, i barely see the difference between two in detail retrieval is subtle but only just matter of flavor.
Just what i can see in appearance is killing me now.

And i know if i want to setup balanced configuration, then the most should i get is a balanced amp.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #568 of 11,266
I’m not totally sure but the latest R2R modules may be compensating for discreet resistor ladder errors while the prior did not. Low-level linearity graphs would be nice for comparison.

Several years ago Kingwa was concerned about using the term “HDMI” and avoided LVDS IIS. “LVDS IIS utilizing proven low-jitter HDMI hardware” may cover the legal bases. I don’t feel too sorry for HDMI.org as they make money on each connector and cable sold for IIS. Plus free advertising.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #569 of 11,266
the latest R2R modules may be compensating for discreet resistor ladder errors while the prior did not

in here he says
Accuracy of the ladder resistors (tolerance):
The solution is to correct the ladder and not only depend on the tolerance of resistors. It’s a combination of both: Ultra-low tolerance resistors controlled by a correction technology using very high speed FPGA are applicable in in our design.​
but if you scroll down to these sections ..
Importunacy of the FPGA in the R2R 7:
FPGA tasks in the R2R 7
... you'll see no mention of correcting resistors

does anyone know ...
1) what the physical resistor precision is
2) if correction is being applied

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #570 of 11,266
The solution is to correct the ladder and not only depend on the tolerance of resistors. It’s a combination of both: Ultra-low tolerance resistors controlled by a correction technology using very high speed FPGA are applicable in in our design. but if you scroll down to these sections .. [B said:
Importunacy of the FPGA in the R2R 7:[/B]
does anyone know ...
1) what the physical resistor precision is
2) if correction is being applied

1) Read their website "Accuracy of the ladder resistors (tolerance):" I would say. The tolerance is minor detail, expect they do not use 1% LOL
2) Yes, Each resistor ladder is corrected using an high-speed Xilinx CPLD chip. (Complex programmable logic device). For a balanced dac, there are 4 in total. In my humble view website is correct: It explains the Altera Cyclone FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) functions, not the CPLD for ladder correction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back